Thread: Can't get my humidor up to the right humidity

Default Can't get my humidor up to the right humidity

I can't figure out what's wrong. I got a new humidor, I seasoned it following the guide Lopaka put out, except I used a test bag for the hygrometer that came with the purchase, and I didn't have a sponge so I used a clean paper towel and left a small cup with distilled water in the humi. The hygrometer tested at exactly 75%. I'm using the 70% puck-100 from cigarmony.com and I folled the instructions to activate it. But after I put in my cigars and let them sit for 2 days the hygrometer said the humidity was only 62%, I decided to make some room and put the cup with distilled water back in it, but after another day the humidity is only 64%.
    Do I need to do anything else or should I just wait it out and see if the humidity will come up?
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

bigpoppapuff Guest

62-65 is perfect,imho..

the sticks are probly soaking up a decent amount of your humidity, the puck will be reliable just make sure the beads don't go white on ya, it should go back to normal in a few days, just gotta give it time to regulate

So a couple thoughts:

1. unless you're wiping the humidor down with the distilled water (not recommended) - it can take more than a couple days for the humi to absorb the water into the wood (winter - evaporation - cold). So I'd leave the thing of distilled water in the humi for 5 days or so.

2. the wood sucks the humidity out of the cigar, so there's an adjustment on that end. some folks say that your humi isn't ever really seasoned until it's 3/4 full of sticks for a while and then keeps your desired rh.

3. 62% isn't a bad thing... I keep my sticks around 65%.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Ok, thanks guys.
    I just wanted to make sure that something weird wasn't going on.
    I'll just let it sit for a few more days and see if it evens out.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

I am going through the same thing now. I took my smokes out and started over. I dropped drastically. went down to 57% and cant figure out why. I have 2 digitals in there now with some distilled water and am waiting to see it come up some. I do have about 3-4% difference between the 2 digitals but it is still low. I have the Boveda the beads the gel
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

At the risk of repeating myself: try patience, works the charm generally.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

8. Default

lower temperatures can give false rH readings, I believe.

I wouldn't worry about it. If there is moisture in the oasis then don't force it. The worse thing you could do right now is introduce so much excess water that the tobacco swells up and cracks the wrapper (usually at the foot). Even 3 or 4 weeks at a lower humidity isn't that big of a deal.

Like Sid said, lower humidity is better for smoking for many.

I'm going through the same thing with my new humidor right now, its reading in the mid to upper 50s, just been wiping some spare pieces of Spanish cedar with distilled water and putting them in it. trying to speed up the process without spiking the humidity too much.
    With the box I just got its got to be about 80% full
    -=JStrider=-
    ~a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. -- Rudyard Kipling

~Clatto Verata Nicto

I got mine up to about 62-64% humidity, then I took out the cups of distilled water and I am letting the beads slowly get them up to the correct humidity, but neither has gotten over 65% so I'm starting to think that my beads where mislabeled at 70% when they are actually 65% which is what I wanted anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyDan View Post
    I got mine up to about 62-64% humidity, then I took out the cups of distilled water and I am letting the beads slowly get them up to the correct humidity, but neither has gotten over 65% so I'm starting to think that my beads where mislabeled at 70% when they are actually 65% which is what I wanted anyways.
    I was in the same boat as you are. i purchased the same beads for a 100ct and they could not keep my humidity at my desired humidity. I like 68-72%, and my sponge can hold 70-72 perfectly, but my beads that are supposed to be 70% are more like 65% or less.

hmmmm... I'm still having humidity problems.... just hovers around 55-58

my beads were charged up when I got the new humidor, and I have 2 shot glasses of water in there as well.

I've had the humidor a couple weeks. I tried putting some textbooks ontop of my humidor, but they didnt seem to help at all.

could it be a problem that my bead container is at the bottom of my humidor and the hygrometer is in the tray?

in my tupperdor they were both at the same level... and my humidity was very stable around 63-65
    -=JStrider=-

~Clatto Verata Nicto

Quote Originally Posted by JStrider View Post
    hmmmm... I'm still having humidity problems.... just hovers around 55-58

my beads were charged up when I got the new humidor, and I have 2 shot glasses of water in there as well.

I've had the humidor a couple weeks. I tried putting some textbooks ontop of my humidor, but they didnt seem to help at all.

could it be a problem that my bead container is at the bottom of my humidor and the hygrometer is in the tray?

in my tupperdor they were both at the same level... and my humidity was very stable around 63-65
    are you using the same hygrometer that you used in the tupperdor? have you given it the salt test? i would trust the beads over the hygrometer.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

it is the same hygrometer I used in the tupperdor. I salt tested it when I first got it and again when I got the humidor, and it tested 1% low. so its not that.
    -=JStrider=-

~Clatto Verata Nicto

it is the same hygrometer I used in the tupperdor. I salt tested it when I first got it and again when I got the humidor, and it tested 1% low. so its not that.

Is it a digital? Might not be a bad idea to salt test it again. Some hygrometers read low when the batteries get weak.

How is the seal of the humi? When you drop the lid down does it slam? Try the dollar bill test.

Where is the humi from if you don't mind me asking? I got a humi from ebay before that had a non-existent seal.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

It is digital... and I have had it for a couple years. I'll salt test it again/ or get new batteries

When I let the lid fall closed it makes an airy whoomp sound, but when I try the dollar bill test it does pull out, but there is some resistance, but not enough to make me feel like I am going to rip the bill.

I got the humidor at cuban crafters, it is one of their budget models...
    heres a link http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/260

I'll put the hygrometer that came with it in there and see what it says... its plastic and feels really cheap but after adjusting it was testing pretty accurately.
    -=JStrider=-

~Clatto Verata Nicto

It is digital... and I have had it for a couple years. I'll salt test it again/ or get new batteries

When I let the lid fall closed it makes an airy whoomp sound, but when I try the dollar bill test it does pull out, but there is some resistance, but not enough to make me feel like I am going to rip the bill.

I got the humidor at cuban crafters, it is one of their budget models...
    heres a link http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/260

I'll put the hygrometer that came with it in there and see what it says... its plastic and feels really cheap but after adjusting it was testing pretty accurately.
    Ok...yeah, Cubancrafters sells some good humis.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

yah, thats what I had heard...

it is pretty dry here... like 10% humidity today... but I try not to open it too often.. maybe once or twice a week.

is it possible that it could be drying out through the wood? I could put it in a trash bag.
    -=JStrider=-

~Clatto Verata Nicto

i've got that same humi j and it does seem to store sticks at a lower RH than my cooler... usually at about 61% when my cooler is 66, i'm not sure why it does that but i prefer my smokes at a lower RH anyway so i don't mind it much

on a side note i would describe the seal on mine as the same as yours... not much resistance on the dollar bill test

I've got basically that same humi, though I got mine at CheapHumidors.com ( http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchan...ode=MDHUMIDORS )
    Mine isn't going over 60%, normally varying between 58-60%, I've got 70% beads in mine that are charged correctly. I think it has more to do with the outside humidity, since my other humi is only readin at 61% with 70% beads in it.

Or maybe I'm just an idiot noob that hasn't set mine up right somehow. :)

Thread Information