Thread: Cigar Prohibition

Default Cigar Prohibition

I just got Cigar.com newsletter and found this article. I thought some people might like to read, well here it is:

January 23rd, the mayor of Philadelphia signed into law an ordinance which in effect imposes an almost absolute ban on cigar sales in the city, effective immediately – although there is no indication when it will begin to be enforced. The measure will be challenged in court by the Cigar Association of America, a group of manufacturers and retailers and the Pennsylvania Distributors Association.

Defined as "drug paraphernalia", sales of the following products are banned: cigars sold singly, flavored cigars known as "blunts", unflavored "blunts", flavored and unflavored blunt wraps, cigarette rolling papers, cigarillos, and tiparillos. The ordinance does not define "blunt", which is a long-recognized shape of cigar.

While the stated purpose of this ordinance is to combat drug use in the city and curb the sale of tobacco products to minors, the ordinance does the following:

• Bans the sale of "flavored" cigars by any establishment anywhere in the city, even though it never defines the term "flavored".

• Bans the sale of cigars within 500 feet of any "school, recreation center, day care center, church or community center". This in essence bans cigar sales in more than 75% of specialty tobacco stores in the city and eliminates cigar sales in almost 75% of the general retail stores that are permitted to sell cigars

• Bans the sale of single cigars by any retail business except that hotels, certain restaurants and specialty tobacco shops are allowed to sell individual cigars in "small quantities" – a term which is not defined.

Clearly the ordinance is unlawful on several grounds, including pre-emption by multiple state laws for it conflicts with the Pennsylvania Drug Paraphernalia Act, and is expressly prohibited by state laws regarding the sale of tobacco products to minors. At this time, the lawsuit and a motion for preliminary injunction is expected to be filed early next week. In the meantime, we understand that the Wawa chain had already pulled product from their shelves in anticipation of the mayor signing the ordinance.

As days pass, more and more individuals are being stripped of their freedom to enjoy a fine cigar. Additionally, more establishments are being stripped of their right to cater us as cigar enthusiasts. These movements are an unconstitutional infringement on our rights as American citizens. The progression toward a smoke-free country has now hit close to home for Pennsylvania residents, an idea that will soon become a reality, unless we act together and stand up for our rights. To be in a situation where a tyrannical government arbitrarily decides to shut down a legal class of business just because it wants to, is akin to banning Louisville Sluggers because they are capable of killing someone. Our forefathers dumped tea into Boston Harbor for less. I urge you to contact your elected officials today.

That blows. The problem is that I see more and more smoking bans going up. One just came to Grand Rapids here, prohibiting smoking in public places, bars, outside within 100 feet of doors, etc... The only place to smoke now is at home or at the lounge of the local B&M. But that does not go into effect until the end of 2008. So the question is, what do we do to fight this?

Quote Originally Posted by AK & Stogie View Post
    That blows. The problem is that I see more and more smoking bans going up. One just came to Grand Rapids here, prohibiting smoking in public places, bars, outside within 100 feet of doors, etc... The only place to smoke now is at home or at the lounge of the local B&M. But that does not go into effect until the end of 2008. So the question is, what do we do to fight this?

I have two ideas.

One, start a petition for smokers. On the petition, state that the undersigned, as of a certain date, will stop eating out or going to bars where they cannot smoke for 90 days. Then send a copy to every restaraunt and bar in the town. Send a copy to every person on city council and the mayor. And send a copy to every newspaper and TV station in town. The economic pressure may get some attention to the fact there are people out there who are tired of nanny state bullshit.

If that fails, organize smoke-ins at places where smoking is not allowed You may get arrested but you will also gather attention to the issue and maybe can impact the sentiment of others who see there are people tired of getting trampled on by government intrusion into their lives.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

I am surprised smoking isn't banned in AA and we tend to be the most ultra-liberal town in the midwest.
    Jia Li
    1345 Washtenaw Ave
    Ann Arbor, MI

bigsmoke Guest

It is already banned up here in Canada. A sad state of affairs.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsmoke View Post
    It is already banned up here in Canada. A sad state of affairs.
    Is it really banned in Canada or the part you are in...I am a former Ontario resident and would be pretty bummed to hear its banned.
    Jia Li
    1345 Washtenaw Ave
    Ann Arbor, MI

bigsmoke Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jiaguy View Post
    Is it really banned in Canada or the part you are in...I am a former Ontario resident and would be pretty bummed to hear its banned.
    Yeah, Brirtish Columbia has some of the toughest laws in Canada and they are tightening them up again. But Ontario is following suit now as well. It is only a matter of time before there are no public places to smoke. With all the lawsuits and crap like that. Everyone is just protecting their own ass.

Thread Information