Thread: Alright you guys were right

Default Alright you guys were right

Today I stoped into my local shop and asked what he would suggest for a good mild cigar. He told me a Macanudo so I bought one as well as a Punch. Haven't smoked the Punch yet but the Macanudo was great! Much better than the Acid I had before. Thanks again
    "Frankenstien never scared me. Marsupials do, because they’re fast." - Kevin Pollak as Christopher Walken

bigpoppapuff Guest

macanudo is overpriced shit...why not just light up an envelope...many of the same flavors.....go buy a baccarat...excellent starter cigar with flavor......

friends don't let friends smoke macanudo's......if i'm giving you advice..you've gotta listen to me...

It was a hell of a lot better than the Acid I had before.
    "Frankenstien never scared me. Marsupials do, because they’re fast." - Kevin Pollak as Christopher Walken

Blog Entries

Now now, I'd say ukyfan is taking a step in the right direction so let's not be so hard on him.

However ukyfan, bigpoppa has an excellent suggestion for a mild cigar so see if your local guy has any of those for you to try. I can guarantee you that you will enjoy those much more than a Macanudo
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

bigpoppapuff Guest

no question about that...now go get a baccarat.....nice flavor....excellent noob cigar...

Well what about Punch? He said that was a good one as well.

bigpoppapuff Guest

punch is a fuller-flavored cigar than a macanudo.....macs are from the D.R.....punch from honduras,as are baccarat. i'm actually surprised that the guy would suggest both...when one is envelope mild and the other is fuller.

i'll be very surprised if you don't enjoy the baccarat.

I enjoy Punch quite a bit, excellent everyday smoke and a very well priced cigar. They taste much better than the mac which isn't a terrible smoke, however considering that you'll pay at least $6 per mac and can get Punch for between $2.50 and $4.00 it shows how overpriced they are. If you have the option try a Punch Rare Corojo and try some Maduro wrapped cigars as well you'll find they have a nice smooth flavor. Good move leaving the flavored Acids, if the tabacco is good you don't need to add flavoring.

Also consider trying sancho panza dbl mad, and ex. Frt. both are great smokes, far better than the Macs and at least half the price.

reaganyouth84 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by prophetic_joe
    I enjoy Punch quite a bit, excellent everyday smoke and a very well priced cigar. They taste much better than the mac which isn't a terrible smoke, however considering that you'll pay at least $6 per mac and can get Punch for between $2.50 and $4.00 it shows how overpriced they are. If you have the option try a Punch Rare Corojo and try some Maduro wrapped cigars as well you'll find they have a nice smooth flavor. Good move leaving the flavored Acids, if the tabacco is good you don't need to add flavoring.

I agree with Joe's suggestion with the Punch Rare Corojo. They are pretty good smokes for the price. I think the Hemingway Short Story is a pretty good fairly mild smoke for around 4 bucks.

-Mike

If you like the Punch, try the new Libertad. There's something about that ring gauge that I love... Makes all the difference with that smoke. Although it is a tad more powerful than the Mac...

Quote Originally Posted by prophetic_joe
    The mac was like $5.25 and the Punch was $4 I think. Now as I was looking around in there they had some cigar that was in its own wooden box for like $30 a piece . I didn't get the name of it, but there were others of the same brand there with it. I don't see how I could ever pay that much for *one* cigar! Well if I had Bill Gates type money I would prob try it.

13. Default

Don'tbe dissing Macanudo so fast, they are the number one selling cigar in the US. If you are looking for a mild consistent cigar then you cannot go wrong with a Mac.

My old man smoked the Prince Phillips everyday till the day he died. He could afford any cigar he wanted and had access to Cuban cigars anytime he wanted them. To him the Mac was the perfect cigar, no I didn't agree with him, but that is what he liked to smoke so who are we to say people like that should smoke something else.

Smoke what you like and don't worry what others think.

bigpoppapuff Guest

i won't deny the name that macs have...that doesnt mean they're a good cigar...they're just an easy buy for a cigar smoker who hasn't stepped up.....i stand by what i said...get a business envelope and light it up...many of the same flavors of a mac.....are there better cigars...yes...are there better and less expensive milder cigars...absolutely....

15. Default

Go with Big's suggestion....... He wont steer ya wrong! You might like the Punch though.....
    "I Smoke in Moderation.... Just One Cigar at a Time." Mark Twain

reaganyouth84 Guest

The H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon is another good choice. You can find those, depending on size, for around 4-6 bucks. I think they are a great smoke. Bigpoppapuff knows his stuff though, I'd listen to his advice.

-Mike

17. Default

Never really liked the Mac naturals...The maddies are smokable. They actually have some flavor.

You might also want to consider Don Diego, or the Don Diego Playboy if you like a mild but well constructed mild cigar. Por Larranaga, either the dominican or the (preferable) honduran blends are also excellent, in my opinion. I also like Cuesta Rey for a nice mild-medium bodied cigar. If you like the Macs, stay with 'em.
    Hap

I highly recomend the Cuesta Rey as a milder newbie cigar, especially the 8-9-8 or the 1884. The Pyramids are a little stronger, while the Aristocrats my just be too much cigar in length for a newbie.Watch out for some of the cheap mild cigars because mild stands for tasteless.

Quote Originally Posted by ukyfan
    ..$30 a piece... I don't see how I could ever pay that much for *one* cigar! Well if I had Bill Gates type money I would prob try it.
    I work in a smoothie bar and am forced to pay that or more if I want a good cigar here. For example, for the price of 2 Chisel Maduros i could buy a box online. No bullshit. I can't wait till I move to the US in a few months. (speaking of which, I'll be in New Brunswick, NJ from
    around the middle of April until the end of August or a little later. I expect to be meeting some people and finally participating in some things where the bloody border doesn't interfere with the mail.)
    Last edited by thepyrofish; 01-15-2006 at 03:18 PM.

Thread Information