Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with bigger humi

Default Help with bigger humi

I ordered a bigger humidor last month and expect it to be delivered here pretty soon. I also got the oasis plus xl. When I set this up should I put a couple of bead tubes in it or do you think the oasis will hold things pretty steady? I'm thinking of 2 4oz tubes away from the oasis unit and the oasis set at 65%. I know it can't hurt, but is it overkill? Also, I've read where the oasis does a pretty good job of seasoning the humi pretty quickly but don't know if I believe it. Anybody heard anything different? The unit is the one from cheaphumidors.com that I've seen here before, so I know at least one is out there.

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchan...ode=LGHUMIDORS

Thanks!

Mark

Shelby,

Why dump the 90- 100 bucks on the Oasis plus buy beads? Go the the heartfelt site. They have a calculation for beads needed per cubic foot of the humi along with a calc for measuring cubic feet. Get all beads. Distribute them evenly throughout the humi and pick up a glade fan to circulate the air. Discard the scented packages-- of course. I stole this idea from BKC on another site- (Thanks Tommy- When you pass through Utah you are certainly welcome to drop by anytime) They have both electric and battery operated fans. I have two of them (1 D sized battery each) in a 17 Cubic foot cab. This does the job perfectly. I would guess you would only need one fan along with 1.5 to 2 lbs of beads. This (IMHO) would not only be more economical; but also more effective!

Beautiful humidor, by the way!!!
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Quote Originally Posted by slcraiders
    Shelby,

Why dump the 90- 100 bucks on the Oasis plus buy beads? Go the the heartfelt site. They have a calculation for beads needed per cubic foot of the humi along with a calc for measuring cubic feet. Get all beads. Distribute them evenly throughout the humi and pick up a glade fan to circulate the air. Discard the scented packages-- of course. I stole this idea from BKC on another site- (Thanks Tommy- When you pass through Utah you are certainly welcome to drop by anytime) They have both electric and battery operated fans. I have two of them (1 D sized battery each) in a 17 Cubic foot cab. This does the job perfectly. I would guess you would only need one fan along with 1.5 to 2 lbs of beads. This (IMHO) would not only be more economical; but also more effective!

Beautiful humidor, by the way!!!
    I ordered the unit last month and they offered the xl plus with it for 79 bucks. Two pounds of beads would be about 60 bucks so it's not that more expensive. For the cost of a few good sticks I couldn't pass it up. I am putting it in the basement and want it to be as maintenance free as possible. I figured the Oasis should let me leave it alone for months at a time but then I started thinking about combining the two. (did I mention I'm basically lazy.)

Ask BKCloud, he got the same one a couple of months ago.

Also I'd go with the oasis also and toss the beads on the top shelf. However I wouldn't add water to the beads. I would use them as a back stop in case you have a couple of really hot day's which would spike the RH.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan
    Ask BKCloud, he got the same one a couple of months ago.

Also I'd go with the oasis also and toss the beads on the top shelf. However I wouldn't add water to the beads. I would use them as a back stop in case you have a couple of really hot day's which would spike the RH.
    Don't think that's gonna be a problem. The basement stays pretty much constant at 64-68 degrees and the humidity here in denver rerely gets over 60% or so inside even when it's raining. More often than not it's down around 15-25%. Wouldn't throwing dry beads in just eventually suck the water out of the oasis?

I did not know they threw in the XL. For your cabinet, it should work great. Sorry, just my 2 cents on what worked for me. Either way, you will most likely be happy.

Once again, nice humi. I would like to get one of those some day when I am rich and famous as an end table for my "go- to" smokes.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Quote Originally Posted by slcraiders

Once again, nice humi. I would like to get one of those some day when I am rich and famous as an end table for my "go- to" smokes.
    Thanks. I'm looking forward to filling it up. I didn't realize how much one covets all the good stuff out there. Wonder how long it'll be before I need another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07
    I ordered a bigger humidor last month and expect it to be delivered here pretty soon. I also got the oasis plus xl. When I set this up should I put a couple of bead tubes in it or do you think the oasis will hold things pretty steady? I'm thinking of 2 4oz tubes away from the oasis unit and the oasis set at 65%. I know it can't hurt, but is it overkill? Also, I've read where the oasis does a pretty good job of seasoning the humi pretty quickly but don't know if I believe it. Anybody heard anything different? The unit is the one from cheaphumidors.com that I've seen here before, so I know at least one is out there.

http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchan...ode=LGHUMIDORS

Thanks!

Mark
    I'm gonna have to come over and have a look!

I have some experience with RH. Perhaps I can help.
    Bruce

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
    Hanlon's Razor

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NullSmurf
    I'm gonna have to come over and have a look!

