Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top Shelf Bourbon

Quote Originally Posted by bill8991 View Post
    FWIW, Buffalo Trace is my favorite. My understanding from touring the distillery a few years ago while in Frankfort on other business is that they are going to slowly roll it out across the country as more and more of their stock is ready to come out of the barrels and head into stores. That may explain why it's hard to find. We've got it here in Virginia and, I imagine, you can get it at least around the South.

Now that I think about it, this might be the perfect afternoon to go home early and have a little, with a good cigar of course...
    Speaking of tours, Some buddies and I are planning a "camping" trip for this spring. We are going to hit some of the distilleries around Louisville (Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark, whatever else) and then head south to Lynchburg, TN for a stop at Jack Daniels.

Quote Originally Posted by WOXOF View Post
    Speaking of tours, Some buddies and I are planning a "camping" trip for this spring. We are going to hit some of the distilleries around Louisville (Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark, whatever else) and then head south to Lynchburg, TN for a stop at Jack Daniels.
    That sounds like a good trip!

I tried a bottle of 12 year old Ezra B. bourbon last night. Sadly, no cigar... The bourbon was a little hot and not quite as smooth as the Evan Williams I had a few nights ago. I would definitely rate it as a top shelf bourbon, but it's not at the top of my list.
    "Differences can be resolved in ways that are fair to all, but reason must prevail over passion if there is to be a climate conducive to the settlement of disagreements."
    Ronald Reagan in a speech given to the Supreme Soviet, September 17, 1990

The foothills of the Sierra mountains about 50 miles west of Lake Tahoe.

I can't believe I haven't noticed this thread before.

Buffalo Trace is also my favorite. And guess what? It's made at the same distillery as Blanton's and Ancient Age. A couple of years ago I went to Kentucky an a vacation and we visited Maker's Mark and Buffalo Trace. BT was WAY better than MM.

I'll try to track down my photos and post them here. I've got some great shots of the distillery.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayakinboy View Post
    I'm wanting to try the Havana Club Rum, but it's a little hard to find here in America and all.

Had a quick sip of the 7yo a moment ago (strictly for celebrations and always neat) I picked up a few years ago just now, and my word, tis damn good.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Wow, looks like I'm in good company...

Woodford Reserve or Knob Creek when the budget allows, Jack Daniels or Crown Royal when I'm in a cheap(er) whiskey mood. I do the Woody and Knob neat, and the Jack and Crown for mixing.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by SideWinder View Post
    That sounds like a good trip!
    It's not that far of a drive from Nap town. I'll give you a heads up when/if we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dru Lee Parsec View Post
    I can't believe I haven't noticed this thread before.

Buffalo Trace is also my favorite. And guess what? It's made at the same distillery as Blanton's and Ancient Age. A couple of years ago I went to Kentucky an a vacation and we visited Maker's Mark and Buffalo Trace. BT was WAY better than MM.

I'll try to track down my photos and post them here. I've got some great shots of the distillery.
    Pics would be great. I've toured the Jack Daniels distillery twice and enjoy the history of it. I'm looking forward to the seeing others. I think we're going to camp out at the Mammoth Cave National Park and tour as many as we can in two days.

I'm not a big bourbon drinker, more of a scotch man, but Woodford Reserve is an exception. It is about the only bourbon I enjoy drinking.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by WOXOF View Post
    It's not that far of a drive from Nap town. I'll give you a heads up when/if we go.
    Sounds good! I'm trying to plan a weekender for sometime in the Spring with my wife and would like to include a trip through Frankfort, KY to tour the distillery where Blanton's is made.

Edit: I suppose it's fitting enough that my 100th post was in the Top Shelf Bourbon thread...
    Last edited by SideWinder; 01-20-2007 at 10:02 AM. Reason: 100th Post Note
    "Differences can be resolved in ways that are fair to all, but reason must prevail over passion if there is to be a climate conducive to the settlement of disagreements."

9. Default

Pappy van Winkle 20 yr old if you're willing to spring for it, but the 15 yr old is pretty good, too.
    Jefferson Reserve is another favorite.

10. Default

Pappy van Winkle 20 yr old if you're willing to spring for it
    By far the best bourbon I have ever had, no shit. My every other "daily" bourbon is Eagle Rare 10.

11. Default

Love Eagle Rare 10, too.

Another reasonable one is Rowan's Creek

If you want to knock your socks off, try George T Stagg--around 140 proof!!

The stash:
    Last edited by bigtoys; 03-03-2007 at 01:30 AM.

Default Bourbon Update

We've take quite a few distillery tours since I started this thread. Blanton's is made at Buffalo Trace and still my favorite. Four Roses single barrel is a close second to Blanton's. Just a few more stamps to fill up the Bourbon Trail passport!

Thumbs up

1792 reserve, and Elijah Craig are great bourbons, too . . . Maker's is my go-to daily bourbon, but I like to try them all.

http://www.kybourbonfestival.com/ Y'all come to KY in September, and have a drink or nine at the Bourbon Festival!

After reading a few posts where Knob Creek was the drink of choice, I went out and bought a 750ml bottle.
    Last night I had a small glass, neat, wow was it smooth! I smoked a RP Edge corojo along the side.
    This was my first top shelf experience, but I would love to try more!

Blog Entries

Holy crap. I found some Buffalo Trace, and man is it good. I was surprised to find it though, as their website says it is not available here.
    "Those are like the holy grail of cigars. Indiana Jones and the search for Argenicadomipanurans"
    -Denver24

"Your telling me I need to segregate my grape flavored blunts from the sour apple ones?"
    -Mangyrat

My father just shared an Evan Williams, neat, with me. I was suprised at its taste. I liked it, even though I didn't think I would. Must have been the price that through me off.
    I still prefer the Knob Creek, but I would not turn my nose up to the Evan Williams if offered again.

If you like Evan Williams I highly recommend Elijah Craig. Made by the same people.

Blog Entries

Must have been the price that through me off.
    You and Mangyrat need to get together and coordinate your usage of the words through and threw.

-Buzz
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

Had some moonshine bourbon from Alabama last night, and I must say it far surpasses any other bourbon I have had. It was 107 proof according to the guy who gave it to me. He used to run it for the maker while he was in college. He recently got a legitimate job managing a business so he is just enjoying the last few jars. According to him this bourbon fetches $40 per pint. I would say the flavor profile is somewhat near Makers, but a little bit sweeter and way smoother. If he was still in the business, I would have bought a pint or two off of him because I doubt I will ever find a bourbon to match it.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    You and Mangyrat need to get together and coordinate your usage of the words through and threw.

-Buzz
    This dang english language is hard enough without drinking cheap bourbon first!!

Thread Information