Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partagas D4, Cohiba Robustos, newbie steps into the flames...

Default Partagas D4, Cohiba Robustos, newbie steps into the flames...

Hi everybody,

Before I go on with this first post suicide mission exercise, I'll try to explain explain myself.

I'm from Canada, live in Switzerland, and have been smoking cigars for about 18 years. I've been working in bars and restaurants for most of my adult life, and have been lucky enough to be able to smoke a lot of great cigars over the years because of this, whether through being offered or swapping cigars with guests, or through buying boxes direct from the importers. It's only a few years ago that I started earning enough to start a modest collection, mainly of cigars that I think will age well, as I really enjoy the flavour of a good cigar that's been aged a few years. I have mostly Ltd. Edition Habanos in my collection, as I can smoke the 'ordinary' cigars I sell at work when I have time.

Anyway, I want to make room in my humidor (a cheapie Spanish made cabinet that holds about 10 small cigar boxes and about 25 loose cigars, but it works well enough) for a cabinet of Partagas Lusitanias, my all-time favorite. So I'd like to sell a box of Cohiba Robustos, and one of Partagas D Serie No. 4. I sell both of them in my bar, so I can always buy one when I crave one, so I don't mind selling them on to make room for the Lusitanias.

I'm going home to Montreal next week, and will stay a month to visit family and friends. the prices of cigars are crazy in Canadian stores due to our high taxes on tobacco, so I figure I can make a little money, and still sell them at a very good price. Last time I went home I sold a box of Montecristo 2s, but it took ages to find an interested party. This is why I am giving a heads up here in advance.

So this is mainly of interest to Montrealers, or anyone visiting the city in June. I'd be happy to meet them anywhere of their choice so they can inspect the cigars (both are boxes of 25, with seals, hologram, etc, and the D4s are unopened). If you're from out of town I can even give you some pointers on where to eat, go out, etc!

Why have I not posted before, and think I can barge in here and try to sell stuff without getting to know anyone? Well, I work long hours, already spend too much time on my computer, and frankly, being here in Switzerland don't have a lot in common vis à vis cigar choices, most of the posters here living in the States and Canada. I just felt it was worth a shot to reach anyone who might be in Montreal, interested in some excellent cigars, and wanted to save some money.

I'm asking:

$300US for the 25 X Partagas D Serie No.4 (JWI FEB05),

$600US for the 25 X Cohiba Robusto (SEU JUL04)

I think these prices are fair: a little higher than internet prices, and way below CDN retail.

Please be aware that I'll only sell these in person.

I'd be happy to take and post as many pictures as you'd like, and to answer any questions. I'd like to remain a member of this board, but can't promise to contribute very often, but maybe I can be of service to members that want info or impressions of various cuban cigars, those being my main interest and preference.

Sorry for the long post. I've a Bolivar Inmensas in my mouth right now, so when the flames start at least I'll go down enjoying myself with a lit cigar...

bigpoppapuff Guest

cohibas,huh??....imagine my surprise.....i'll go out on a limb and guess that they're fake...to which you'll respond with some drivel.....

this may be a complete scam, but gotta at least give credit that the person found out we'd tear a new one to anyone coming to do this sort of thing, and that he's not offering any kind of shipping, but straight up, I'll meet you and sell. Like Puff said, these are probably fake, but if this is a scammer, it's the most knowledgeable (of board etiquette) one yet.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Yeah, like BigMac said, nice preface. Prices are higher than I'd have to pay, if I wanted isom's. So, not interested. Good luck, and if you are a scammer or even if you are innocently moving fakes, and you get found out, brace yourself because you're in for a world of shit.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Yeah, I spend a lot of time on another board devoted to musical instruments (I play bass as a hobby)
    and I know how it can feel when people blunder in, so I looked at the FAQ here, and then saw the rules, etc, and lurked a bit before jumping in so rashly.

They're Cohibas because that's the brand everyone recognises; they were bought as a gift for me by nonsmokers but I don't smoke them very often, nor Robustos in general. I like lonsdales the best, and double coronas when I have the time.

I'm aware Cohibas are the most counterfeited cigar in the world, I have no real answer for you bigpoppapuff, sorry. These are real, though. Anyone who is interested will have to decide for themselves when they inspect them.

I'm bringing them all with me to Montreal in any case, it's up to anyone interested if they want more info about me to decide if I'm legit. If you are really interested, contact me via private message, and I can give you some references and tell you my ebay name, etc. I buy and sell a lot of basses and have had great dealings with a lot of folk in the States. I'm well known here in my town and am a very public figure with nothing to hide. I live by my reputation, as I've run bars and restaurants for years.

There are still good people out there, but I know the internet is not always the best place to find them.

Thanks for not crucifying me straight off!

Quote Originally Posted by basil
    Yeah, like BigMac said, nice preface. Prices are higher than I'd have to pay, if I wanted isom's. So, not interested. Good luck, and if you are a scammer or even if you are innocently moving fakes, and you get found out, brace yourself because you're in for a world of shit.
    Thanks, Basil. I've exactly no idea what isoms cost by you, I set the prices based on CDN prices (most likely I'll sell them to a fellow Canadian). I would probably go down a bit on price if someone wanted both boxes.

I wouldn't sell fakes for two reasons: I don't do that kind of thing, and I know the provenance of both these boxes. Also I'm not a very big guy, and am peaceful by nature, so I wouldn't want to get the shit kicked out of me by meeting someone face to face and having them even suspect that they weren't the real thing.