I have some experience with RH. Perhaps I can help.
    I have some experience with relative humidity too. In the summer when the RH is high, I get sweaty.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86
    I have some experience with relative humidity too. In the summer when the RH is high, I get sweaty.
    We sweat here too. It simply evaporates before you feel it.
    Bruce

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
    Hanlon's Razor

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07
    Don't think that's gonna be a problem. The basement stays pretty much constant at 64-68 degrees and the humidity here in denver rerely gets over 60% or so inside even when it's raining. More often than not it's down around 15-25%. Wouldn't throwing dry beads in just eventually suck the water out of the oasis?
    Shelby.... congrats on the new Humi.... did ya get it yet ?

The beads they are referring to are not "drying beads"... they are fom Viper at http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/Home.htm

If you contact Viper and give him the dimensions of the inside he will tell you exactly how many you need. The beads slowly release moisture to bring the RH up to the level you want. The longer you leave the door open, the longer it will take to bring up the RH. The Oasis on the other hand would probably bring the RH back up more quickly.

I absolutely love my new humidor.... be sure to check the hinges and make sure it closes properly. I heard of another BOTL who bought one and the hinges were not properly aligned.

Did ya get the glass door or wood door ??
    I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bkcloud114
    Shelby.... congrats on the new Humi.... did ya get it yet ?

The beads they are referring to are not "drying beads"... they are fom Viper at http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/Home.htm

If you contact Viper and give him the dimensions of the inside he will tell you exactly how many you need. The beads slowly release moisture to bring the RH up to the level you want. The longer you leave the door open, the longer it will take to bring up the RH. The Oasis on the other hand would probably bring the RH back up more quickly.

I absolutely love my new humidor.... be sure to check the hinges and make sure it closes properly. I heard of another BOTL who bought one and the hinges were not properly aligned.

Did ya get the glass door or wood door ??
    I haven't received it yet. It's supposed to be here the end of the month. I decided to go with the wood door just to keep the inside dark. I have ordered the 65% heartfelt beads (2 lbs) they should be here tomorow. I figure if I set the Oasis at 65% and place beads in several areas it will not only hold the humidity even, but should allow for more time before having to add distilled water. I'm looking forward to getting it. I've got my 2 desktops stuffed now with more on the way, which is why I put the rush on the beads. I'm trying to get a coolador ready temporarily.

Once it gets here I'm either gonna have a lot of fun or break the bank trying to fill it!

Hey, I ordered the exact same humidor about 2 weeks ago. Can't wait for it to get here.
    I didn't get the oasis, just some more beads.
    I'm already breaking the bank in anticipation of delivery.

3 members buying this humidor-I'm going nuts. I gotta get me one of these!

In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

I to bought a cabinet from Cheaphumidors.com. What I found was that the cigar oasis did a good job of seasoning the cabinet, but they claim that the reservoir will last months, it lasted only days early on. Also, once I started to fill the cabinet up, the fan in the oasis, just didn't circulate the air well enough. The humidity levels at the top were 10% off from the bottom. (I had the oasis at the bottom.) The oasis would read the RH and shut off, before the air had circulated to the top shelf.

I bought some wet floral foam and those tupperware dishes made for sticks of butter, drilled holes in the lids and placed one on each shelf. Then I went to radio shack and bought a CPU cooling fan (3") and placed it on the top shelf facing toward the front. Now, I have the exact RH throughout the cabinet, the oasis does last a month or so now, and I only have to check the foam about every other week.

My problem is that when I open the door, all the dry air rushes in and the humidity drops RAPIDLY and the oasis kicks on for about 20 minutes to "right the ship". Some time sit will take an hour to get back to 68%.

I hope something here helps.

Thanks Coach. I kind of figured as much. I've got 2 lbs of beads waiting to go in and will probably stick another fan in there. Did you get the same model or was it something different. Mine's supposed to show up Thursday. Also, how full is your cabinet?

I just purchesed my first home in Rochester, Ny

Hey, nice humi. Wish I had enough cigars to fill a bad boy like that.

Sapper0001
    US, Army(retired)

Quote Originally Posted by Sapper0001
    Hey, nice humi. Wish I had enough cigars to fill a bad boy like that.

Sapper0001
    US, Army(retired)
    Me too

Hey Shelby07,

Did your humidor show up yet? Mine did today. Unfortunately it was damaged. Looks like UPS decided to drop it off the truck, and it smashed in one corner of the top.
    Did you get the impression that this humidor was solid wood construction? I thought from the description that it was, but it looks like MDF under a thin veneer. I'm going to call in the morning and get to the bottom of this.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinDVM
    Hey Shelby07,

Did your humidor show up yet? Mine did today. Unfortunately it was damaged. Looks like UPS decided to drop it off the truck, and it smashed in one corner of the top.
    Did you get the impression that this humidor was solid wood construction? I thought from the description that it was, but it looks like MDF under a thin veneer. I'm going to call in the morning and get to the bottom of this.
    My humidor is shipped and scheduled to arrive tomorrow. Looking at the picture, I figured it might have had a veneer finish. It did say it was spanish cedar lined. I guess for what I paid for it I wasn't really expecting solid wood either. Can't even buy an end table for that. I'll look it over closely.

Thread Information