Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Louisiana Asian's 100th post contest

Default The Louisiana Asian's 100th post contest

So here is the deal, following there are 10 questions dealing with Louisiana and LSU. Since I rather enjoy the culture and history of Louisiana and LSU, and wish to share some with you, I decided to have this contest. The FIRST PERSON who answers all 10 questions correctly wins.
    The prize will be 5 sticks from my humble stash, because I aim to please once the winner is announced, s/he will be give a list of the sticks to pick from. If the winner answers all 10 questions correctly on his or her first try, I will include a bonus of any stick I can find at my local B&M (borrowing this idea from ReV, I hope you don't mind). The prize will go out Monday or Tuesday of next week.
    The contest is very exclusive, only people who can read this are allowed to play.
    Once a person post the first set of answers, I'll post how many are correct (not which ones are correct) and will add/edit as other sets come in.

So without further delay here it is:

1-What former Louisiana Governor had a secret underground tunnel between the Governor's Mansion and the King Hotel to "conduct business" without being seen?

2-Who is the only LSU football player to when the Heisman AND what illegal activity was he accused of doing after his years at LSU?

3-Who were the Chinese Bandits?

4-Before "Mike", what sas the name of LSU's live mascot tiger?

5-What is the history behind LSU's school colors of purple and gold?

6-What other Louisiana school is involved with question 5

7-What Louisiana plantation is supposedly haunted by ghost according to overnight (<hint) visitors to this very day?

8-What is an interesting medical fact about Carville, LA (yes home of James Carville)?

9-What is the name of the worlds largest bridge over water?

10-What is an interesting communication fact of the Battle of New Orleans?

Good Luck
    Last edited by The Korean; 04-05-2007 at 04:17 PM.

Default The Official Contest Scoreboard

1. Rev=10
    2.Boomshay=8

This won't last long
    Last edited by The Korean; 04-05-2007 at 06:47 PM.

1. Huey Long
    2. Billy Cannon -- counterfeiting
    3. Defense set up by Paul Dietzel based on speed rather than size
    4. Sheik
    5. Originally blue and white, were changed when decorations were needed for a game and since the game in question was taking place around Mardi Gras, purple gold and green streamers were all over, the store they went to was out of green, so purple and gold became the colors.
    6.Tulane University
    7.Myrtles Plantation
    8. Home of National Hansen's Disease Museum, which use to treat leprosy
    9. Lake Pontchartrain causeway
    10. " lack of communication meant that neither side knew that peace had in fact been signed two weeks before the battle"
    Last edited by ReV; 04-05-2007 at 04:47 PM.

too easy... did i miss any? ... i'm still confused on how you're picking a winner...

1. ross sterling
    2. billy cannon - counterfeiting
    3. unique defensive scheme of the LSU football team
    4. they are currently on tiger V... so the ones before him were Mike I, II, III, IV..... Sheik was before any of the mikes
    5. something to do with decorations before a game, green streamers were out so purple and gold took it
    6. tulane
    7. Myrtles
    8. museaum that used to treat leprosy
    9.Akashi Kaikyo Bridge
    10. " lack of communication meant that neither side knew that peace had in fact been signed two weeks before the battle"

john51277 Guest

I guess I was a lil slow on that one, DAMN!!!

boom, never read all the kings men? ... but what does that 9 mean... first person to get all 10 wins? should i guess again and change answeres? whats the deal, i'm still confused.
    Last edited by ReV; 04-05-2007 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReV View Post
    boom, never read all the kings men? ... but what does that 9 mean... first person to get all 10 wins? should i guess again and change answeres? whats the deal, i'm still confused.
    9 means number of answers correct. guess again. First one with them all right wins

1. Huey Long
    2. Billy Cannon -- counterfeiting
    3. LSU football Defense set up by Paul Dietzel based on speed rather than size
    4. Sheik
    5. "It is believed that those colors were worn for the first time by an LSU team in the spring of 1893 when the LSU baseball squad beat Tulane in the first intercollegiate contest played in any sport by Louisiana State University. Team captain E.B. Young reportedly hand-picked those colors for the LSU squad.

Later that year, the first football game was played. On November 25, 1893, football coach/chemistry professor Dr. Charles Coates and some of his players went into town to purchase ribbon to adorn their gray jerseys as they prepared to play the first LSU gridiron game.

Stores were stocking ribbons in the colors of Mardi Gras -- purple, gold and green. -- for the coming Carnival season. However, none of the green had yet arrived at Reymond's Store at the corner of Third and Main streets. Coates and quarterback Ruffin Pleasant bought up all of the purple and gold stock and made it into rosettes and badges."
    6.Tulane University
    7.Myrtles Plantation
    8. Home of National Hansen's Disease Museum, which use to treat leprosy
    9. Lake Pontchartrain causeway
    10. "thanks to the slowness in communications, a peace treaty was signed at Ghent, Belgium, on Christmas Eve, 1814, but the opposing forces at New Orleans unknowingly fought one of the major battles of the war a few weeks later."
    Last edited by ReV; 04-05-2007 at 04:46 PM.

Rev-Still 9 correct. In Fact, I didn't see where you change an answer, correct me if I am wrong.

just elablorated-- try checking now
    Last edited by ReV; 04-05-2007 at 04:40 PM.

just elablorated-- try checking now
    still 9

cant be, i changed an answer, 8 or 10... post #9 ... oh shit, i'm stupid... i drive over that damn bridge all the time.. plus its in LA haha
    Last edited by ReV; 04-05-2007 at 04:46 PM.

I'm confused did you say you changed answer 8 and 10. From the way I read it, it is basically the same as you had before, more detail, but same story.

GAME OVER

CONGRATS REV!

i changed question 9, so now i either have 8 or 10 questions right... haha.. guess its 10.. cant belive i forgot about Lake Pontchartrain bridge.

woot.. i helps that i live so close, i knew alot of that stuff already.

woot.. i helps that i live so close, i knew alot of that stuff already.

I'll send you my humble list of cigars tonight to pick from. Thanks for playing, please come again

TK, thanks for the knowledge. I didn't know an of that. Congrads ReV.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Got everything in and it all looks good... thanks for the hitch hikers too.

Thread Information