Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Politics

Default Politics

My suggestion is to remove the 'Politics' section of this site. I am sure that this will cause many waves throughout the forum. I am not revealing any of my political views as I do not believe that a CIGAR forum is the place to do so, unless those politics are directly related to smoking CIGARS - ie anti-smoking legislation, tobacco taxes, etc..

I have also seen the suggestion that the other non-cigar related areas be removed also. I tend to agree. I did not join this board to discuss my love nor hatred for anything but cigars.

I do realize that I am very new here and have taken the advice of many to "Read more and post less".

I check in here daily hoping to see some new and useful information on CIGARS. But each time I am sadly disappointed, because some members have turned this into a war of politics rather than BOTL sharing their common thread of the enjoyment of CIGARS.

I do not mean for this to stir any shit. That is definately not my intent. I made mistakes in my first couple of post and was graceously straightened out by Basil. Since then, I have tried to be a decent member of the board.

After my initial faux paux, I did the right thing and introduced myself and commenced to learning from those much smarter than I. I am using this post to tell all the true BOTL here goodbye, as I will not be frequenting this board much longer.

I will watch for a little while to see if CIGARS become the primary topic here again. If not, I will find a home at another board very soon. One for CIGARS like CP.

bigpoppapuff Guest

if you take the politics forum away...you must also take the sports forum and other non-cigar forums.....if that's the case...i'm gone....thanks for your contribution...all 23 or so posts.....is that a threat that you'll be gone...if so...see-ya...

if you don't want any part of the sports or politics forum...DON"T FUCKING LOOK AT IT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff
    if you take the politics forum away...you must also take the sports forum and other non-cigar forums.....if that's the case...i'm gone....thanks for your contribution...all 23 or so posts.....is that a threat that you'll be gone...if so...see-ya...

if you don't want any part of the sports or politics forum...DON"T FUCKING LOOK AT IT!!!!!

I agree. This is an online community with people who are not shallow enough to have nothing else in their life besides cigars. We all enjoy cigars but also have other interests and from the number of posts sports and politics are a big interest among people here.

Let the free speach rule !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff

The best way that could have been put. I also stand by my earlier statement that this place is no different from us actually sitting around together having a conversation. If you want to find cigar related information, then look in that section, because there is a shitload of it here.
    End of line.

Every board has a different feel and offers different folks different things. Everyone has their views on politics, sports (go Sox), etc. For CS - sure our reason for belonging starts with cigars, but the sports, politics, etc. are a part of the board's identity. And like everything else on the net, you can read it, or you can not. And if you're grossly out of line, well, this is a self-policing board and folks'll call you on it.

Sorry we are "sadly disappointing" you. And not to say take away from your 20 odd post count - but to suggest something that would change the dynamics on a board where your contribution amounts to nada either makes you sound arrogant or naive.

C-ya.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

6. Default

If you don't want to partake in the politics sections of this site, don't. No one's going to care if you don't participate.

As long as politics stays in politics (maybe with some light ribbing elsewhere) and stays professional, I don't think discussing politics in the politics forum is bad.

Has the political discussion damaged any relationships or hurt anyone's feelings?

bigpoppapuff Guest

humor forum needs to go,as well.......the more i think about this the more i see tojije or whatever the fuck his name is has potential........thanks for your suggestion....now leave...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChuck
    Has the political discussion damaged any relationships or hurt anyone's feelings?
    Well now that you mention it, my feelings have been hurt. I'd like to start a new forum on "feelings" and how we can all be better friends and sing kumbaya and roast marshmallows by a fire. Wow, I'm glad I got that off my chest...

Quote Originally Posted by mauied1101
    Well now that you mention it, my feelings have been hurt. I'd like to start a new forum on "feelings" and how we can all be better friends and sing kumbaya and roast marshmallows by a fire. Wow, I'm glad I got that off my chest...
    Now that's one hell of a HERF

OK - after looking a little, now I think you're . You posted this at 4:30PM, saying:

Quote Originally Posted by Tolije
    I am using this post to tell all the true BOTL here goodbye, as I will not be frequenting this board much longer.

I will watch for a little while to see if CIGARS become the primary topic here again. If not, I will find a home at another board very soon. One for CIGARS like CP.
    You already edited your introduction on 4:10PM with the following:
    I quit
    So what you amounted to doing is quitting and killing off your intro/info before stirring the pot and posting this. Cleaned up and right before leaving you write us a nice note good bye? BPP was wrong - you're not a potential - you're a card-carrying member.

I'd say don't let the door hit you on the way out but you've obviously left.

11. Default

Maybe Dr. Phil has a forum you can join.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChuck
    Maybe Dr. Phil has a forum you can join.
    Don't get me started on Dr. Phil. If Milli Vanilli was a fraud this guy is right up there.
    End of line.

i just want a hug... c'mon guys... group hug...

That asshole doesn't even have a psychology license. As a result he has to call himself a "life-coach." And what the hell does a psychologist know about weight-loss anyway?

My dad is licensed in four different states, and has pharmacology credentials. Nobody gives a shit about him, though.

end of Dr. Dumass rant.
    Last edited by WhiteWidow; 07-11-2006 at 04:55 PM.
    End of line.

Forgive my assumption here, but...

