Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scotch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Scotch

Well, after some great advice by Roham, I have decided to give Scotch a shot. Can somebody recommend me a bottle for around 50 dollars? I am thinking maybe some Glenfiddich 12 year, but is there anything else I could buy to get a better bang for my buck?
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

This seams like a question AVB. I like my JW Black Lable but I usually just drink Gentlemen Jack, so I'm not wwell versed in scotch.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

I'm a bourbon drinker. I've tried GlenFiddich 18 year single malt and I've tried Macallan 18 year single malt. I'm told by friends who drink scotch they are both very good. My scotch drinking friends say 12 year scotch still has too much of a bite. To enjoy it, go single malt and 18 year. Personally, I'm still a bourbon drinker.
    "Differences can be resolved in ways that are fair to all, but reason must prevail over passion if there is to be a climate conducive to the settlement of disagreements."
    Ronald Reagan in a speech given to the Supreme Soviet, September 17, 1990

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

I agree with Jon. I believe AVB knows more about Scotch than Jonnie Walker!!!

Personally, you can't go wrong with either The Glenlevit (my favourite) or Glenfiddich.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Dalwhinnie 15 yr old

Baron
    Remember to breathe

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy
    I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgandy
    I love poetry, and a glass of scotch, and, of course, my friend Baxter here.
    I also am interested in trying a good scotch, but $50 is a little high for me. Anyone recommend a cheaper bottle?

7. Default

I would also recommend Macallan 12. At $40-$50.00 it's not over the top smokey/peatie and is my go to scotch in this price range.

Glenmorangie makes several different single malts in the $50/$60 price range, at least by AZ prices. I like the Sherry Wood Finish and Port Wood Finish.

For a little less, Dalmore makes a decent 12 year old single malt for $25-$35. For something different you might enjoy their cigar malt especially with your favorite cigar.

For a little less than Johnny Walker Gold, try Oban 14.

Blog Entries

Ya REALLY oughta ask AVB over on CigarPass. I was never too much into the whole single malt scene but I became interested when I read some of his posts and reviews. He gave me some great recommendations for bottles to have on hand for entertaining. I got in on one of his scotch buys and my first bottle was Glenfiddich 21yo. I absolutely LOVE this stuff! I could not believe how much I liked it. So, I asked AVB for some other recommendations since I really liked the Glenfiddich 21yo (aka "Gran Reserva") so he said "Well, you've set the bar pretty high." I think a bottle of this goes for $120.00 or so now. I've bought a couple of other bottles, a Balblair 26yo and a Glen Elgin 12yo. I still like the Gran Reserva the best. I have since tried some Glenfiddich 12yo when I'm at a bar and it just does not compare to the Gran Reserva.

I'm very new to this whole world of single malts but I think I can safely say you'd like the Gran Reserva.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

9. Default

try Taliskers or MaCallan Cask Strength. Both should be below $50 and both have a smoky taste

Tim

So drew, whats it going to be? So many to try!
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Not sure yet. I am going to be heading down to the wine market when I get home on the 7th and will let you know what I decide on.

I got a bottle of the Glen Livet 18 year old at Sams club for around 40.00 a month ago. It is almost gone.. Good stuff. I love it and just pour it over ice.

13. Default

For a first scotch I'd recommend any young Speyside or Highland if you're into light toast and white wine. Try a young Islay if you're into burnt toast and red wine. The latter is what got me hooked. Laphroaig 10 is a good one. If you're into the former, i'd say The Glenlivet 12.

Take a look at http://www.forpeatsake.com/ for ideas. It's a site i've been working on with user submitted scotch reviews and tasting notes.

Colin.

14. Default Drew Goring - Scotch

My good man, if your going to drink scotch...make it Chivas Regal. Make sure
    you have an excellent cigar to enjoy with it!

Quote Originally Posted by AshLvr View Post
    My good man, if your going to drink scotch...make it Chivas Regal. Make sure
    you have an excellent cigar to enjoy with it!
    I am actually more of a single malt guy myself. Particularly from the Islay region. Bowmore, Oban, etc.

I'm a single malt man myself.

Currently working on an 18 year Glenfiddich.

Looking for an Islay single malt for my next purchase. I've heard of Laphroaig and Lagavulin.

Any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks!

sammis

Quote Originally Posted by sammis View Post
    I'm a single malt man myself.

Currently working on an 18 year Glenfiddich.

Looking for an Islay single malt for my next purchase. I've heard of Laphroaig and Lagavulin.

Any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks!

sammis
    I think you'll find either to your liking though Laphroaig is less expensive (down this way anyway).

Currently my go to drinks are Lagavulin 1st and Talisker 2nd.
    "Science is a candle in the dark" - some science guy

MMmmm... scotch. Another love.

Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

Quote Originally Posted by rsanz View Post
    I think you'll find either to your liking though Laphroaig is less expensive (down this way anyway).

Currently my go to drinks are Lagavulin 1st and Talisker 2nd.
    Hi Rsanz

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got Green's Discount Warehouse here that has a pretty decent selection. I don't mind paying money for a good product

I'm still in the "let me try out a bunch of different whisky until I find the one I like" phase!

sammis

Blog Entries

Had some McClelland 18 in Vegas. It was very good. Think I may get into the scotch thing pretty soon since I don't already spend enough on cigars, beer, and bourbon.

Thread Information