Thread: First post, but probably an old question

1. Default First post, but probably an old question

This is my first post here (Hello!), so excuse the newbie question. I seem to have little problem finding more expenisve cigars that I like. The problem seems to come in when trying to find an "everyday" type of cigar in the less expensive bracket. I have read a lot of reviews on Top25Cigar.com, bought a fair number of the cigars, and found that my tastes must run counter to the norm. For example, a number of the reviewers rated the Davidoff Grand Cru #1 as being "bold" in taste. I found it to be light to my own tastes.

My size preferences tend towards the Lonsdale size.......40-44 being a great ring size for me, and 5-6.5 inches being a great length. My preferences in the mid-range priced cigars are the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Classic and the Ashton VSG Illusion (just found a box of these). I wish that I understood cigar vocabulary well enough to describe why I like these two cigars, but they just "taste right" to me. However, I can't financially consider either one of these to be an "everyday" (maybe two in a day) smole. I'd love to find a couple of cigars in the $5 range that I can enjoy smoking without feeling like I'm robbing my future retirement. I do realize that tastes may differ but, hopefully, there will be some suggestions that will lead me to my goal!

If I was an everyday smoker, I would probably load up on JL Piedras. They are great buck or 2 a piece smokes...and get even better with age. Although if you live in the US that is not an option for you.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

3. Default

Welcome to CS. Top25Cigar is a bunck of fucking idiots that

are part of club stogie and dont know a fucking thing about cigars . Try the Joya De Nicaragua Antano line,Gran Habanos #3 and #5,Sancho Panza extra fuerte
    The older I get ,the better I was

bigpoppapuff Guest

i'd say..... joya de nicaragua celebracion
    fonseca sun grown cedar

two very tasty cigars...nicely priced...

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum!

I think the Sancho Panza Extra Fuerte that kevin mentioned are terrific and they have that sharp bold bite to them. You might even try a Padron 2000, it's a little lighter than the SPEF, but it is very tasty and pretty inexpensive. Lastly, although I haven't had one in a while, from what I hear and what you are saying, you might like a 5 Vegas Series 'A'.

On a sad note, I am sure you would have loved the Oliva O Bold Omni, which is very high on my list of cigars to love, but is no longer in production. It was 6 x 46, so it approaches the lonsdale size. I don't think anyone has any left, but you might find a 5-pack somewhere.
    puro pot pass VI loser

Welcome from Maryland

7. Default

Thanks for the welcome, guys! I'll begin looking at the suggestions this week and try them out.

welcome to the boards, from iowa

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    If I was an everyday smoker, I would probably load up on JL Piedras. They are great buck or 2 a piece smokes...and get even better with age. Although if you live in the US that is not an option for you.
    Hi Drew,

I know I haven't exactly been the best behaved noob on the board (nor the worst!), but how would you say these compare to some similar prices US sourced smokes?

I just placed my 1st order at P Ex for some Montes to see if they come through without attracting NZ customs attention (they're not illegal here, just taxed to buggery). If it works I might grab a box of these with my next order. But I can't find the JL Piedra brand locally to try some out and don't particulally want to blind buy a whole box of ISOM dog rockets.

Cheers in advance
    Rich
    "Science is a candle in the dark" - some science guy

MMmmm... scotch. Another love.

I would second the sugestion of the JL Piedras, nice full smoke at a low price. Not much fuss to them but great for an every day.

So far my favourite budget US smoke is the Sanch Panza Dbl Maduro line, tasty and cheap.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

bigsmoke Guest

Yes, I would second trying the Joya De Nicaragua cigars. As stated by others, there are two lines. I forget which is which, but basically the darker cigar is a little stronger. That is the one I prefer. Try them out in a robusto size, that is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by rsanz View Post
    Hi Drew,

I know I haven't exactly been the best behaved noob on the board (nor the worst!), but how would you say these compare to some similar prices US sourced smokes?

I just placed my 1st order at P Ex for some Montes to see if they come through without attracting NZ customs attention (they're not illegal here, just taxed to buggery). If it works I might grab a box of these with my next order. But I can't find the JL Piedra brand locally to try some out and don't particulally want to blind buy a whole box of ISOM dog rockets.

Cheers in advance
    Rich
    I would say for the price, they can't be beat. (IMO). Although granted I have very little experience in 1-2$ non-cooban sticks.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Drew and stjohnroe for the JLP advice. I'll add a box to my next order.

So that I'm not totally guilty of hijacking the thread here's some sort of answer to the original post:

For a pretty strong cheap 'domestic' (domestic for some but not for me) I have enjoyed the cigar.com red label (http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=278).

Also there are these which have been recommended here quite a few times but I think it all started with chefchris (http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/s...fm/inum/17243). Thanks for putting me onto these.

Additionally, for a mild smoke to start friends on this hobby I have had good results with the cigar.com purple labels. In fact I've ordered a couple of boxes for friends after they've tried 'em.

Cheers
    Rich
    Last edited by rsanz; 02-26-2007 at 01:18 PM. Reason: 'highjacking'
    "Science is a candle in the dark" - some science guy

MMmmm... scotch. Another love.

Thread Information