I don't know what your political persuasion is, but I am assuming you're a "repug" like me. If you weren't you'd probably be agreeing with a lot of what is being said. If you are the kind who is uncomfortable with confrontation then don't read the politics forum. Most of the people on the board are from the east and west coasts, very Democratic and sometimes irrationally passionate, in my view. But I can't hold that against them and don't want to stifle those with opposit views. It's what keeps us all on an even keel. (Hell, even SDVM and BPP say something smart occasionally. ) They are a great bunch of guys and because I disagree with some of their political views that doesn't make them any less as people. They don't have to agree with me, but everyone needs to stand for something! If these were the kind of guys who check the "undecided" box on a poll, I'd leave. Those are the people who add nothing to this world. Decide on something and be pasionate about it, dammit! The only thing that sets us apart from other species is passion. If you want to debate, then let your opinions be heard. If you want to ignore people's passions then lurk or just post in the cigar forum. This is, after all, a community.

AND... I strongly disagree that you can't learn anything on this forum.

With that said, I would hope you would join in.

Note to administrator: Can we get rid of the "censored" smiley and get a "soapbox" one??? Nobody ever uses the "censored" one on this board. It seems like such a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07
    Note to administrator: Can we get rid of the "censored" smiley and get a "soapbox" one??? Nobody ever uses the "censored" one on this board. It seems like such a waste.
    Shelby - what the are you talking about? I use the censored face and I'll continue to use the face as I see fit!

Shelby - what the are you talking about? I use the censored face and I'll continue to use the face as I see fit!

Oh, shut the up!

18. Default

My suggestion is to remove the 'Politics' section of this site. I am sure that this will cause many waves throughout the forum. I am not revealing any of my political views as I do not believe that a CIGAR forum is the place to do so, unless those politics are directly related to smoking CIGARS - ie anti-smoking legislation, tobacco taxes, etc..

I have also seen the suggestion that the other non-cigar related areas be removed also. I tend to agree. I did not join this board to discuss my love nor hatred for anything but cigars.

I do realize that I am very new here and have taken the advice of many to "Read more and post less".

I check in here daily hoping to see some new and useful information on CIGARS. But each time I am sadly disappointed, because some members have turned this into a war of politics rather than BOTL sharing their common thread of the enjoyment of CIGARS.

I do not mean for this to stir any shit. That is definately not my intent. I made mistakes in my first couple of post and was graceously straightened out by Basil. Since then, I have tried to be a decent member of the board.

After my initial faux paux, I did the right thing and introduced myself and commenced to learning from those much smarter than I. I am using this post to tell all the true BOTL here goodbye, as I will not be frequenting this board much longer.

ROTFLMAO...See you at CP.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07
    Forgive my assumption here, but...

I don't know what your political persuasion is, but I am assuming you're a "repug" like me. If you weren't you'd probably be agreeing with a lot of what is being said. If you are the kind who is uncomfortable with confrontation then don't read the politics forum. Most of the people on the board are from the east and west coasts, very Democratic and sometimes irrationally passionate, in my view. But I can't hold that against them and don't want to stifle those with opposit views. It's what keeps us all on an even keel. (Hell, even SDVM and BPP say something smart occasionally. ) They are a great bunch of guys and because I disagree with some of their political views that doesn't make them any less as people. They don't have to agree with me, but everyone needs to stand for something! If these were the kind of guys who check the "undecided" box on a poll, I'd leave. Those are the people who add nothing to this world. Decide on something and be pasionate about it, dammit! The only thing that sets us apart from other species is passion. If you want to debate, then let your opinions be heard. If you want to ignore people's passions then lurk or just post in the cigar forum. This is, after all, a community.

AND... I strongly disagree that you can't learn anything on this forum.

With that said, I would hope you would join in.

First I would like to say that I did not mean to imply that I could not learn from this board. I have learned a great deal from many people here.

I do not consider myself a Democrat nor Republican. I found many valid points in the exchange the that SmokingDVM started. I view myself as politically open minded. I obviously did not word my post very well, because the reaction that I got was truly not what I intended.

I realize that I have very few posts here - thus making me a newbie to the board and in many members' opinions, insignificant. I am not, however, a newbie in life and have been involved in many political discussions in my life. Being new here, I simply did not fully understand the bigger picture of the community and had obviously not caught on while observing the past couple of months. I was using the forums to escape the politics of my daily life. And today was frustrated and thought that I could voice it here without being completely decapitated.

If offering my suggestion was wrong and makes me an ASSHAT - then I wear the title - not proudly, but all the same.

OK - after looking a little, now I think you're . You posted this at 4:30PM, saying:

You already edited your introduction on 4:10PM with the following:

So what you amounted to doing is quitting and killing off your intro/info before stirring the pot and posting this. Cleaned up and right before leaving you write us a nice note good bye? BPP was wrong - you're not a potential - you're a card-carrying member.

I'd say don't let the door hit you on the way out but you've obviously left.
    Mauied1101,

A definate mistake on my part and would add it back if it would make any difference.

To all,

I truly did not mean to stir up any trouble and realize now that I should have either left quietly or joined the debate. I see now that this board is a tight community that extends beyond the love of cigars. OK , so I am the ASSHAT of the day..week...month.. I accept that.

bigpoppapuff Guest

hip movie reference forthcoming.......

ahem..........

......"tojije!!!...come back!!!"........

Thread Information