Thread: 1 Year Today!

Default 1 Year Today!

I joined CS. Thanks for a year of great advice and Camraderie fellow BOTLs/SOTLs!!

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

Thumbs up

Congrats brother!!!!!
    "No one can tell me what is a good cigar -- for me. I am the only judge. There are no standards -- no real standards. Each man's preference is the only standard for him, the only one which he can accept, the only one which can command him."
    ~ Mark Twain

Blog Entries

that's one more year without one of these ...

Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Congratulations, always good to see a great member join and stay with us!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    that's one more year without one of these ...

Congrats on your anniversary!!

Thats an ugly boat, so I hope you never have one.....must be Russian as the missile deck is forward of the con.....US, and I believe British, boats have the missile deck aft of the con. Nobody wants a Russian sub....not even the Russians. They are referred to as targets since you can hear them a long way away. We never had much trouble hiding from them.

Congrats. Now smoke a good one.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Default Congrats Man

Congratulations Man Smoke something good Preferably a Sopranos Boss
    GO AHEAD PUNK MAKE MY DAY

Way to go man!!
    In spite of all evidence to the contrary, the entire universe is composed of only two basic substances: Magic and bullshit.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post

Thats an ugly boat, so I hope you never have one.....must be Russian as the missile deck is forward of the con.....US, and I believe British, boats have the missile deck aft of the con. Nobody wants a Russian sub....not even the Russians. They are referred to as targets since you can hear them a long way away. We never had much trouble hiding from them.
    It's a Russian Typhoon Class sub and it's the largest sub in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Nobody wants a Russian sub....not even the Russians. They are referred to as targets since you can hear them a long way away. We never had much trouble hiding from them.
    Thats no longer true, in the late 80's early 90's Mitsubishi sold the Russians welding technology that allowed them to become as stealthy at the NATO subs. Mitsubishi made a few million off the deal and was fined almos the same amount. The US spend around 120 million developing technology to counter the newly silent Russian subs.

It made a huge splash in welding engineering circles.

Thanks guys,

Its the great advice and crowd, as well as the fun that kept me here in the first place. I'm not sure about this chefchris guy though!

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

Congrats and hope to see you here for many more years to come

Quote Originally Posted by jiaguy View Post
    Thats no longer true, in the late 80's early 90's Mitsubishi sold the Russians welding technology that allowed them to become as stealthy at the NATO subs. Mitsubishi made a few million off the deal and was fined almos the same amount. The US spend around 120 million developing technology to counter the newly silent Russian subs.

It made a huge splash in welding engineering circles.
    Where are you getting your information from?
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka View Post
    Where are you getting your information from?
    yep, I would like to know as well. I wasn't a ping jockey, but I know that the main sources of detection of the Russians was power plant noise (steam through pipes, cooling structures for reactors, etc.) and cavitation caused by their propellers. I was on a boomer so we never, or very rarely, ever went active on the sonar and we avoided them easily by just listening.

And yeah, the Typhoon is the largest sub on earth....but you have to admit its still pretty ugly.

*** Apology to MONK for hi-jacking this thread***

Congrats on your anniversary!

Congrats Monk - it's been great to know you on the board.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

[QUOTE=ashauler;76329]yep, I would like to know as well. I wasn't a ping jockey, but I know that the main sources of detection of the Russians was power plant noise (steam through pipes, cooling structures for reactors, etc.) and cavitation caused by their propellers. I was on a boomer so we never, or very rarely, ever went active on the sonar and we avoided them easily by just listening.
    [QUOTE]

From my materials prof named Fillisko, he'd give more tangents than lectures in class. I think this one was over vaccum welding equipment that allowed for smoother surfaces? I guess you can associate that with propeller cavitation... but you would have to think that it would be their newer generation of subs equipped with stuff learned inthe the early 90's.

If I recall, a cavitation vaccum needs surface defects to germinate and if you smooth out the surfaces in the sub-microscopic level you might be able to significantly reduce their formation.
    Last edited by jiaguy; 01-21-2007 at 01:51 AM. Reason: xtra thoughts

Thread Information