Thread: Drying out beads???

Default Drying out beads???

How should I go about drying out some of my 65% Heartfelt beads? It has been really humid here and about 90% are clear or turning clear.

I use a hair dryer on low heat. Use a container that is large enough to mix the beads around in - so you can dry the ones on bottom also. It usually takes about 5-10 min for me to dry out a pound.

3. Default

I read some where....I think CC said it...A small cigar box with holes drilled in the top makes a perfect container. Seems like it would be easy to maintain in your situation. Easy to get moisture in and easy to dry it out some.
    Last edited by cigarsarge; 06-03-2006 at 09:00 AM.

4. Default

Spread them on a cookie sheet, like Toilje said, hair dryer on low until they are milky white again instead of clear.

What size humidor do you have and how many beads are you using?

~Mark

Used a hair dryer and worked great. I am using 1 ounce of beads in a small coolidor. It is large enough to hold all of my sticks (40 or so) and probably able to squeeze 10 more in if I needed to. I am getting ready to upgrade to a larger full size cooler and will add a pound of beads to it.

6. Default

Opposite question, but I'll post here since it's current.
    Just got my Heartfelt beads. Got tubes with red ends and humidi-pucks.
    How should I moisten them?? They say if you soak them in water, they could fracture, but still work. How did you all do it?

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys
    Opposite question, but I'll post here since it's current.
    Just got my Heartfelt beads. Got tubes with red ends and humidi-pucks.
    How should I moisten them?? They say if you soak them in water, they could fracture, but still work. How did you all do it?
    Several ways to do it and the amount of water depends on the amount of beads and how wet they are. I just take a teaspoon or so of distilled water, pop the end cap on the tube, and drop the water in. Some beads crack but they still work and now have more surface area. You could also take a spray bottle of distilled water and squirt some on the beads. Lastly, you can set the beads next to a big bowl of distilled water and let the beads naturally soak in the humid air but this takes a long time and really seems pointless.

edit: As far as the ratio of clear (wet) beads to milky white (dry) beads that you should have... approx 50/50 is good but if you live in a humid climate, have more white beads and if you are in the desert, have more soaked. Just remember to always have some of both to help regulate any humidity spikes or drops.
    Last edited by Stryprod; 06-17-2006 at 06:32 PM.
    "Enter cool cigar related quote here"

http://www.daveandcourtscorner.com/

Now that it is summer I have increased my dry to wet bead ratio to about 70/30.
    "If your wife doesn't like the aroma of your cigar - change your wife."
    Zino Davidoff

Now that I know what they are:
    +1 Termite
    +1 Raisin

9. Default

Upon opening the beads, some are clear and some are white. So it looks like they're shipped "charged" to some degree. Are they ready to go?

Same with the Humidi-pucks. Should I still moisten the sponge with some distilled water?

Upon opening the beads, some are clear and some are white. So it looks like they're shipped "charged" to some degree. Are they ready to go?

Same with the Humidi-pucks. Should I still moisten the sponge with some distilled water?
    Not all of the beads should be clear, otherwise, they wouldn't be able to take in water from the environment. Probably 75% clear is what worked for me in the tube, but the humidor was already leveled out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryprod
    Several ways to do it and the amount of water depends on the amount of beads and how wet they are. I just take a teaspoon or so of distilled water, pop the end cap on the tube, and drop the water in. Some beads crack but they still work and now have more surface area. You could also take a spray bottle of distilled water and squirt some on the beads. Lastly, you can set the beads next to a big bowl of distilled water and let the beads naturally soak in the humid air but this takes a long time and really seems pointless.

edit: As far as the ratio of clear (wet) beads to milky white (dry) beads that you should have... approx 50/50 is good but if you live in a humid climate, have more white beads and if you are in the desert, have more soaked. Just remember to always have some of both to help regulate any humidity spikes or drops.
    Very good answer!

If your goal is to add moisture to the humidor then wetting down the sponge is a good idea.

This might be a stupid question, but.....

Assuming the humi is seasoned properly and it is well made ( no opening through which the air will circulate ) how can the humidity in it change if the beads supposed to keep it at 65% or whatever specification you have ?

Quote Originally Posted by CgarDan
    This might be a stupid question, but.....

Assuming the humi is seasoned properly and it is well made ( no opening through which the air will circulate ) how can the humidity in it change if the beads supposed to keep it at 65% or whatever specification you have ?
    it's a good question. you're gonna open and close the humi which changes the humidity - and - good humidors have a tight seal, but not a sure seal - so a very small amount of breathing does take place - which also affects the humidity level. plus, the wood itself is going to breathe. my .02
    Last edited by mauied1101; 07-31-2006 at 10:31 AM.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

15. Default

I pray that one day all the newbies and humidity freaks will learn that the less you fuck with the cooler/humiodor the better off it will be. I went through the same shit until I made some primos moldy years ago and after that I figured out that 62- 65 % rh is perfect. I dont even need to look at the digital hygrometer(its in the bottom of the cooler somewhere) to tell what shape my cigars are in and as usual they are perfect for smoking. I wish all you dudes well but don't be too anal about rh,it takes all the fun out of this hobby/way of life
    The older I get ,the better I was

If you have beads you shouldn't have to fuck with it anyways.
    End of line.

Dan, although the humidor might be quality and have a good seal, it is not airtight.

Thread Information