Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xikar cutter worth the price?

Default xikar cutter worth the price?

now i use a guillotine cutter, which i think works nice. But was just wondering if the Xikar cutter is actually worth $50-$60 which i've seen it for

Blog Entries

I have been asking myself the same question for sometime now... I have a nice credit card sized wallet cutter and a bullet cutter on my key chain. The credit card sized cutter is going to need replacing soon though... It looks like you could almost fit one in your wallet.

You can find one for ~$40 if you shop around.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

My wife gave me one for my birthday last year. I don't know if it cuts your cigar better than a cheap cutter, but it's way cooler and a lot more fun. I really like mine.

Personally, I think the Xikar Multi-Tool is the way to go. It folds and goes on the key chain for $19.99. It has the same quality as the X2s for much less.

I have a Burlwood cutter also, and it works fine. It is dulling, but comes with a guarantee. Just send it back and they will send you a new one. Also, when you register it, they will send you a leather case to keep it in.

I think they are worth it and you can find brand new ones on Ebay for less than $40. Thats where I got my, also got a free 3 trouch lighter with it.

is the multi-tool xikar cutter strong enough to make a good cut? the pics kind of make it look flimsy, also do they last pretty long?

7. Default

I have several of the cutters and found the multi tool to be the best. The original xikar tends to pinch my hands when I use it. I carry one of their bullet punches as an "in case of emergency" cutter, but the multi tool has been my primary cutter for a while now.

Default Just got Mine!

Got me a gift set with the Xi Cutter and 4 Olor Fuerte cigars (dark Nat 5x50). The whole thing was $35.90 at Famous Smoke Shop . . . best price I have seen for just the cutter! Not sure about the cigars but I will let you all know. Anyone had these before
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing
    Got me a gift set with the Xi Cutter and 4 Olor Fuerte cigars (dark Nat 5x50). The whole thing was $35.90 at Famous Smoke Shop . . . best price I have seen for just the cutter! Not sure about the cigars but I will let you all know. Anyone had these before

So, I imagine that you've had some time to break this puppy in. How do you like it? Do tell.

Cigars . . . smoked one and it was good.

Cutter . . . excellent! Works very well, easy to use and VERY sharp. The main screw was loose and it fell apart though. Fortunately it was easy to put back together. Also . . . it comes with a warranty that they will fix or replace it as well as sharpen it for life.

I like it alot and for the price it cannot be beat. I will give it
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

SFG75 Guest

Glad to hear that you like the Xikar. I have yet to run across anyone who is dissatisfied with them. Even if you get hosed on the price, you'll find that they are more than worth the money. I understand totally about the main piece being loose. A bud of mine had the same problem, but he put it all back together with no problems at all. The only bad thing about double-bladed guillotine cutters is that after some time, a little "play" will develop which will lead to wrapper issues. But with a good warranty from the company, all's good. That's what I love the most about my own pierce cutter. I've ordered replacement blades when I noticed that the cap on a few cigars were getting more "crushed" than pierced. My own double-guillotine blade is made by Cuban Crafter's.

For the money I wish my woman would of purchased a XICAR multi tool.

She paid 40.oo fir an Xi cutter for my birthday last year.. While I was in Vegas I saw a nice xicar multi tool onsale for 30.oo at the Davidoff store.. I wish I would of bought it.. Luckily my buddy bought one..

My wife bought me a stainless Xicar for xmas last year. A bit of a shock to see a $60 cutter when I unwrapped it, but I have to say it was worth every bit. Anyone who's had a bad cutter before needs one of these. And with the warranty, unbeatable cutter.

Default Speaking of the Warranty . . .

As I mentioend before mine fell apart but I was able to put it all back together. Then the plastic on one of the pop-out sides fell off! WTF! Remember this was only a month or so old.

So I contacted Xikar customer service. They immediately returned my email and not only were they going to replace the cutter . . . they offered to send me the better all metal version Xi instead of the Xi2 plastic one I had before.

Xikar ROCKS!

whoops.

Actually just got mine (off of cbid for $22.00)

My other cutter, which I have had for about 6 years now, is colibri that cost me $60 and I have been very happy with it. It's just a guillotine that you can replace the blade on.

So far I am at least equally happy with my Xikar. Still don't know if it's "better" but it is indeed much cooler. Delivers a nice cut and it's a conversation piece.

Also, I have heard they have great CS.

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

Default Lighter or Cutter

Well, you could get a xicar for around 22, or if you spend around 40, you can get yourself a colibri lighter off ebay (use the vendor mydiscountlighters) that has a cutter or three different sized punches built-in (the three punch one, the 'Tri-cutta', is what I have and it rocks). Only downside is they cannot go on airplanes, not even in checked luggage anymore.

Peace

Default In case you wanted to see one . . .

Here is a link to one up for auction:

Xikar + 4 Cohiba Red Dot

Default I go with VTcrosscut....

it works fine. But I think it's a design thing. It looks cool! (and that's OK) There's nothing wrong with cutting in style!

I had one for a time but sold it on eBay (really!). They are really nice, but I don't think they work any better than most guillotines. The warranty thing is cool, but if it dulls you have to send it away. Then what do you use? The $5 special!

I use a bullet punch, a cheapie v-groove or a double guillotine $5 special. Functional, affordable, I can have multiples. One in the car, one in the desk, one in the bedroom, etc. and if I lose it, who cares? It's only a few bucks.

20. Default

I also prefer the bullet punch to other cutters, than again I have yet to use a cutter over 40 bucks.

K&P

Thread Information