Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graycliff

Default Graycliff

anybody ever smoked one? they had quite a variety of them at my local shop. they smell wonderful. but the cheapest is $20.

Sorry but no I have not. There are three different ones at my local shop and they are $24 to $30 a piece. I am still hovering around the $5 - $15 mark and probably average less than $10.

I ahve heard that they are fantastic though. I would love to do a blind tase test and know for sure.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

I've haven't had the chance to try these. Man those prices sound steep though.

4. Default

I've smoked several Graycliff Expresso Pirates. They are one fantastic smoke..prolly in the top five I've ever smoked. They can be found at C-Bid sometimes for alot less than MSRP. I gave $12 each for a fiver last ones I bought.

decent smoke.. but definately not worth the 20.oo
    I would rather smoke a habano!

I did enjoy the MIKE DITKA cigar by Grayclif it was a rather smokey and medium bodied cigar.. with a great construction and very good burn.

Blog Entries

I've smoked a couple of these and I don't think they are worth the money. Specifically, I smoked the President. Here's my review:

Greycliff Expresso President

CC . . .

Nice review but have you smoked another since then? I know, you did not like it so why would you smoke another, but you may have gotten a bad one. If you ever smoke another let us know if there was a change in your opinion.

I would agree for a cigar like that (looking at your review) $20 a piece is outrageous.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing
    CC . . .

Nice review but have you smoked another since then? I know, you did not like it so why would you smoke another, but you may have gotten a bad one. If you ever smoke another let us know if there was a change in your opinion.

I would agree for a cigar like that (looking at your review) $20 a piece is outrageous.
    No, I have not tried another one and in this case, it wasn't like it was a bum cigar (like being plugged or full of stems) it just did not appeal to me at all. They're pretty popular and the company appears to be trying to market these as a super premium smoke but there's no way they are on par with a Padron 1926, an Opus X or a Davidoff Millennium.

9. Default

I was interested in trying a Graycliff. I splurged this past summer and purchased 2 Davidoff Anniversario No. 3's and they were awesome. I did pay $20.00 apiece for them but they were worth it. I have thought about picking up a box, but I need to get my humidor issues under control first.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86
    No, I have not tried another one and in this case, it wasn't like it was a bum cigar (like being plugged or full of stems) it just did not appeal to me at all. They're pretty popular and the company appears to be trying to market these as a super premium smoke but there's no way they are on par with a Padron 1926, an Opus X or a Davidoff Millennium.
    I've only had one Padron before, and i didnt like it at all, i dont know what kind it was, it wasnt a 1926 though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QuietC
    I've only had one Padron before, and i didnt like it at all, i dont know what kind it was, it wasnt a 1926 though.
    Do you think it might have been a 2000, a 3000, a 4000 or a 5000? If so, they are very different from the higher end Padrons like the Padron Anniversary 1964, the Padron 1926 or the Padron Millennium.

I too am not very fond of the X000 Padrons.

i'm not sure what kind it was, got it in the humi during christmas, i'll see if i can find a pic of it. The band just is brown with the padron name on it and a leaf on each side of that. If that even helps any, probably not

13. Default

I had a 6000 last week and it sucked. Never had a bad 1926 ot 1964.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QuietC
    i'm not sure what kind it was, got it in the humi during christmas, i'll see if i can find a pic of it. The band just is brown with the padron name on it and a leaf on each side of that. If that even helps any, probably not
    Actually that does help quite a bit. The 1964s and the 1926s have TWO bands on them and they specifically say "1964" or "1926" on them so I would venture to guess that you probably had one of the X000 Padrons or maybe one of the others listed HERE

Quote Originally Posted by wrath186
    I was interested in trying a Graycliff. I splurged this past summer and purchased 2 Davidoff Anniversario No. 3's and they were awesome. I did pay $20.00 apiece for them but they were worth it. I have thought about picking up a box, but I need to get my humidor issues under control first.

I've had the Expresso Pirate and Churchill, and the Mike Ditka. They are not BAD smokes... I don't think they're worth $20.

Now if I was going to buy a $20 cigar, the Annivesario #3 is it!!! That is ONE FABULOUS smoke!!! Good call, Wrath...

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86
    Actually that does help quite a bit. The 1964s and the 1926s have TWO bands on them and they specifically say "1964" or "1926" on them so I would venture to guess that you probably had one of the X000 Padrons or maybe one of the others listed HERE
    thats the same kind of band mine had, so must of been one of those, whichever it was, i would not recommend it
    what are the 64's and 26's like?
    Last edited by QuietC; 04-28-2005 at 09:07 PM. Reason: spelling

I've actually developed a taste for some of the Padron X000 line. I think it is the 6000's I like. But yeah the 1926 and 1964 are much better very complex well made cigars. I always have a couple on hand of the 64's. A lower priced cigar I consider a premium cigar (I pay $7 to $9 in Kentucky for them) is the Carlos Torano Tribute Maduro.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Jack
    I've actually developed a taste for some of the Padron X000 line. I think it is the 6000's I like. But yeah the 1926 and 1964 are much better very complex well made cigars. I always have a couple on hand of the 64's. A lower priced cigar I consider a premium cigar (I pay $7 to $9 in Kentucky for them) is the Carlos Torano Tribute Maduro.
    I agree with you CJ, those Torano Tributes are nice smokes. Like you said, they go for about $8.00

The Carlos Torano Exodus 1959 Golds are also nice smokes and can be found for less than $3.00 per stick (I like the Toro size).

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge
    I've smoked several Graycliff Expresso Pirates. They are one fantastic smoke..prolly in the top five I've ever smoked. They can be found at C-Bid sometimes for alot less than MSRP. I gave $12 each for a fiver last ones I bought.
    i'm at the half way point of my first graycliff right now. it's an espresso pirate. i paid way too much for it, but i couldn't resist for some reason.

this cigar is definitely one of the best i've ever smoked. i don't know if i've had a better tasting cigar. the construction is awesome. perfectly even burn.

Default I just can't........

I'm sorry.....I....I....I just can't spend $20 on a cigar. For one I don't have the income and secondly even if I did...........$20 on a cigar?

Maybe if it was a VERY special occasion.

I mean I'm not criticizing ANYONE who would do so. If I remember back in my slightly greener days, I bought two Padron Anniversarios shelling out about $15 a piece I think. That nearly gave me an anneurism as it was, but they were great. Those two were the only times I had actually experienced a floral taste from a cigar. There was a nice suggestion of sweet flowers. Intriguing. But that was the foolishness of youth.

I top out at around ten bucks a pop for something special these days. My dailies I like to keep in the $5 range.

$20 on a cigar? Then there's the debate about is ANY cigar really worth $20. Well?

Thread Information