Thread: Fluctuating humidity

Question Fluctuating humidity

So, I just reseasoned my humidor after i finally bought my first box! The humidor went from 30 sticks up to 50-60 sticks. So now that i've got the humidor reseasoned and stocked i noticed that the humidity will flucuate over the corse of the day. 65% in the morning, 71% in the afternoon, 62% at times. I want to keep my investments safe and in a stable enviroment so what should i do? I am comtiplating ordering some beads, but would that solve my problem?

I have a glass top 85 count humidor, in my room, temp usually 68 Degrees, and out of sunlight. I have one openned jar of cristyles and a rectangular humidifier with distilled water.

bigpoppapuff Guest

try to keep it btwn 62-65%...71% is too high....

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    try to keep it btwn 62-65%...71% is too high....
    I am trying but the humidity keeps fluctuating. So do you have any expereince with fluctuating humidity? Or use with beads keeping the humidity constant?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Cabaiguan Juan
    I am trying but the humidity keeps fluctuating. So do you have any expereince with fluctuating humidity? Or use with beads keeping the humidity constant?
    Beads certainly help to keep the humidity level.

If you just give it some time, it'll probably level out. Adding that many sticks can totally send your humidity for a loop, especially if you're trying to add or remove water to your humidifier every time you see a change... :)

Ok, thanks Superchuck. I've never been known to be a patient person (or a good speller). I guess Ill see what happens.

Blog Entries

Spikes in a new humi are normal. Mine first one did the same thing for 3 months, now it run's like a champ.

Best way to stabilize the Rh in your humidor is to not watch it as often .

There is plenty of moisture in the cigars, wood and humidifier. The hygrometer is measuring the teensy weensy amount of moisture (total) in the relatively small amount of air in the humidor.

As all the components equalize in moisture content, the moisture in the air tends to bounce around, your cigars are not changing moisture content drastically.

Have faith, and let everything settle down over a period of time. How long? Depends on how far apart the moisture in the wood is from the gars, amount (volume) of gars, amount of free airspace, humidifying system, etc. If everything is relatively in balance, things should stabilize in a few weeks.

Be sure to smoke a cigar every now and then to relax while this happens.
    In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

8. Default

...and when you add more cigars, your RH is going to fluctuate pretty dramatically. If the sticks are dryer than your humi, they'll absorb a lot of moisture. If they're damp, like make stores sell them, your RH will go up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat
    Best way to stabilize the Rh in your humidor is to not watch it as often .

Be sure to smoke a cigar every now and then to relax while this happens.
    Now here is really, really great advice!
    puro pot pass VI loser

Thread Information