Thread: Real Difference between Dominican and Cuban

1. Default Real Difference between Dominican and Cuban

Hello I am not saying I am an expert in any way, but I was recently deplyed to Kuwait with the Army Reserves.
    While there I began smoking cigars on occasion (again) because I really needed a way to relax, on base at the PX's they had legal Romeo Y Juliet or Cohiba that were made in the Dominican Republic and other US approved places but we also had the ability to purchase Cuban when off-post.

When I tried to do a comparison between both I could tell the difference in taste, I am now back in the states wanting that Cuban flavor (not asking where to purchase them) and I wanted to know if anyone could recommend a cigar that has that full thick flavor that Cuban's have......

Also I have also found some cigar companies www.pablamos.com based out of Spain that says they have the ability to ship cigars made from Cuban grown tobacco but rolled in Spain to the U.S. from what I understand the best that can be originated from Cuba are those that are made from the seed of Cuban tobacco but planted some place else......

Quote Originally Posted by alfredtv
    Hello I am not saying I am an expert in any way, but I was recently deplyed to Kuwait with the Army Reserves.
    While there I began smoking cigars on occasion (again) because I really needed a way to relax, on base at the PX's they had legal Romeo Y Juliet or Cohiba that were made in the Dominican Republic and other US approved places but we also had the ability to purchase Cuban when off-post.

When I tried to do a comparison between both I could tell the difference in taste, I am now back in the states wanting that Cuban flavor (not asking where to purchase them) and I wanted to know if anyone could recommend a cigar that has that full thick flavor that Cuban's have......

Also I have also found some cigar companies www.pablamos.com based out of Spain that says they have the ability to ship cigars made from Cuban grown tobacco but rolled in Spain to the U.S. from what I understand the best that can be originated from Cuba are those that are made from the seed of Cuban tobacco but planted some place else......

Most of the non-Cuban cigars are "cuban seed". unfortunately, they usually don't have the Cuban flavor because they're not grown on Cuban soil...

the closest to that flavor is the Tatuaje line of cigars... If you can find them, definitely worth the price if you like that flavor profile. Otherwise, you just gotta experiment - there are a number of great non-Cuban cigars out there. You just have to satisfy your tastes....

Blog Entries

What GG said is true. Only true Cuban is a Cuban. However, there are some awesome none-cubans in the American market that you would like. There really is no Domestic (None-Cuban) cigar that can match a Cuban. However, there have been a few Cigars that have given Cubans a run for their money. Tatuaje, A. Fuente Opus X, and Padron 26' & 64' are a few that just come to mind.

Welcome to CSmokers!

I'd recommend Camacho Corojo nacionales for you to try. They are pretty full bodied (strong) like a cuban and to me, the last 1/3 of the cigar often reminds of a Cuban Montecristo #4. They are also available at good prices by the stick or by the box. JMO
    Who the hell's been peeking at my member?

5. Default

thanks for the responses, I am definately going to have to try out Tatuaje.

How do you guys feel about the Cigar Oasis XL ?? I saw it in my ThompsonsCigar catalague and think its a great item to have in a good humidor.

Quote Originally Posted by alfredtv
    thanks for the responses, I am definately going to have to try out Tatuaje.

How do you guys feel about the Cigar Oasis XL ?? I saw it in my ThompsonsCigar catalague and think its a great item to have in a good humidor.
    They are fine, also try yahoo and ebay auction sites.

No cigar has the Cuban taste except of course the Cuban cigars. The Cammacho are not bad and are the only non-Cuban a friend of mine will smoke if he can't get a Cuban. Soil and climate contribute to the flavor and there is no exact match. Not sure if I care about the origin of the seed. These are agricultural products with variability.

Well I find that Cubans have a distinctive taste but are not necessarily better than NC's. I'm enjoying a fine mix of both Cubans and NC's nowadays, and what I smoke depends on my mood, but in no way would I ever go all-Cuban, there are too many sweet NC smokes out there that match them in quality and bring me to that elusive state of bliss we all desire.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka
    Well I find that Cubans have a distinctive taste but are not necessarily better than NC's. I'm enjoying a fine mix of both Cubans and NC's nowadays, and what I smoke depends on my mood, but in no way would I ever go all-Cuban, there are too many sweet NC smokes out there that match them in quality and bring me to that elusive state of bliss we all desire.
    What he said...

Believe me - while you may like a certain "profile" of a Cuban cigar you smoked, but if you continue to try different brands and vitola's (Cuban and Non-Cuban), you'll find there are certain cigars you'll like and others you'll dislike. Not all Cuban and/or non-Cuban cigars are created equal...

Now you will understand the frustration many cigar smokers have. Some are lucky to hit on a particular cigar that fits their flavor profile. Most others keep looking for that "right" cigar. There are some cigars I know I'm going to enjoy, so a keep a few of them around. But I really do enjoy trying new cigars to see if I'm going to like them or not.

I'm still amazed when I find a cigar that just does the trick at that very moment (like yesterday - when I had my first 3 yr old Juan Lopez Selecion #2 - what a NICE smoke...) But - you will also try a particular cigar (like the Juan Lopez) and find you only liked the aged ones, versus the raw ones. And how much age is on a cigar will change the characterisics...

Welcome to the club, brother!!! You're hooked now!!!

Thread Information