Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SmokinDVM

Default SmokinDVM

Question. Me and my Mom are having a discussion. She says that if I don't get my two year old female Shephard "fixed" her chances of Ovarian cancer go up, unless she has babies. If I find a proper boyfriend for her I would like puppies, but the chances aren't that great. I don't think I want her fixed either, unless it is beneficial to her health. I love her a lot after all So, if she doesn't end up having puppies, should I have her fixed? Thanks in advance.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

If you have her fixed, her chances of ovarian cancer would be 0. Her ovaries are completely removed in a spay surgery (which is more accurately called an Ovariohysterectomy).

Actually, whether she has puppies or not, every time she goes into heat, her chances of mammary adenocarcinoma (breast cancer for dogs) goes up. If spayed when young, before their first heat cycle, the percentage that develop mammary cancer is right around 0%. It also prevents a multitude of other severe problems like pyometra (a uterus that fills with pus due to abnormal heat cycles common in older dogs).

I would have to say you should have her spayed. There will always be plenty of great puppies available whether you breed her or not. She will be MUCH healthier and happier if she doesn't have to go through the whole ordeal.

ok, what about the male version of this answer, regarding neutering and whether it helps prevents prostrate cancer. And comments on a male's aggression level before and after.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

I recently had one of my hounds castrated and he has been having a few mood swings since, though I understand that he will calm down again after a while.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Sometimes it takes them a couple of months to adjust.

I have a question also if I could Doc.

I have three cats, all of whom like to play/fight, etc. I noticed that one of them (Simon) had more eye crusties than usual in the corner of one of his eyes. Eye itself looks ok (doesn't appear to have any scratches on the cornea) - but the duct area is more red than the other one. Can't tell if it got scratched, and I don't know if it warrants a visit to the vet, if it will go away on its own, or if I can give it something from the home med cabinet.

Thanks in advance!

Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

SmokinDVM, I think you need a thread similar to BPP's "how can I help". I have a question. We have a cat who is beginning to loose some of her hair on her back. We just moved into a new house and have been entertaining a lot, so we thought it may have something to do with that. We've recently noticed that she isn't eating very much. She's about 14 years old. So now we're curious if something could be seriuosly wrong with her.

Quote Originally Posted by WOXOF
    SmokinDVM, I think you need a thread similar to BPP's "how can I help". I have a question. We have a cat who is beginning to loose some of her hair on her back. We just moved into a new house and have been entertaining a lot, so we thought it may have something to do with that. We've recently noticed that she isn't eating very much. She's about 14 years old. So now we're curious if something could be seriuosly wrong with her.
    Agree with WOXOF on the Vet thread - seems like a lot of us have pets and would appreciate the advice if you have the time.

As for WOXOF - just from my cats - sounds like she's stressed - new environment, perhaps not as much attention/added commotion. Just curious - have you tried wet food? (When one of my cats got sick and wasn't eating, I would feed her wet food (her fav) - the kind that is in chunky pieces, and I'd count the pieces out to figure out her appetite). And make sure you give her LOTS of attention. Hope she's ok - but definitely would like to hear the doc's advice.

also - my cats love this stuff as a treat, esp after trauma when they don't want anything else:

Well, we've been in our house now for about 3 months. It's only getting worse. She's a very picky eater. I don't think she'll eat any other food, but we may have to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mauied1101
    I have a question also if I could Doc.

I have three cats, all of whom like to play/fight, etc. I noticed that one of them (Simon) had more eye crusties than usual in the corner of one of his eyes. Eye itself looks ok (doesn't appear to have any scratches on the cornea) - but the duct area is more red than the other one. Can't tell if it got scratched, and I don't know if it warrants a visit to the vet, if it will go away on its own, or if I can give it something from the home med cabinet.

Thanks in advance!
    If your cat is squinting (blepharospasm) then take it to a Vet.
    If everything else is OK, keep it clean using a cotton ball that's been dampened with warm water, just damp not dripping wet. You should clean it 3 times a day or more if the crust builds up that fast. The crust can continue to irritate if left in place.
    If it doesn't start to improve within a couple of days, see your Vet, or if it gets worse at any time, see your Vet.

Good luck

THANKS DOC! Appreciate the fast response!

PM sent.

my chiuahua has a hole is the top of its skull, which i read is pretty common. sometimes it swells there for no reason, should i be worried?

Quote Originally Posted by WOXOF
    Hair loss, or alopecia, can be from several different causes. Stress is definitely one of the possibilities, especially if she's done this before. However, when stressed, they more commonly pull the hair out on their abdomen, not their back. If you use a good flea prevention, like Frontline or Advantage, then I would have the Vet check it. Even if it's just stress, they may be able to stop the problem with an injection of Depomedrol, or they may see evidence of some other cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake
    my chiuahua has a hole is the top of its skull, which i read is pretty common. sometimes it swells there for no reason, should i be worried?
    How old?
    Any signs of neurological deficits?

I've got to leave for work, I'll get back here and answer more later, but it's probably not a huge concern especially if it's young and has no other signs of problems. Very common problem in chihuahuas. Most of them I see have some degree of open fontanels.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinDVM
    How old?
    Any signs of neurological deficits?

I've got to leave for work, I'll get back here and answer more later, but it's probably not a huge concern especially if it's young and has no other signs of problems. Very common problem in chihuahuas. Most of them I see have some degree of open fontanels.
    he's only a year old and probably the smartest dog i've owned.

bigpoppapuff Guest

barry...thanks for all the info......my 12 year old cocker spaniel (the one we spoke about last summer) has cherry eye.......can anything be done (short of surgery) to clear this??....

No problems with my two cats... I love 'em. But I thought I would post to say "thanks" on behalf of all the pets mentioned in this thread . Awesome SmokinDVM.

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

Quote Originally Posted by Drake
    he's only a year old and probably the smartest dog i've owned.
    You sure he meant the dog Drake?
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinDVM
    If your cat is squinting (blepharospasm) then take it to a Vet.
    If everything else is OK, keep it clean using a cotton ball that's been dampened with warm water, just damp not dripping wet. You should clean it 3 times a day or more if the crust builds up that fast. The crust can continue to irritate if left in place.
    If it doesn't start to improve within a couple of days, see your Vet, or if it gets worse at any time, see your Vet.

Good luck
    Barry, now that's just poor advice to give a cat owner. All answers regarding cats and any breed of dog that is 20 pounds or less are just shoot the damn things. Put them out of their misery. There is no point in harboring rodents in your abode, so just kill them. Especially with cats, although my loathing of rodents people call dogs is growing by the minute the more I see men carrying them around or being walked by them. Either way, the answer is shoot and kill the thing.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by basil
    You sure he meant the dog Drake?
    i hope so

Thread Information