Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building... "The Smoking Room" and I need advice!!!!

Question Building... "The Smoking Room" and I need advice!!!!

Hi All,

Now, with winter (yes, to you midwesterners, I said it...) with winter coming in a few months, I am going to have to figure out how to build a "Smoking Room" or a "Man's Room". My wife doesn't like cigar smoke. Let's face it, I am not going to lounge out in -10 degree weather in my garage just so I can relax and freeze...

I have a fairly small basement that is going to be finished (approx 11' by 25'.) One room will be my smoking room and the other will be probably a bedroom for one of my boys. Both will be cozy and small but functional.

Here is where I need all of your help... I would like a classic leather loveseat on the back wall and a TV on the front wall with a coffee table in the middle. The overall room size will probably be 12' by 10 or 11' and there is a window on the far side that is egress I will be working around.

What would be your best recommendation for smoke filtration? I am cost conscious, but don't mind spending money to get the best bang.

The other thing, what kinds of things should I be thinking about for my "Smoke Room" in the designing phases? I am not looking to go too elaborate, but does anyone have the "Dang, I should have thought about that" tips for me? You know, lighting, outlets, coffee tables, filtration (as mentioned above)... You guys know what I am asking for? You know, the things that you say to yourself like... "next time I am going to do this differently.........."

Thanks all!

Joe aka SW

I would make it a point to have a flat screen on the wall. Something like Panasonic, Sony, or Dell. Also, I'd have a little sound system with surround sound. Ha ha. A wireless internet connection and a new Macbook would also be cool to keep up with CS. A zebrawood Daniel Marshall humidor would also be present filled with Cohibas. Now back to reality...
    Edit: hold off on the Macbook now, is receiving the Core 2 Duo processor next month.
    Last edited by cls515; 08-11-2006 at 08:34 PM.

Instead of a coffee table you might want an end table to put next to your lounge. As lazy as it sounds you probably won't want to lean forward to ash or pick up your glass when you are reclined; better to have a table next to you within reach. A standing ashtray would also be a good solution.

Others:

Small sound system
    Some tasteful pictures/signs/paintings
    Minifridge
    Small dry bar w/ glasses and choice beverages

Good luck and HAVE FUN!

-John
    When nothing is certain everything is possible.

Hahh! Now we are talking!!! Thanks for the ideas... Keep em coming all!!!! If my wifey doesn't like smoking in the house... any filtration ideas?

Aren't those Ionic Breeze(not sure if that's correct name) things supposed to filter stuff like odor out of the air...you could look at getting something like that to have running.
    Brian Wells

6. Default

50 inch plasma tv. i saw a panasonic viera at costco the other day for $3300. it's also on their web site. will probably be another price drop after xmas.

don't forget a small bar, small fridge.

Like Jharri31 said, ditch the coffee table. I'd opt for a matching ottoman and an end table instead. You can allways buy a little tray to set on the ottoman to hold magazines and remotes. I'm partial to plasmas, but they still aren't cheap. If you looking to save a little dough, go with a rear projection HDTV. They have DLP TVs now that don't take up alot of room and are cheaper than similar size plasmas. I'm not sure surround sound will be that good in such a small room. I go with a media pc or laptop instead and tie it into the tv so you can use it as a monitor. As far as air filtration goes, you might want to look into some type of smoke eater or an exhaust fan for that window. I'd stay away from carpet and go with hardwood if it's practical.

Coffee table humidor

this would be pretty cool. They have this in Mahogany. They also have a mahogany end table humidor as well.

I've heard that Czonka and other ionic-breeze type filters are pretty good. I would personally find a very quiet bathroom fan (also paintable to match the walls!) and put it against the wall to vent the smoke outside. (I think that works, not entirely sure.)

Oh, and one of those cigar indians. A smoking room isn't complete without one of those!!
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Pomegranates: 0
    Funky Chickens: 2

Blog Entries

Ohhhhh I like that coffee table. If you wanted to go back in time and pick up a side humidor that acts like furniture. Most of them are lined with copper and it would be very cost effective. The main thing to worry about is the smoke and the smell. I suggest some kind of fan system that blows the smoke away from the door leading to the main house and out a window . You need more then one, again I looking at the cheapest way out. DO you have the small windows in your basement? I think we need some pics smiles!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVitaleMob View Post
    Coffee table humidor

this would be pretty cool. They have this in Mahogany. They also have a mahogany end table humidor as well.

I've heard that Czonka and other ionic-breeze type filters are pretty good. I would personally find a very quiet bathroom fan (also paintable to match the walls!) and put it against the wall to vent the smoke outside. (I think that works, not entirely sure.)

Oh, and one of those cigar indians. A smoking room isn't complete without one of those!!

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Talking

Killer ideas! I will have to post some pics of what I have to work with. I love the idea of a bathroom fan blowing outside. I could use some sort of a flap system like a clothes dryer would have to the outside world. I would think two of these would work wonders!!!!

