Thread: Cuba wasted?

Default Cuba wasted?

Does anyone really know that much about Cuba? I was thinking about it, and it seemed to me that the soil there would have to be completely worthless, since they probably don't have much of an agriculture program or anything. But I could be completly wrong, I don't know anything about Cuba. By the same token, with our superior technology, how come Americans aren't growing superior crops? This was just going through my head while I zoned out on my Tres Hermanos yesterday, so I typed it out.
    End of line.

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

I was in Cuba in March for the first time, and I've read up on it quite a bit.

The soil in the western regions is rich and black. But the big difference is the climate. The temperatures and humidity levels are perfect for tobacco growing. That's why so many experts say even Cuban seed doesn't do as well in any other area of the world, even other parts of the Carribbean.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWidow
    Does anyone really know that much about Cuba? I was thinking about it, and it seemed to me that the soil there would have to be completely worthless, since they probably don't have much of an agriculture program or anything. But I could be completly wrong, I don't know anything about Cuba. By the same token, with our superior technology, how come Americans aren't growing superior crops? This was just going through my head while I zoned out on my Tres Hermanos yesterday, so I typed it out.
    Dude, you're blogging.

ok, Cuba has a huge agricultural program. Larger than tobacco is sugar. Cane, that is. I'm not positive, but I think the US is like the only country not trading with Cuba, so Fidel can get plows and shit from virtually anywhere else in the world. Like Mexico, where Ford tractors are mass-produced. Actually, the US does trade with Cuba. In information. There are contingents from somewhere here, a university(s) probably, where ag program ideas are hatched and taken by hand to the island and implemented by US citizens. It's not really a Peace Corp thing, but similar. Not sure if it's farm or ranch or both. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised at all if it is your school in on some of these programs. A&M being one of the leading edges in projects like this.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

That makes sense to me. I still wonder why I don't see more from the US. I know North Carolina has an assload of tobacco, but is this mainly for cigarrettes? Is there something different about it or what?
    End of line.

I think much of the reason for fine cigars from the Antilles and Central America has got to be tradition, an ingredient that can't be duplicated. I don't know what is done with NC tobacco. But I figure that any startup cigar company has first to deal with venerable, established, manufacturers and distributors, and can probably expect to work their asses off for a thin profit line, if any, just to survive the first few years. And tradition is something that would take an American company some 25, 30, 50 years from right now to establish. The there's labor and other cost-of-production issues . . .

I'll bet Sid has some thoughts on this as well.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Quote Originally Posted by basil
    I think much of the reason for fine cigars from the Antilles and Central America has got to be tradition, an ingredient that can't be duplicated. I don't know what is done with NC tobacco. But I figure that any startup cigar company has first to deal with venerable, established, manufacturers and distributors, and can probably expect to work their asses off for a thin profit line, if any, just to survive the first few years. And tradition is something that would take an American company some 25, 30, 50 years from right now to establish. The there's labor and other cost-of-production issues . . .

I'll bet Sid has some thoughts on this as well.
    That plus Newfies comments on climate and soil I would imagine. The majority of good cigars seem to come from that climate. We grow tons of tobacco west of Toronto near Tilsonburg (My back still aches when I hear that word....) but it is all for cigarettes...

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

Another thing I realized was that tobacco grown for cigars is either for filler, binder, or wrapper, which is not the case for cigarretes. Maybe the stuff they can grow here doesn't make wrappers or something.
    End of line.

Another thing I realized was that tobacco grown for cigars is either for filler, binder, or wrapper, which is not the case for cigarretes. Maybe the stuff they can grow here doesn't make wrappers or something.
    From my understanding there is a lot of rappers that are US grown.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk
    From my understanding there is a lot of rappers that are US grown.
    Weak, dude
    End of line.

Weak, dude
    hehe, It was a slow day at the office

But seriously, a lot of the wrappers used for cigars are U.S. Conneticut broadleaf for example.

-W.

Cuba originated in the Pacific and migrated to where it is now over the course of time. IMO, The rich dark soil is probably due to volcanic activity and what gives the tobacco its flavors.

NC tobacco is for cigs and not suitable for cigars.

Thread Information