Thread: Glass Tube sealed w/ Wax

Default Glass Tube sealed w/ Wax

Cigars in Tubos or glass tubos with wax closures........ Do I need to put those things in my Humi or is it ok to leave them outside or put them inside my fridge?

Plus, do I need to take them out of the tubos if I do put them inside the humi? The only reason I ask is, I have a cigar in a glass Tube, and the top is enclosed with wax. I just like the look of it. But, if the cigar will go bad with me just leaving it in the tube, then I'll take it out and put it in the humi, it's just that the presentation isn't there anymore. Thanks for the help.

Andrew

From doing a quick search, you should be able to find out that the plastic or wax should do a pretty good job of keeping it sealed and humidified but you also put it in the humi.

The wax and glass tubes will not completely seal. Put it in the humi as is, and it will eventaully take on the same rh as the humidor. Same idea as putting a sealed box in a humi.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Do not EVER store cigars in a refrigerator!!! This is a VERY common misunderstanding...

Cigars need to be kept at about 70 degrees, in an environment with a relative humidity of between 60 and 70 (some cigars smoke better "wet" at 70%, while others smoke better "dry" 60%).

If there is ANY leak (even an extremely miniscule leak) in the cigar tube, the interior of that tube will seek to reach the environmental humidity. So - if the tube is originally at 70%, and the exterior humidity is at 50% - the tube will reach 50% in fairly short order... It's best to store all cigars (even in a tube) in a properly humidified humidor...

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Do not EVER store cigars in a refrigerator!!! This is a VERY common misunderstanding...

Cigars need to be kept at about 70 degrees, in an environment with a relative humidity of between 60 and 70 (some cigars smoke better "wet" at 70%, while others smoke better "dry" 60%).

If there is ANY leak (even an extremely miniscule leak) in the cigar tube, the interior of that tube will seek to reach the environmental humidity. So - if the tube is originally at 70%, and the exterior humidity is at 50% - the tube will reach 50% in fairly short order... It's best to store all cigars (even in a tube) in a properly humidified humidor...
    Good catch. I completely missed the part about the fridge. cigars + fridge is a bad idea.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up guys. The cigars in the tubes I leave outside, but now I'm going to leave some room in my Humi and put the tubos inside.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post

I'm not sure that the temperature of the fridge would cause a problem, it would probably retard the maturation process but not do any damage (at least you won't get beatled). The problem with refrigerators is that they effectively act as dehumidifiers in the interior (condensation anyone) and so would dry out the cigar.

Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that a little fresh air in the humi occasionally accelarates the maturation process.

Just my 2c
    Last edited by stjohnroe; 09-06-2006 at 10:27 AM. Reason: spellung
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

bigpoppapuff Guest

refrigerator.....too cold and too dry...not to be used for cigar storage!!!!...

Thread Information