Thread: Problem with Cigars Drying Out in Humidor

1. Default Problem with Cigars Drying Out in Humidor

I need some help. I have had my humidor for about a year and a half. It is about a 50 ct humidor. I usually have 5-10 cigars in it. I put distilled water into the humidifier disk every week or so and the humidometer always reads between 70-75. This all seems like everything should be fine, but if I let a cigar sit in the humidor for a few months it usually dries out and cracks and falls apart if I try and smoke it. I especially see this problem with cigars that are not in cellophane wrappers. Do you think the humidometer is not calibrated or am I doing something else wrong.

Blog Entries

You should probably do a salt test on the hygrometer to make sure its not bad (search the forum). I would suggest just going ahead and dishing out the $20 for a digital hygrometer though, its well worth it in the long run.

You may want to re season the humidor as well. Also check for a tight seal to make sure the humidity isn't just escaping.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

Also, if the cigars come with cello, don't take them off. The cello helps keep the cigars at a constant humidity. Especially if your humidor goes up and down a lot.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

You need to fill up that humidor. Humidors work more efficiently when they are full because there is less air to escape everytime you open it up. Also, you don't need to fill up the humidifier every week. Wait until the RH drops a few degrees, then fill it up. Better yet, just buy some beads and you don't have to worry much about them.

Laso it matters if the disk was charged with PG or not, chances are it may have not been.

Thread Information