Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tequila!

1. Default

Anybody know anything about El Compadre? Was gifted a bottle.
    "No one can tell me what is a good cigar -- for me. I am the only judge. There are no standards -- no real standards. Each man's preference is the only standard for him, the only one which he can accept, the only one which can command him."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Two of my favorites, at this point...

Casa Noble Anejo
    Don Julio 1942 (This is actually a GREAT price for this)

I love Anejo Tequila's. Nothing better than sipping a fine anejo tequila neat and smoking a cigar. I love to get it in a snifter glass and enjoy the aroma.

Monk - if you can find it, try the Cuervo Reserva de la Familia. It will change your opinion of Cuervo. I'm so-so on reposado, but I even like the Cuervo Tradicional neat.

As far as "mixable" tequila's (i.e. margarita's) - anything that costs less than $15 a bottle is good tequila for margarita's...

ggiese: I'm actually sure you are right, the Cuervo Reserva de la Familia was their first 100% Blue Agave Tequila rather than their usual 51% mixto shit. The Tradicional is their other 100% blue agave so those two I might give a chance

Yeah for mixing it isn't so important. In fact, I'd be loathe to ruin a good sipping tequila with a mix!

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

Good article, although I think there are some innacuracies. Good quality Mezcal NEVER comes with a worm. And the comment about the worm enhancing the flavour is BS. No one really knows the reason but it is widely believed that the reason for the worm was to show the strength of the alcohol. If it pickled the worm and kept it from breaking apart then the mezcal was strong enough and not watered down. Mezcal really gets the short end of the stick often and a good Mezcal is just as enjoyable as a good tequila.

-W.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    Tequila Reserva 1800 Anejo

This is not to be confused with the similar bottled douchewatwer made by Cuervo.

420 you have been warned more than enough. You be on my "list" now.
    I've had that a few times before when the Cazadores was all done in my friends bar. Also a nice tequila. If I recall I found it a bit "stronger" tasting in terms of alcohol although I am sure they were the same percentage.

-W.

Wow.... a thread abou Tequila and Guado didn't mention Montezuma or Matador.
    Seatbelts save lives, my best friend and I are alive because of them.

Nobody is ever gone as long as there is someone to remember them.

6. Default

Was at Adobo Grill Monday and had two Margaritas, one with Casa Noble Reposado and the other with Tezon Reposado. Both were excellent; I liked the Tezon a little more.
    Unfortunately, they stopped stocking 1921.
    Fortunately, I have a bottle of 1921 at home.

Brenham, TX.....home of BlueBell Ice Cream!

Milagro gold........ and Milagro is good too......

Last edited by dHUTCH; 02-14-2007 at 11:24 PM.

all of the patron varieties are really good, the Silver being my favorite, but I enjoy them all.

recently on a trip to tijuana I bought a liter of Cazadores reposado tequila, damn its good, especially for the price i paid. gonna have to check for it at the local liquor stores

It came with what appears to be a giant shotglass, about 3 or 4 times the size of a normal one, but similar proportions, with a really thick base. anyone know what this is for?
    -=JStrider=-
    ~a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. -- Rudyard Kipling

~Clatto Verata Nicto

Quote Originally Posted by JStrider View Post
    It came with what appears to be a giant shotglass, about 3 or 4 times the size of a normal one, but similar proportions, with a really thick base. anyone know what this is for?
    Sounds like it's good for getting destroyed.

Brenham, TX.....home of BlueBell Ice Cream!

Quote Originally Posted by mills View Post
    Sounds like it's good for getting destroyed.

That is true..................actually with finer Tequilas you're supposed to sip/drink them. Your high end stuff wasnt meant for shooting/taking shots. You're supposed to enjoy a nice tequila, if it is in fact a nice tequila.

Quote Originally Posted by JStrider View Post
    all of the patron varieties are really good, the Silver being my favorite, but I enjoy them all.

recently on a trip to tijuana I bought a liter of Cazadores reposado tequila, damn its good, especially for the price i paid. gonna have to check for it at the local liquor stores

That's the one I love. Wish we could get it in Toronto... but I am off to Mexico, DF Sunday so I should get some there! hooorah.

Cazadores is a sipping tequila so I would guess (since I haven't seen the glass) that it should be treated more like a tumbler for whisky but for the tequila.

-W.

john51277 Guest

My all time Favorite Tequila is Cabo Wabo Reposado, with a close second with Sauza Tres Generationes!! Yumm Tequila is my favorite on the rocks drink or shot choice.

What other shot can you do a propper "body shot with?"

Two of my favorites, at this point...

Casa Noble Anejo
    Don Julio 1942 (This is actually a GREAT price for this)

I love Anejo Tequila's. Nothing better than sipping a fine anejo tequila neat and smoking a cigar. I love to get it in a snifter glass and enjoy the aroma.

Monk - if you can find it, try the Cuervo Reserva de la Familia. It will change your opinion of Cuervo. I'm so-so on reposado, but I even like the Cuervo Tradicional neat.

As far as "mixable" tequila's (i.e. margarita's) - anything that costs less than $15 a bottle is good tequila for margarita's...
    don julio anejo the best i've had. not a big tequila fan, but i enjoy don julio. i need to try 1942.

14. Default

My favorites:
    Don Julio 1942--I bought a bottle back from Puerta Vallarta's La Casa Del Tequila before it was even available in the USA. On my third bottle now.
    1921--can be hard to find, but worth it
    Tezon
    Casa Noble
    Last two are recent additions that I tried at Adobo Grill on Wells St in Chicago

15. Default Compadre Tequila

Quote Originally Posted by Dickson View Post
    Anybody know anything about El Compadre? Was gifted a bottle.

Though technically not a "Tequila Proper" the El Compadre I know of hails from Oaxaca, Mexico. I have a case of it sitting right here in my bar/restaurant in Lake Atitlan, Guatemala. Since it's from Oaxaca and not from Jalisco, Mexico it can't be called a "Tequila," and is referred as a "100% Agave" instead. It's the same stuff, but different. Really great value and fantastic regardless of nomenclature. We buy it from an importer located in Antigua, Guatemala who owns a restaurant called Cafe No Se. Check out www.ilegalmezcal.com. These are the same people and be sure to check out their mezcal, too!!!

Thread Information