Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scotch

Default Scotch

Well, after some great advice by Roham, I have decided to give Scotch a shot. Can somebody recommend me a bottle for around 50 dollars? I am thinking maybe some Glenfiddich 12 year, but is there anything else I could buy to get a better bang for my buck?
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

This seams like a question AVB. I like my JW Black Lable but I usually just drink Gentlemen Jack, so I'm not wwell versed in scotch.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

I'm a bourbon drinker. I've tried GlenFiddich 18 year single malt and I've tried Macallan 18 year single malt. I'm told by friends who drink scotch they are both very good. My scotch drinking friends say 12 year scotch still has too much of a bite. To enjoy it, go single malt and 18 year. Personally, I'm still a bourbon drinker.
    "Differences can be resolved in ways that are fair to all, but reason must prevail over passion if there is to be a climate conducive to the settlement of disagreements."
    Ronald Reagan in a speech given to the Supreme Soviet, September 17, 1990

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

I agree with Jon. I believe AVB knows more about Scotch than Jonnie Walker!!!

Personally, you can't go wrong with either The Glenlevit (my favourite) or Glenfiddich.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Dalwhinnie 15 yr old

Baron
    Remember to breathe

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy
    I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy
    I love poetry, and a glass of scotch, and, of course, my friend Baxter here.
    I also am interested in trying a good scotch, but $50 is a little high for me. Anyone recommend a cheaper bottle?

I like Tomatin 12yr. It's in the $22-$25 range. A pretty good value, IMHO. YMMV.

I am a scotch guy and I gotta tell ya it is about $15 or so more than you want to spend but johnnie walker gold lable is fantastic its an 18 year old scotch and smooth as hell. you can go green lable for a little cheeper and its good as well. most 12 year old scotch wiskeys,(ie johnnie black, chivas regal,etc) in my opinion are better suited to use in a mix drink do to them being quite a bit more harsh.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
    PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

Dalmore 12yr is tasty, around 25 bucks. I don't usually drink blends.

Scotch has a smoky bite in comparison to Bourbon, period. If you must have it though, and price is no concern, then Glenlivet or JW gold is your drink. IMHO cheap scotch isn't worth drinking straight. Bourbon, brandy, or dark rum is better, you can get a decent sipping spirit for a more reasonable price. For instance, Gentleman Jack is an excellent sipping whiskey for $25 bucks a bottle.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

11. Default

My favorite scotches:

Macallen 12 ($40).
    Glenmorangie Line 12yr ($40)
    Glenlivet 12yr (varies)

From the others advice, Dalwhinnie is good...can't go wrong with that. Personally I think there are much better scotches to be had than Glenfiddich (12 year at least, haven't tried the more aged ones). I would vote against getting that.
    Last edited by godfather; 12-06-2006 at 03:30 PM.

Cool. Thanks for all of the help guys
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

As far as Glenlivet goes I went out and bought a bottle of that and it was just plain nasty. Got to mix that stuff imho. I'm not much of a scotch drinker though. I have had Johnny gold though and that stuff is damn good, smooth as hell, you don't really even need water with it.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Laphroaig is a nice peaty, smoky scotch and, in fact due to a college "mishap" with scotch, one of the only ones I can drink. Glenfiddich isn't that great. Definately go single malt though rather than a blend.

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

For single malts the following I think are excellant :

Speyside Scotches:

The Belvenie
    Cragganmore

Highland scotches:

Dalmore
    Dalwhinnie

Islay Scotches:

Lagavulin
    Laphroaig ------------ My favorite to compliment a cigar

The above all get better with age as long as your pallete has aquired the taste. Early on you my find a 10yr old to be much more paletable then an 18 yr old. You my also find blended scotches much more to your liking in the early stages. I still like some blends sort of as the "everyday inexpensive but tasty" same way you have your inexpensive cigar. For that I would recommend:

Johnny Walker Black---- excellant blend for small money
    The Cigar Malt by Dalmore ---- another excellant blend for small money

But just like cigars its an aquired taste and everybody has there own favorites.

HTH
    Last edited by Quint; 12-08-2006 at 04:05 PM.
    A girl phoned me the other day and said ... Come on over, there's nobody home. I went over. Nobody was home.
    -- Rodney Dangerfield

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quint View Post
    For single malts the following I think are excellant :

Speyside Scotches:

The Belvenie
    Cragganmore

Highland scotches:

Dalmore
    Dalwhinnie

Islay Scotches:

Lagavulin
    Laphroaig ------------ My favorite to compliment a cigar

The above all get better with age as long as your pallete has aquired the taste. Early on you my find a 10yr old to be much more paletable then an 18 yr old. You my also find blended scotches much more to your liking in the early stages. I still like some blends sort of as the "everyday inexpensive but tasty" same way you have your inexpensive cigar. For that I would recommend:

Johnny Walker Black---- excellant blend for small money
    The Cigar Malt by Dalmore ---- another excellant blend for small money

But just like cigars its an aquired taste and everybody has there own favorites.

HTH

Mmmm Balvenie DoubleWood!
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

17. Default

I would also recommend Macallan 12. At $40-$50.00 it's not over the top smokey/peatie and is my go to scotch in this price range.

Glenmorangie makes several different single malts in the $50/$60 price range, at least by AZ prices. I like the Sherry Wood Finish and Port Wood Finish.

For a little less, Dalmore makes a decent 12 year old single malt for $25-$35. For something different you might enjoy their cigar malt especially with your favorite cigar.

For a little less than Johnny Walker Gold, try Oban 14.

Blog Entries

Ya REALLY oughta ask AVB over on CigarPass. I was never too much into the whole single malt scene but I became interested when I read some of his posts and reviews. He gave me some great recommendations for bottles to have on hand for entertaining. I got in on one of his scotch buys and my first bottle was Glenfiddich 21yo. I absolutely LOVE this stuff! I could not believe how much I liked it. So, I asked AVB for some other recommendations since I really liked the Glenfiddich 21yo (aka "Gran Reserva") so he said "Well, you've set the bar pretty high." I think a bottle of this goes for $120.00 or so now. I've bought a couple of other bottles, a Balblair 26yo and a Glen Elgin 12yo. I still like the Gran Reserva the best. I have since tried some Glenfiddich 12yo when I'm at a bar and it just does not compare to the Gran Reserva.

I'm very new to this whole world of single malts but I think I can safely say you'd like the Gran Reserva.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848 View Post
    Mmmm Balvenie DoubleWood!
    I'll second that!! This goes best with a medium-bodied full flavored smoke, a match made in heaven.

20. Default

try Taliskers or MaCallan Cask Strength. Both should be below $50 and both have a smoky taste

Tim

Thread Information