Thread: Belgian style ale (home brew)

Default Belgian style ale (home brew)

Well, the stuff I let sit for a little over a year was MUCH better with the aging. It was nearly undrinkable when it was young. The biggest problem is that the hopping was off. I let the local store make some substituttions because their selection was minimal. The hops they gave me were nowhere near what the beer should have had. I have some Saaz for the next run. At any rate, the warm ferment and high alcohol content of this beer style apparently means it needs to be aged a bit before drinking.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

I would imagine Trappist Ales are the most difficult to homebrew, especially without an aging cave.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

I love saaz - one of my fav. hops. I brewed a double about 2 years ago, it took 3 months to get in the bottle and another 9 in them. From there, about 3 weeks to vanish.

Cultured the yeast from a bottle of chimay.

Old ales, strong ales and the like need a fair amount of time.

My cyser is now a few years old and tasting great.

After 2 years my strawberry mead finally finished fermenting and cleared.

I thought it was done but I was wrong. Looks like red water now. Clear as crystal.

Thread Information