Thread: Humitron 2100 -- the ultimate humidifier (a proposal)

1. Default Humitron 2100 -- the ultimate humidifier (a proposal)

Hola!

My aim is to create the ultimate humidity control system for large humidors, cabinets, coolers, etc.

That's what brought me to these forums -- a desire to find like-minded propellerheads who would like to participate in some collaborative R&D.

First of all, I have a Cigar Oasis Plus XL. I'm not particularly happy with it. It's basically a $100 toy, not a serious instrument.

There are three inherent design flaws: 1) The hygrometer cannot be calibrated (if I'm wrong, PLEASE correct me). 2) The hygrometer is one centimeter above a resevoir of evaporating distilled water. DUH! and 3) For those of us in the tropics, the unit cannot wick moisture from the air -- it's a humidifier, not a humidity-control system.

(Yes, I know I could add PG to the distilled water -- I want something more robust.)

I'm in the beginning stages of building a new humidification system. I thought more people might be interested in this -- particularly if they have a LOT of cigars.

Barring finding a more suitable base, I'm planning to use this instrument as the brains behind the system:

http://www.cometsystem.cz/english/re...ataloggers.htm

From there, a cord will go down to the bottom of the cabinet to a one-gallon fan-powered credo. Louvered doors will be in place above the fan, so moisture doesn't escape when not needed. Programming a relay to run off the output of the control unit shouldn't be too hard (it's beyond my abilities, sure, but it's just a USB device).

Add to this system Bluetooth capability, so the user can control the unit with a cell phone, blackberry, PDA or ANY internet connection. (That alone is worth it for me.)

Options include an ammonia-meter (to kick on another fan to ventilate), or an oxygen-meter (same reason).

Any other ideas for your "perfect" humidifier?

Quote Originally Posted by ScoopKW View Post
    Hola!

My aim is to create the ultimate humidity control system for large humidors, cabinets, coolers, etc.

That's what brought me to these forums -- a desire to find like-minded propellerheads who would like to participate in some collaborative R&D.

First of all, I have a Cigar Oasis Plus XL. I'm not particularly happy with it. It's basically a $100 toy, not a serious instrument.

There are three inherent design flaws: 1) The hygrometer cannot be calibrated (if I'm wrong, PLEASE correct me). 2) The hygrometer is one centimeter above a resevoir of evaporating distilled water. DUH! and 3) For those of us in the tropics, the unit cannot wick moisture from the air -- it's a humidifier, not a humidity-control system.

(Yes, I know I could add PG to the distilled water -- I want something more robust.)

I'm in the beginning stages of building a new humidification system. I thought more people might be interested in this -- particularly if they have a LOT of cigars.

Barring finding a more suitable base, I'm planning to use this instrument as the brains behind the system:

http://www.cometsystem.cz/english/re...ataloggers.htm

From there, a cord will go down to the bottom of the cabinet to a one-gallon fan-powered credo. Louvered doors will be in place above the fan, so moisture doesn't escape when not needed. Programming a relay to run off the output of the control unit shouldn't be too hard (it's beyond my abilities, sure, but it's just a USB device).

Add to this system Bluetooth capability, so the user can control the unit with a cell phone, blackberry, PDA or ANY internet connection. (That alone is worth it for me.)

Options include an ammonia-meter (to kick on another fan to ventilate), or an oxygen-meter (same reason).

Any other ideas for your "perfect" humidifier?
    Dude: i have learnd slowly it is not the cost \of the toy. Back off now and apologize... ... I just do not like your tone. I among other with cabs will chime in with suggestions if you chill back a bit'.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

In the infamous words of Ron Popeil, "Just set it and forget it."
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by HarvInSTL View Post
    In the infamous words of Ron Popeil, "Just set it and forget it."
    I find these beads intriguing.

Are they suitable for a cigar cabinet? (Say, a couple thousand stick capacity?)

I still think I like the high-tech, moving-air system. That being said -- a high-tech, moving-air system would work just DANDY with these beads.

Beads are the ultimate.If you buy enough,they will work in any size cabinet.There are size charts on the website.

Quote Originally Posted by dpenix76 View Post
    Beads are the ultimate.If you buy enough,they will work in any size cabinet.There are size charts on the website.
    I will have to respectfully disagree

I have this for my cabinet humidor and it works awsome! I think it is the perfect system.

ScoopKW, why you would waste your time building a system instead of buying this one is beyond me...

Check it out guys...

http://www.avallohumidors.com/Accumonitor.html

If the humidity is too high it will just circulate the air with the extra fans every hour for a minute. Other wise it will turn on the humidity canister fans whenever the humidity drops past the desired point, then when it reaches the humidity it will run the additional fans for another minute to insure even distribution. The hygrometer is calibratable, as well as the actual unit(new feature).

And if you live in a REALLY humid enviroment then adding some blow dryed beads will absorb the excess moisture from the air, but I still don't think that would really ever be needed.

my two cents
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    I will have to respectfully disagree

I have this for my cabinet humidor and it works awsome! I think it is the perfect system.

ScoopKW, why you would waste your time building a system instead of buying this one is beyond me...

Check it out guys...

http://www.avallohumidors.com/Accumonitor.html

THAT is almost exactly what I had in mind. I hate being a few months behind the times.

I think the unit would be even better with bluetooth. But that's basically just a "gee whiz" option which I can do without.

I don't suppose the company that makes the control unit/digital hygrometer is listed anywhere? I'd love to find out more about the "guts" of the system, being a hopeless geek.

8. Default

No offense dudes but I smoke cigars ,not obsess with RH and gadgets. I have a bowl of gel in each of my coolers and it keeps the cigars @62-65 RH . Anything higher is too wet,regardless of wrapper ect ect
    The older I get ,the better I was

I gotta agree with Kevin here.When I first got into cigars,I worried constantly about humidity and all that shit.I dont even use a hygrometer now.I just look at my beads and when they start getting dry,I'll stick a glass of distilled water in for a couple of days to recharge them.A little swing in rh here and there isn't going to hurt anything.

10. Default

I gotta agree with Kevin here.When I first got into cigars,I worried constantly about humidity and all that shit.I dont even use a hygrometer now.I just look at my beads and when they start getting dry,I'll stick a glass of distilled water in for a couple of days to recharge them.A little swing in rh here and there isn't going to hurt anything.
    Thats how its supposed to work,enjoy the cigars not obsess over them like they are priceless works of art. They are not,they are cigars
    The older I get ,the better I was

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    enjoy the cigars
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

.A little swing in rh here and there isn't going to hurt anything.
    Thats not 100% true, swings in RH can cause a cigar to swell and crack the wrapper. Sure if it cracks at the foot thats fixable, but the entire purpose of the gel, beads,etc is to keep the humidty steady.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    Thats how its supposed to work,enjoy the cigars not obsess over them like they are priceless works of art. They are not,they are cigars
    Beuaty is in the eye of the beholder. I watched someone last weekend spend $600 on 1 (one) cigar. Besides if you obsess over them like priceless works of art that doesn't mean that you can't enjoy them too.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Thread Information