Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotch

Coming to the party way late, but since Scotch is another of my passions, thought I'd weigh in. For a newbie to Scotch, I'd strongly recommend starting with a quality blend. The newbie palate just isn't ready to appreciate a single-malt. Single-malts don't necessarily taste better, they just have more character and more unique overtones. A good 12-year blend like Pinch is an excellent place to start for a newbie. It's affordable and it's damn good Scotch.

You'll reach a point in time where single malts are something you'll want to enjoy for their uniqueness. But for me, blends are the place to start and develop a palate.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    Try Balvenie Doublewood, Talisker (smoky).
    For more $$, try Macallan 15 yr old Fine Oak

Looking forward to trying these:
    Wow, very nice. My first and favorite bottle so far has been the Bowmore 12 year. I love Islay Scotches.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Frankly, if you aren't an "experienced" scotch drinker, I would suggest you avoid the pricier bottles and instead get a couple of single malts, McClellands offers an Islay (very smoky) and a Highland (lighter) for about 1/2 the price of most other single malts. Probably around $25/.75l. That will give you a couple of points of reference. I haven't found a bad single malt, all are interesting. I haven't drank a blend for so long that I can't speak definitively but never noticed them very memorable. Used to drink Famous Grouse when volume was a priority.

for grins googled and found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McClelland's_Single_Malt

Cheers,

Rusty

There is nothing wrong with a good blend and to say otherwise is falling into the SMS snob trap. The problem is that they don't sell too many in the US.
    Read my Scotch & Bourbon reviews here!

Quote Originally Posted by AVB View Post
    There is nothing wrong with a good blend and to say otherwise is falling into the SMS snob trap. The problem is that they don't sell too many in the US.
    Sounds like you're a B&W kinda guy. I strongly suggest there are other alternatives to falling into the SMS trap - what ever the hell that is...

Taste is always subjective. And I stand by my statement that I recall nothing memorable about blends. Although, I haven't seen any reason to sample them for some time. I suspect the biggest scotch trap around is buying Chevas under the impression it is the top of the line.

If you have suggestions for a good blend, how about sharing. I would love to find an enjoyable scotch at a bourbon price point

Rusty

At about $42.Bottle. I LOVE Oban 14 year old. Prob my favorite to date. On another note and just my opinion McClellands is the worst I have tried to date. Now Macallan on the other hand is another great one. See what ya did. Now I gotta go get me some. Enjoy!
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

Quote Originally Posted by ralford View Post
    If you have suggestions for a good blend, how about sharing. I would love to find an enjoyable scotch at a bourbon price point

Rusty

Some blends cost as much or more the Single malts. JW Blue, Gold, Chivas 21 year old just to name a few that are pricey.

Not sure how cheap it is in the US but Aberlour 10yo is a very drinkable single malt, and quite good value down this way.

http://www.aberlour.com/
    "Science is a candle in the dark" - some science guy

MMmmm... scotch. Another love.

Just thought of something as I re-read this thread. The taxes in Canada on liquor are insane... A case(12) of Bud for about $15.... etc etc (how much is it in the states?)

So a $50 bottle of scotch in Canada is probably equivalent to a $30 US bottle. Something like that;-)
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    Just thought of something as I re-read this thread. The taxes in Canada on liquor are insane... A case(12) of Bud for about $15.... etc etc (how much is it in the states?)

So a $50 bottle of scotch in Canada is probably equivalent to a $30 US bottle. Something like that;-)
    Not sure how much they are here but if you compare the $42 bottle of Oban it should give ya an idea of the differance. Let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post

I actually found when I was in MT after Christmas, the Scotch prices were about the same as in Canada.

Although you could get a liter of vodka for 6 bucks, or a 24 pack of Coors for 12.

12. Default Drew Goring - Scotch

My good man, if your going to drink scotch...make it Chivas Regal. Make sure
    you have an excellent cigar to enjoy with it!

Quote Originally Posted by AshLvr View Post
    My good man, if your going to drink scotch...make it Chivas Regal. Make sure
    you have an excellent cigar to enjoy with it!
    I am actually more of a single malt guy myself. Particularly from the Islay region. Bowmore, Oban, etc.

I'm a single malt man myself.

Currently working on an 18 year Glenfiddich.

Looking for an Islay single malt for my next purchase. I've heard of Laphroaig and Lagavulin.

Any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks!

sammis

Quote Originally Posted by sammis View Post
    I'm a single malt man myself.

Currently working on an 18 year Glenfiddich.

Looking for an Islay single malt for my next purchase. I've heard of Laphroaig and Lagavulin.

Any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks!

sammis
    I think you'll find either to your liking though Laphroaig is less expensive (down this way anyway).

Currently my go to drinks are Lagavulin 1st and Talisker 2nd.
    "Science is a candle in the dark" - some science guy

MMmmm... scotch. Another love.

Quote Originally Posted by rsanz View Post
    I think you'll find either to your liking though Laphroaig is less expensive (down this way anyway).

Currently my go to drinks are Lagavulin 1st and Talisker 2nd.
    Hi Rsanz

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got Green's Discount Warehouse here that has a pretty decent selection. I don't mind paying money for a good product

I'm still in the "let me try out a bunch of different whisky until I find the one I like" phase!

sammis

Quote Originally Posted by Bassfever View Post
    Wow, nice website.

I hadn't run across that one yet, I really like the map with the locations, etc...

Thanks!

sammis

I've only tried 2 different types

J&B and Chivas Regal 12 yr

Chivas Regal was the better of the two I thought. J&B seems more bitter.

Just opened a bottle of Glenkinchie 10 that my wife got me for my birthday.... good stuff. My first 'real' single malt.

Thread Information