Thread: The Herfers Guide to Cigars

Blog Entries

Default The Herfers Guide to Cigars

Ok, I started a project a little while ago and I'm slowly catching up on a lot of details. So, you'll probably see a lot of posts from me while I slowly build up this Herfer's Guide. My goal is to have a one stop shop with links for people to find a lot of information. We have vast amounts of info on this site an a few people have created a few helpers guides/tables to help out. I want to put all that info into one spot...so, time to continue my little project.

Herfers Guide to Cigars

1. Herfers Guide to Setting up a Humi

2. Herfers Cigar Reviews
    A. Cubans
    B. Domestic

3. Herfers Terminology Index
    4. Cigar Stores (Local B&M)

This will slowly grow as I star to build...links/pages/ect ect ect...

enjoy

Lopaka

Current Progress: 25 Feb 07
    Complete A-J in Domestic/Cuban Reviews 7 Jan
    Complete K-Z in Domestic/Cuban Reviews 25 Feb
    Last edited by Lopaka; 02-25-2007 at 03:42 AM.

Awfully nice of you to set up the reviews by brand. All of that searching and linking seems like it would be a pain in the ass. Great work so far. I am also sure your efforts will encourage some more reviews too.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Nice work!

Blog Entries

This will be extremely useful, and I agree that it may have the bonus effect of encouraging more reviews. Is there anything that reviewers can do when posting reviews that will make it easier for you to link them up?

Wonderful idea, thanks.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Somebody has WAY TOO much time on his hands........
    I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bkcloud114 View Post
    Somebody has WAY TOO much time on his hands........
    Nah, I'm just trying to pad my post count so you can't catch up.

Lopaka

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Is there anything that reviewers can do when posting reviews that will make it easier for you to link them up?
    Just send me an e-mail via the profile and I'll link it.

Default Thanks

Thank you, this is a great idea. I can't wait for your vocabulary link to go up. That is one of the things that I think will really help us newbies. As someone who received a humidor for Christmas, I am reading your tips on setting one up. Thanks again

Blog Entries

I've completed A-J so far for linking. If you notice anything that I have missed or there are some new reviews that I haven't linked, please e-mail me via the profile. I don't want to exclude anyones review...

well except ing Tonydogs.

Thanks.
    Lopaka

bump
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Blog Entries

Don't worry I haven't forgotten about this. With moving and testing I was waiting until I got a few free moments to complete this.

Blog Entries

A-Z Cigar reveiws are updated

A-J are still the latest as of 7 Jan 07. If you posted a review after then, it's probably not in the list. I'll be going back soon and adding all the new reviews. K-Z should have the latests reviews in it. More to come to this guide.

Lopaka

Nice Work so far.

Hex can you sticky this? I think its a great tool for anyone and I bumped it primarily because it was 3 or 4 pages back.

Default Auto post review patch

It should be fairly easy to patch the BB code base to add a drop down in the new post screen so the user can select what cigar they are reviewing when posting in the Review section. This could then create an auto link in a single thread. The logic around whether a review already existed or was new would be the hardest part.

Let me know if you feel this is worthwhile and I will pull up the source.

Thanks,
    -Chad

this is a great thread. maybe sticky in the newb section hopefully coming soon.

I hope you finish this job to completion, sure will be a lot of people to benefit from your hardwork.

Just to throw my two cents in, I don't think this thread should be stickied until The Guide is complete. It's quite a task and will take a large amount of effort that will most likely be set aside and worked on periodically, like the old beat up porshe that's been in the backyard for the past 15 years.

Thread Information