Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having a bit of a humidor problem (condensation)

1. Default Having a bit of a humidor problem (condensation)

So here's the deal. I opened up my humi today and noticed that there were wet spots on a couple of the cigars. I think it might be that I have it packed too full, and I know it isnt dripping from the humidifier. Anyone know what could be causing this, and if I need to do anything with the affected cigars?
    Life: Sexually transmitted, always fatal.

Wet spots would probably come from:
    a) Condensation (dew) from the humidor atmosphere. At room temperature, this would occur around 100% humidity.

b) You spilled a couple of drops of water fussing around with your humidifier.

If the answer is a, you have a real problem with mold. It has either formed allready, or is forming as you read this post. Lower the humidity.

Answer b is no big deal, wipe the gars off and fugget about it.

You can't pack a humidor too full. Check out how full the cigar manufacturers fill the little humidors (boxes) they sell thier cigars in. Some boxes are packed so full, they call the cigars "box-pressed" .
    In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

3. Default

ok, i took the humidifier out and shook it around to see if i could get it to drip, it didnt. I left it out to let the humidity drop a bit. anything I can do to ensure mold doesnt take over?

bigpoppapuff Guest

how high are you keeping the rh??....

5. Default

I'm not sure, I broke my hygrometer trying to adjust it, turns out it wasnt adjustable, woops. The last reading I got from it was around 70% about a week and a half ago when I added a few more cigars to it. That's when I began to notice the wetness.

bigpoppapuff Guest

70% is too high....try to hit 62-65%.....

let's say,btw,that your reading was off...maybe it was 70+???....

62-65 is the way to go....

7. Default

I did the salt test and it read 61, after a few days in the humi, it was reading about 56. My reading could have been off, but I dont it was more than 1-2 either way. Ill go out and get a digi tomorrow though, and probably order some beads as well, looks like i've been putting it off for too long.

if it's a humidity problem, them heartfelt beads will knock it out. i'm telling ya, i've had my beads for about two weeks, rh has been been 64-66, and i open mine alot. smells so good. so ya, definately worth the money.

Get yourself a reliable hygrometer, that is the only way you can know what is going on in your humidor. There are plenty of sources for good units at fair prices, calibrate it and put it to work.

If you are interested here are the units I sell. http://heartfeltindustries.com/store/index.php?cPath=35

Even if you don't get it from me do your self a favor and get one.

not only will i endorse Heartfelt Beads, i would also highly suggest his hygrometers. Adjustable and works like a charm. Good price too.

I also bought a 50 pound bag of 65% beads and spread them out in my apartment and made myself an apartmidor. It's hot as balls in here, but man it smells good.
    Last edited by chefchris; 10-06-2006 at 12:32 AM.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Viper139 View Post
    Get yourself a reliable hygrometer, that is the only way you can know what is going on in your humidor. There are plenty of sources for good units at fair prices, calibrate it and put it to work.

If you are interested here are the units I sell. http://heartfeltindustries.com/store/index.php?cPath=35

Well, I took your advice before you gave it. Last night I ordered the heartfelt hygro/thermo, a half ounce of 65% beads, and a blue rhino lighter/punch.

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    I also bought a 50 pound bag of 65% beads and spread them out in my apartment and made myself an apartmidor. It's hot as balls in here, but man it smells good.
    You sir, need some help.

I hope you don't have cats.

It took me forever to buy into the beads....They are the ONLY way to go!

The beads from Heartfelt Indy are the best. It was one for the first things I learned here, that and get a coolidor, and the thing about Macadoodles, and the search function. But get beads, and get a hygrometer. Radio shack, Heartfelt, Walmart, your local B&M, CBid, etc. But get beads.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

...and in case it hasn't been mentioned yet; get the beads.

Seriously, when you get your order, test the humidity with the hydrometer. If it's very high, put the beads in dry and wait for the humidity to level out to 65% before you charge the beads per the enclosed instructions. It might take a few days to equalize, but be patient. You don't want to dry the cigars out too quickly. And if you are having problems with high humidity you will probably be using the beads to pull moisture out of the air, so be sure not to overcharge them.

And gat the beads!

I have just bought some myself, I just have to know if they are that good!
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Midlothian, Virginia in the Subs. Longwood University....in FARMVILLE Virginia....

Quote Originally Posted by Viper139 View Post

Im not trying to disagree with anyone, but i find that hygrometers dont always work. So what i tend to do is to feel the cigar. Squeeze it gently. It its not to mushy, but does not crack when you squeeze it, you are good to go!!!
    "After a truly good meal, an outstanding cigar is still the most satisfying after-dinner activity that doesn't involve two human beings."
    Brad Shaw

"Pull out a Montecristo at a dinner party and the political liberal turns into the nicotine facist."
    -- Martyn Harris

1 termite
    +1 raisin

bigpoppapuff Guest

YMMV....but analogs are a pain in the ass....but digitals seem to work fine....

...btw...get the beads...

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    ...and in case it hasn't been mentioned yet; get the beads.

Seriously, when you get your order, test the humidity with the hydrometer. If it's very high, put the beads in dry and wait for the humidity to level out to 65% before you charge the beads per the enclosed instructions. It might take a few days to equalize, but be patient. You don't want to dry the cigars out too quickly. And if you are having problems with high humidity you will probably be using the beads to pull moisture out of the air, so be sure not to overcharge them.

And gat the beads!
    That's good shit right there. Good advice Shelby!

20. Default

I'm still not sure about one thing though. Should I get the beads?

Thread Information