Again, I won't ship these, and I'll meet up anywhere in Montreal to make sure you can take as much time to inspect them as you'd like.

bigpoppapuff Guest

i'll have my good friend and attorney,who posts on many boards as mcgoospot,tell me what he thinks...he is,imho,the most knowledgable person i know regarding cuban cigars...tell me what you can tell me regarding codes,etc...i'll call him and get an answer.....ball is in your court...

bigpoppapuff Guest

and actually onedrop....i actually think you're the real deal.......you seem sincere...so after we get through this,try to stick around....

That's very kind of you, Bigpoppapuff, I will.

Regarding codes, they used to be actual codes for the date and factory they were made in, but a few years ago they bowed to pressure and started putting the actual dates on the boxes, still using codes to designate the factory of manufacture. I used to know the factory codes, but stopped paying much attention a few years ago when quality control went up and they started to concentrate production of different brands in certain factories, rather than spread production of them all over ('casa matriz' is what they call this system of making each factory responsible for the majority of a brand's production). When I started smoking and selling cigars, I'd say about one in four Havanas (as they were called then) were plugged or rolled poorly. Now, maybe one or two per box of 25, regardless of vitola or brand.

The date codes work like this:

The first three letters are the factory code (secret), and the next three letters are the month in Spanish, i.e. FEB is Februario, and the last two numbers are the year of manufacture.

Please excuse me if you know all this.

The codes for the factories are pretty much an open secret, but I'd have to do some research to get back up to date. I'm sure your friend knows the score.

I've visited a few factories in Havana, and was amazed by the pride and skill of the workers, and the floor stewards and guides. As soon as they find out you know a bit about cigars, you are singled out and get very special treatment. Same thing in the Casas del Habanos.
    Last edited by One Drop; 05-25-2006 at 01:53 PM.

lol - I think what BPP is asking for are the actual codes on the bottoms of your two boxes. Good answer though.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

bigpoppapuff Guest

lol - I think what BPP is asking for are the actual codes on the bottoms of your two boxes. Good answer though.

basil!!!!...you are correct.....you win what's behind the door.....

by the way...did one drop seem to be tap dancing??....he's a new bojangles....

Sorry! I put the codes in my original post, they're in brackets next to the names.

Otherwise, both boxes are very straightforward. the Cohibas are in the varnished cabinet, the Partagas
    in the Special Plain Box. I removed the cedar from between the layers on the D4s to help the aging process. They've been kept at 60% humidity all the time (I have my humidor set up so the single ones on top are at 70%, while the boxes below stay at about 60%. I do this by having a small tray of those little balls you put around plants soaked in water on the top shelf. Works perfectly as they absord excess water as well as release depending on the humidity). The Cohibas are just starting to get that cocoa smell that cigars get when they start aging.

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    basil!!!!...you are correct.....you win what's behind the door.....

by the way...did one drop seem to be tap dancing??....he's a new bojangles....
    That's MR Bojangles to you, Bigpoppapuff.

bigpoppapuff Guest

Quote Originally Posted by One Drop
    That's MR Bojangles to you, Bigpoppapuff.

Looking more closely, there is a separate stamp on the bottom of the Cohibas that reads 0205, in black ink. No idea what that means. Both have the stickers with bar codes from the Swiss importer, along with the retail price, which is required in Switzerland. Both have the Hecho en Cuba Totalmente a Mano woodburnt on the bottom. Both have the green gov't seal, with a number in red. The Cohiba's number is FH 091401, the Partagas is GB185110.

Excuse what I said before, neither has a hologram. I also got confused about the cedar in the box of Partagas; I had taken it out in my box of LTD D4s (not for sale!), this one is sealed.

Whew! Don't know what else to add...

bigpoppapuff Guest

i just got off the phone with mcgoo........he says they seem to be the real deal.....no mistakes.........

Cool, thanks. I'm booking my flight beginning next week, so I'll post the dates when I'll be in Montreal when I've confirmed. I'll definitely be there over the Grand Prix weekend if anyone is coming up to be a part of the madness.

Default I'm here in Montreal with the cigars, and photos

Sorry to anyone interested in the delay, things were a bit hectic the last week or so.

I arrived a few days ago, and will be here in Montreal until July 1, when I fly back to Switzerland.

I'm posting a few photos of the Cohiba Robustos and the Partagas D4s, and I have many more if anyone would like to see them. Just ask and I'll send you the link to the Photobucket album.

I went to the Casa del Habano here yesterday to see what they are selling for here, and to drool over the Ltd Editions and special filled humidors they always have in stock. Due to our high taxes on tobacco products and hefty mark-up the prices are astronomical. Fortunately I brought a few for myself to smoke while here, in spite of the recent ban on smoking in bars and restaurants.

Here goes, and thanks for looking:

Nice. Those PDS4's were boxed over a year ago. What kind of luck have you had with these cigars at around this age? Reason I ask is that while these are great cigars, many complain about a sick period of maybe a couple of years or more with these. My experience is that after at least 6 months, some are ok and some have quite a wang, even from the same box.
    - Tom Robbins

I think that was a problem a year or so ago, as the demand for them went over the top and they probably were forced to use extremely young tobacco to meet the demand. I smoked a few singles this winter that were younger than this box and they were fine, back to their best. My experience with a lot of the stronger Habanos in general is they are pretty good fresh, then after a few months need a year to mellow out a bit. All this by way of saying I don't really know. Personally I would start smoking them now myself, they smell really nice, no ammonia traces, etc. I keep all my boxes at closer to 60% humidity, they seem to age nicely that way, and then I move a few to the top shelf of my humidor for a few days to bring them up to 70% before I smoke them.

They're in ziplock bags at the moment, they shouldn't budge for a while.

Thread Information