Thread: Official Policy on Cuban Cigars

Blog Entries

Exclamation Official Policy on Cuban Cigars

As much as it pains me to do so, I would like to officially declare that the sale or trade of Cuban Cigars (ISOM’s) are not be discussed on this board. Please do so in private. I am not enacting this policy because of any particular post/thread. I simply want to keep this board a clean, fun place for everyone’s enjoyment. The bottom line is that Cigarsmokers.com is owned and operated in the United States and Cuban cigars are illegal here. Black market wares bring nothing but trouble.

If you would like to discuss an experience or post a review about a Cuban cigar, that is fine so long as it does not involve buying, selling, or trading with in the United States.

Sorry guys, but I'm not going to jeopardize this community or myself for the enjoyment of anyone.

As soon as it becomes apparent that the trade embargo has been lifted, or someone can prove to me that allowing these type of posts will not fall back on the forum, then this ban will be removed.
    Last edited by hex1848; 04-19-2005 at 06:16 AM.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

Well I did some searching and found an official source on the current US policy concerning Cuban cigars. I stand by the policy in place above.

http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/trave...ban_cigars.xml

Prohibitions on Cuban Cigars

The revival of interest in cigars and cigar smoking underscores the need to remind the public of the prohibitions that have been in place for many years with respect to cigars of Cuban origin. The number of attempted importations of Cuban cigars into the United States is rising and because dealing in such cigars may lead to Treasury enforcement actions, the public should be aware of — and make every effort to observe — the prohibitions which are in effect.

There is a total ban on the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products. This prohibition extends to such products acquired in Cuba, irrespective of whether a traveler is licensed by Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC) to engage in Cuba travel-related transactions, and to such products acquired in third countries by any U.S. Traveler, including purchases at duty-free shops. Contrary to what many people may believe, it is illegal for travelers to bring into the United States Cuban cigars acquired in third countries, such as Canada, England, or Mexico.

Importation of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products is prohibited whether the goods are purchased by the importer or given to the importer as a gift. Similarly, the import ban extends to Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products offered for sale over the Internet or through a catalog.

It is also illegal for U.S. persons to buy, sell, trade, or otherwise engage in transactions involving illegally-imported Cuban cigars. The penalties for doing so include, in addition to confiscation of the cigars, civil fines of up to $55,000 per violation and in appropriate cases, criminal prosecution which may result in higher fines and/or imprisonment.

These prohibitions are applicable to all goods of Cuban origin and are an important element of the comprehensive program of economic sanctions against the Cuban Government which have been in place since 1963. Those sanctions have had the support of the last seven Administrations.

The U.S. Treasury Department, Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), administers the embargo of Cuba. Suspected embargo violations may be reported telephonically to OFAC Enforcement Division at 202.622.2430 or via facsimile at 202.622.1657.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

That US Customs link has been around and around. The key is:
    It is also illegal for U.S. persons to buy, sell, trade, or otherwise engage in transactions involving illegally-imported Cuban cigars.
    What is impossible for anyone to prove is that any Cuban cigars in anyone's possession were obtained by being imported illegally. Also, who's to say they're REAL anyway? Anyone can buy fake bands and put them on cigars made anywhere in the world, it happens all the time (just ask Oblik )
    One more thing about that link, it's not quoted verbatium from the "Trading with the Enemy Act" it's a bureaucratic "scare" intepretation of the Act by Customs which is only their view.

SFG75 Guest

Red face

Very wise policy there hex. While some folks don't care much about politics and what not, it's fair to say that most cigar smokers find what occurs in Cuba to be interesting in what it portends for the hobby.

I've found this Canadian website that keeps up to date information on the exile community, as well as human rights issues that Cuba faces under Castro. Not a whole lot on cigars, but an interesting read nevertheless. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out in the future for Cuba.

http://www.cubasource.org/publicatio...200503ex_e.asp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SFG75
    Very wise policy there hex. While some folks don't care much about politics and what not, it's fair to say that most cigar smokers find what occurs in Cuba to be interesting in what it portends for the hobby.

I've found this Canadian website that keeps up to date information on the exile community, as well as human rights issues that Cuba faces under Castro. Not a whole lot on cigars, but an interesting read nevertheless. It'll be interesting to see how things shake out in the future for Cuba.

http://www.cubasource.org/publicatio...200503ex_e.asp
    Will you knock off your political crap? Your political BS is not allowed on CigarPass and should not be allowed here. Of course you've been banned from CigarPass so never mind

We don't give a crap about your bleeding heart human rights issues, this is a cigar board. Go bore your political BB buddies with this BS.

jrewing, please feel free to chime in at any point here and remind ole Scotty Boy that this is a CIGAR BOARD and not a place for politics but odds are you won't agree with me on this one.

