Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Punching or cutting?

Default Punching or cutting?

When do you do what?

I have experimented with punching and v-cutting. I found that I prefer a straight cut. Better smoke flow and less tasteable residue build-up.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

So it's basically a personal preference?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kass View Post
    So it's basically a personal preference?
    Yes

There are no set ways to smoke,if you want to light your cigar with a burning rabbit then thats your preference :)
    The older I get ,the better I was

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    Yes

There are no set ways to smoke,if you want to light your cigar with a burning rabbit then thats your preference :)

I tried that once. Didn't work out so good.

I tend to punch more often, primarily because Its smaller then my double bladed guillatine and easier to carry around to the bars.

and I dont need to worry about cutting off my finger when I stick my hand in my pocket :p
    Last edited by JStrider; 02-01-2007 at 09:20 PM.
    -=JStrider=-
    ~a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. -- Rudyard Kipling

~Clatto Verata Nicto

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    I tried that once. Didn't work out so good.
    it helps if you make sure the rabbits really dry

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tonyrocks922 View Post
    it helps if you make sure the rabbits really dry
    Yeah, give it about a day or so for the blood to dry, then leave it in a sunny spot for about 8 hours. That works best for me.

I'm sure my roomate wouldn't mind if I "borrowed" her rabbit for a while.

ah young grass-hoppah - i asked same the same question many moons ago. only commentary on it is that 1) you can try to punch a torpedo (good luck with that) and 2) punch cuts have more chances of tar (happened to me once).
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Anyone have a burning rabbit to trade? I have a very clean cat that has a phobia of water sprinklers and dishwashers.

i own a punch, v cutter, double guil, single guil

in large ring cigars, i use one of the guil's, i carry the single with me when i i go out, the double stays at home because its worth too much to me

the punch is used for small ringed cigars, and i use the v cutter for cigarillios that need to be cut(such as havana honeys)

the vcut is easy, but doesnt give me enough draw imo, which is why i only use it on small ringed cigars

Blog Entries

I haven't used my punch cutter for months........I just can't find a reason to use it instead of the double guillotine.

So far I have been given 3 free cheap single bladed cutters from my regular cigar supplier but they only last 4 or 5 cigars each. I am however managing to improve my cut each time, my last robusto was a terrific cut, I was well impressed. However I have gotten much better results using a scalpel blade

I was tempted into getting a posh cutter but heard that it can compact the filler in the end making the draw harder. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbawubba View Post
    So far I have been given 3 free cheap single bladed cutters from my regular cigar supplier but they only last 4 or 5 cigars each. I am however managing to improve my cut each time, my last robusto was a terrific cut, I was well impressed. However I have gotten much better results using a scalpel blade

I was tempted into getting a posh cutter but heard that it can compact the filler in the end making the draw harder. Is this true?
    Just a suggestion... try putting the cutter horizontally on a flat surface and cutting the cigar while holding it vertically with the tip against the surface. Gives a pretty good cut and you get a good idea of how much of the cap should be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbawubba View Post

With a decent double guillotine like a Xicar it should be fine. I usually give the cigar a draw before lighting up after cutting to clean the pipes so to speak. You should be able to get a decent double cutter for not too much, even in the midlands

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

Yes

maphic Guest

With a decent double guillotine like a Xicar it should be fine. I usually give the cigar a draw before lighting up after cutting to clean the pipes so to speak. You should be able to get a decent double cutter for not too much, even in the midlands
    -maph

Blog Entries

Punch almost all of the time except on the rare occasions I smoke a pointy ended cigar and then I use a cheap guillotine.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by maphic View Post
    -maph
    NOW you are just being straight up annoying. Why did you copy Monk's post and make it out to be your own?
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Thread Information