I was digging around. I did find a nice humi end table that stands about 24" tall and holds about 600 sticks.

WOXOF, thanks for the tip about carpeting!!!! I never thought of that.... (dang, feels like I just got done saying that.) I am getting ready to put down a hardwood laminate floor in my kitchen and dining room.... Guess I will have to "accidently" order more flooring to cover another room ......

As for air filtration, I have heard that the Ionic Breeze ain't worth a shit. Try a Csonka air filtration unit, I believe they are much better for cleansing the air of cigar smoke.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

If clean air and keeping smoke out of the rest of the house is your aim, I'd use a combination of methods. A hefty exhaust fan in the ceiling over the main smoking area. An air filtering machine by the door. The odor neutralizing candles or something similar. A sealed waste basket of some sort to empty the ashtray into. Weather seal the door. Make sure the ceiling is finished. Smoke will go through all sorts of cracks otherwise. Smoke will also go through the air vents. I'm not sure if there is a way to put something on them to prevent this or not.

As far as the fun stuff goes, I dream of using an overhead DLP projector hooked up to both a cable tuner, and a PC (with wireless keyboard and mouse) along with my stereo for a complete home theatre/home computer/entertainment system. When compared to the flat panels, they really aren't that expensive, have a huge viewing area, and work well in dimly lit basement areas. The downside is lamps need replacement every year or two with regular use, and they aren't cheap. A small wet bar with a mini-fridge and your favorite spirits. A book case for your favorite reading next to an easy chair and lamp. A coffee table humidor.

I'm dreaming again!
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka View Post
    As for air filtration, I have heard that the Ionic Breeze ain't worth a shit. Try a Csonka air filtration unit, I believe they are much better for cleansing the air of cigar smoke.
    I also remember hearing that as well. As far as projectors and DLPs go, they are nice, but I mean, we are talking about choosing these over plasma. You can get a good plasma for $1500-$2000 easy with computer input.

Quote Originally Posted by cls515 View Post
    I also remember hearing that as well. As far as projectors and DLPs go, they are nice, but I mean, we are talking about choosing these over plasma. You can get a good plasma for $1500-$2000 easy with computer input.
    HD compatible plasma is inarguably the best picture quality. The projectors are good if you want a HUGE movie screen type area. Hell, if you want to save cash, you can get 32 inch flat screen CRT's for $400 now. I bought one for the living room. Rear projection TV's are pretty cheap in comparison too.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

15. Default

The coffee table humidor looks pretty cool. For my money, I would go with something different so you can order a reclining leather loveseat. It feels so much better than putting your feet on a coffee table.

The cigar store indians can be had on ebay for less than you probably think. I bought a 2 foot one last week.

If your budget doesn't allow for the plasma or DLP set, take a look at the HDTV's from Samsung called Slimfit. My son bought the 30 inch for his room for about $700 and it's only 16 inches deep. He took the money he saved on the TV and bought a decent but small surround sound system. We had the sharp liquid aquos LCD set setting side by side in his room and there was a difference, but as he said not double the cost worth of difference.

I hope you do post photos when your room is up and running.

I would think for air quality having a good exhaust system would be most important.
    End of line.

If you want to go cutting edge, check this out: http://www.s1digital.com/Media_Cente...ion_p/mcpe.htm This is sick. It has the latest Intel processor dubbed Core 2 Duo, which I don't even think is out in stores yet. The processor is replacing the Core Duo chips which were only released within what, the past year? Watch HDTV, have surround sound, internet, the baddest processor on the market, store your music collection on it, watch/burn DVDs, record television in HDTV, I mean...it is sick.
    Last edited by cls515; 08-11-2006 at 08:29 PM.

I'd at least get this cigar cabinet for a smoking room. You know you want it, and you know you'll fill it! http://www.cigarhumidors-online.com/...nsenlarge.html

I have that humidor, and I run this http://www.avallohumidors.com/Accumonitor.html humidity system in it, it is always a constant %70 humidity, top and bottom.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Someday, whenever I build my own house, I'm planning on designing a smoking room for it. But instead of buying a humidor I'd like to have a "closet" in the room that is actually a humidor itself. My idea would be kind of like if the link Roham posted was built into the wall.
    End of line.

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    I'd at least get this cigar cabinet for a smoking room. You know you want it, and you know you'll fill it! http://www.cigarhumidors-online.com/...nsenlarge.html

I have that humidor, and I run this http://www.avallohumidors.com/Accumonitor.html humidity system in it, it is always a constant %70 humidity, top and bottom.
    Depending on the humidor and ventilation, I'd be concerned about smoking in the same room with my collection. I guess the humidor seals pretty well but if you decide to open it up while you have a cloud in the room, won't the smoke effect the collection? Just a thought.

Thread Information