Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotch

So drew, whats it going to be? So many to try!
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Not sure yet. I am going to be heading down to the wine market when I get home on the 7th and will let you know what I decide on.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

I got a bottle of the Glen Livet 18 year old at Sams club for around 40.00 a month ago. It is almost gone.. Good stuff. I love it and just pour it over ice.

4. Default

For a first scotch I'd recommend any young Speyside or Highland if you're into light toast and white wine. Try a young Islay if you're into burnt toast and red wine. The latter is what got me hooked. Laphroaig 10 is a good one. If you're into the former, i'd say The Glenlivet 12.

Take a look at http://www.forpeatsake.com/ for ideas. It's a site i've been working on with user submitted scotch reviews and tasting notes.

Colin.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    For a first scotch I'd recommend any young Speyside or Highland if you're into light toast and white wine. Try a young Islay if you're into burnt toast and red wine. The latter is what got me hooked. Laphroaig 10 is a good one. If you're into the former, i'd say The Glenlivet 12.

Take a look at http://www.forpeatsake.com/ for ideas. It's a site i've been working on with user submitted scotch reviews and tasting notes.

Colin.
    Between the Laphroaig 10 and 15, I'd take the 15 yo. But it isnt for beginners thats for sure.

420seth Guest

ya, shit. Scotch (good shit) is great with a smoke. one of my favorite combo's. I just finished off a bottle of this 16 year old isle of Jura scotch. very tasty. expensive, but very tasty. real nice with a bolivar belicosa finos or a partagas 8-9-8.

I just bought a bottle of Auchentoshan 10 year. Not bad for the price.

Geeze all this talk of scotch has made me break out an Ardbeg (my current favourite), chuck a 60's Avengers DVD on and light up another gar (5th of the day) .

When drinking scotch, I highly recommend going the single malt route and drinking it neat, or with a few drops of water (not tap water). I don't recommend pouring scotch over ice, unless you must drink a blend.

Aaahhh... Ardbeg, nice cigar and Emma Peel . Bliss.

Rich

My 2nd favourite tipple at present is Abalour .
    "Science is a candle in the dark" - some science guy

MMmmm... scotch. Another love.

420seth Guest

Yeah, my scotch knowledge is a little behind my cigar stuff but I am working on improving it.

Well, I got out to a Scotch tasting last night. Tried about 20 different varieties ranging from $30-$200+/bottle. I really didn't have a Scotch that night that I didn't like. I really wish I would have thought ahead so I could take some pics and write some notes about the Scotches that I really liked. I ended up going with a bottle of Bowmore 12 year to get me started. Good stuff...really peaty and smoky. I think I like that in a Scotch.

420seth Guest

Angry

Scotch is tight dude. You should try some Irish whiskey as well. they are similar yet totally different. And the irish whiskey seems to be a lot cheaper or the selection is lowsy I am not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rsanz View Post

When drinking scotch, I highly recommend going the single malt route and drinking it neat, or with a few drops of water (not tap water). I don't recommend pouring scotch over ice, unless you must drink a blend.

Most manufactures recommend adding a splash of water to the Scotch, single malts included. I would recommend any newbie to the scotch world have it over ice and slowly reduce the amount of ice as your taste matures until you enjoy it with just a splash. Instead of a few drops of water I usually put in 1 small ice cube or on occasion have it neat.
    A girl phoned me the other day and said ... Come on over, there's nobody home. I went over. Nobody was home.
    -- Rodney Dangerfield

420seth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Quint View Post
    Most manufactures recommend adding a splash of water to the Scotch, single malts included. I would recommend any newbie to the scotch world have it over ice and slowly reduce the amount of ice as your taste matures until you enjoy it with just a splash. Instead of a few drops of water I usually put in 1 small ice cube or on occasion have it neat.
    I go neat all the time. I don't like watered down booze. Cheapens the buzz

Exactly. I talked to a blender right out of Scotland at this tasting and the general consensus was that no matter if Scotch is 43% or Cask Strength, it is designed to be consumed at approximately 30% alcohol. This means watering it down slightly. It was very informative. Lots of very knowledgeable people there willing to talk your ear off. I would recommend that anybody who has a chance to go to a tasting do so. Definitely worth the price of admission

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    Exactly. I talked to a blender right out of Scotland at this tasting and the general consensus was that no matter if Scotch is 43% or Cask Strength, it is designed to be consumed at approximately 30% alcohol. This means watering it down slightly. It was very informative. Lots of very knowledgeable people there willing to talk your ear off. I would recommend that anybody who has a chance to go to a tasting do so. Definitely worth the price of admission
    Thats how I was introduced to scotch it was actually an Scotch and cigar dinner. Awesome time and very educational. We got to sample from various manufacturers, blends to top shelf single malts and learn about each. Also 3 or 4 cigar manufacturers were there so we got about 13 different sticks as well, and talk with them. On top of that it was a gourmet restaurant that served a 5 course meal all for $75.
    A girl phoned me the other day and said ... Come on over, there's nobody home. I went over. Nobody was home.
    -- Rodney Dangerfield

That's the advice I was waiting for Words to live by. I always add a drop or two to my shot of scotch, but I add so little water I still consider it neat... It is just a way to open the boquet a little bit.

Like I told you the night we had the herf, what ever scotch you decide to drink, just take your time. There is no rush, or time limit. As you taste buds mature so will the speed at which you can/want to drink it. Glad to see you are trying it out, and even happier to hear you went to a scotch event. Where was it at?
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    That's the advice I was waiting for Words to live by. I always add a drop or two to my shot of scotch, but I add so little water I still consider it neat... It is just a way to open the boquet a little bit.

Like I told you the night we had the herf, what ever scotch you decide to drink, just take your time. There is no rush, or time limit. As you taste buds mature so will the speed at which you can/want to drink it. Glad to see you are trying it out, and even happier to hear you went to a scotch event. Where was it at?
    Saw a program on Scotch whisky on TV a few weeks ago, they always add a small amount of water, and NEVER ice! I decided to follow that advice since it came directly from a master distiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post

It was at the Unicorn pub downtown in one of their private areas. I scored some tix from a geo-tech firm. I really surprised myself at how much I could drink and still feel fine. I remember getting a glass at the bar...must have been cheap stuff and I had trouble choking it down. I still remember my last glass...an amazing Islay from 1973.

from the future. here are tonights winning lotto numbers

with scotch, or whisky for that matter, I would get a single malt, 18 yo as a start. How you drink it is up to the individual, but... as rules of thumb, dont mix with anything other than water. Dont put ice in them, a master distiller in scotland was saying it does bad things to it. (?) just put a little water in it so it takes the bite off it It shouldnt be burning and making your eyes water. Like a good cigar, let it sit in your mouth for a while. Enjoy the taste on your tounge, then swallow, dont inhale

in saying all that, when camping, in order to get written off, I get some cheap stuff, mix it with coke, and smash it down. if its cheap, its not that good anyway, so treat it how youo wish!
    Smokey the bear says:.....

20. Default

Try Balvenie Doublewood, Talisker (smoky).
    For more $$, try Macallan 15 yr old Fine Oak

Looking forward to trying these:

Thread Information