Please Scotty, JUST GO AWAY
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 04-27-2005 at 06:31 PM.

Interesting site SFG75. Thanks for the positive addition to the forum. Keep'em coming.

When I find any more information on the Cuban Cigar issues I will be sure to pass them along.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing
    Interesting site SFG75. Thanks for the positive addition to the forum. Keep'em coming.

When I find any more information on the Cuban Cigar issues I will be sure to pass them along.
    "Positive addition to the fourm" nice joke there jrewing. If you think discussing politics on a cigar forum is a "positive addition" then you are sadly mistaken because all that will do is lead to trouble.

SFG75 Guest

Here's another goodie-some propaganda from the Cuban gov, but interesting historical sites and art.
    http://www.cubagov.cu/ingles/default.htm

Also found an explanation behind the meaning of the Cuban flag.

In 1850 what was to become the definitive national symbol was hoisted for the first time. Encapturing simplicity and perfect harmony, it combines three colours, red, white and blue, to form the Cuban flag: three blue stripes - the states in which the island was divided at that time - two white stripes - the force of the idealistic independence fighter - , a red triangle - representing equality, fraternity and liberty, and at the same time, the blood which had to be spillt during the battles for independence - and a white star, alone - as a symbol of the absolute liberty between other nations - these are what characterise its beautiful design.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SFG75
    Here's another goodie-some propaganda from the Cuban gov, but interesting historical sites and art.
    http://www.cubagov.cu/ingles/default.htm

Also found an explanation behind the meaning of the Cuban flag.
    Scotty, this is "Off topic" so please go back to the Island of the Misfit Toys and post your crap there.

10. Default

but they taste so good ...

11. Default

Would it be illegal if I bought a cuban in canada, lets say, and bring it to the united states for my enjoyment, would that be illegal?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rbraczyk
    Would it be illegal if I bought a cuban in canada, lets say, and bring it to the united states for my enjoyment, would that be illegal?
    Answer:

There is a total ban on the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products. This prohibition extends to such products acquired in Cuba, irrespective of whether a traveler is licensed by Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC) to engage in Cuba travel-related transactions, and to such products acquired in third countries by any U.S. Traveler, including purchases at duty-free shops. Contrary to what many people may believe, it is illegal for travelers to bring into the United States Cuban cigars acquired in third countries, such as Canada, England, or Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848
    Answer:

Can anyone answer this one for me? I know that celebrities can get Cubans and smoke them at their leisure without fear of reprisal. But how can Michael Jordan, in the latest CA magazine, admit to smoking them without the law coming down on him??
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka
    Can anyone answer this one for me? I know that celebrities can get Cubans and smoke them at their leisure without fear of reprisal. But how can Michael Jordan, in the latest CA magazine, admit to smoking them without the law coming down on him??
    I personally think it's because the government is not going to get in the business of arresting people off the street for smoking Cuban cigars. There is an embargo, they do confiscate and destroy cigars they find - but they are not willing to raid houses to seize the stashes of John Q. Public over possessing Cuban cigars. It would be a huge public relations nightmare.

There was a fairly publicized arrest in the Chicago area of a lawyer that was "open and notorious" in his importation, possession and most importantly SALE of Cuban cigars. If you rub the governments nose in it, you're gonna get whacked. He got three years in Federal Prison, and $60,000 in fines. That is the ONLY arrest I've ever heard of for possession or sale of Cuban cigars.

Default Official Policy on Cuban Cigars

The link you posted hex is rather interesting. It makes me question why Navy Customs informed us that there is a legal way to bring back items such as Cubans. I may have to procure that documentation and personally read it. Obviously even if there is an exemption for a service member returning from a location where they purchased a few legally, it is still illegal to sell or trade them in the United States.
    Last edited by FordRaptorFiend; 08-23-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Blog Entries

Hex hasn't checked in here in over three months so don't hold your breath waiting for him to respond.

Regarding your statement here:

from a location where they purchased a few legally
    If I remember correctly, the way the Trading With the Enemy Act is worded, it's impossible for any US Citizen to "purchase a few legally" because this act prohibits any US Citizen from purchasing any Cuban product anywhere, not just within the United States.

If you can find some sort of document that allows US servicemen some kind of exemption to the Trading With the Enemy Act, I'd love to see it because I personally don't see how any such document can possibly exist.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thank you for the heads up Coventry. Trust me, I was definitely skeptical when they informed us of this possibility. I am curious to see the documentation myself. I'll see if they actually produce something as my experience in the past shows that because they have a "way" they explain it as a "legal" way but in reality it is just a back door process that could get you hemmed up going through US Customs when we land in the states.

Thread Information