Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When have you "Made It"?

Default When have you "Made It"?

I saw this on a different forum a while back and didn't think much about it at the time, but have been giving this some thought as of late.

Starting this week, the wife and I started car shopping for her a new car. She has always wanted to own a Jaguar at least once in her life. As we were discussing down payments/monthly payments, it occured to me that are looking at buying a car that not too long ago was out of our league. It got me looking at other things also. We both have very good jobs, have three beautiful daughters, a home we intend on staying in for a while. At my age (30), I feel I am doing well. What I suppose I just realized is that the 5 years of working full time, and going to school full time, is starting to payoff. I still have alot to do in life, but I feel good of what I have been able to accomplish thus far.

So my question to you is: If you think you have "made it", at what point did you? If you don't think you are quite there yet, what do you have left to do or accomplish? This is all based on YOUR opinion, not of when you think others will feel you have "made it". This has nothing to do with money, materials, it is whatever is important to you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
    So my question to you is: If you think you have "made it", at what point did you? If you don't think you are quite there yet, what do you have left to do or accomplish? This is all based on YOUR opinion, not of when you think others will feel you have "made it". This has nothing to do with money, materials, it is whatever is important to you.
    So what I'm taking away from what you're saying is that it is whatever is important to you, be it money, materials, or whatever. Clearly you're considering the new car as possibly a symbol of accomplishment. Congratulations on that (sincerely).

My take on "making it" is being happy with what I have instead of whining of what I don't. It's not being without wants, but realizing that a hell of a lot of folks have it worse off. This off of watching American Idol charity spot on TV. So yeah, I think I've made it - and more specifically - I've made it for a while. Then again, it's all relative.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

I know all of my happiness doesn't come from money, my family and friends are very important. In fact, since the weather is starting to be better, my favorite thing to do on a weekend afternoon is throw a blanket out in my backyard and have a picnic with my daughters.

I do have to admit, I do fall into the trap of status symbols sometimes, my outlook on buying my toys and such is that I work very hard, and I feel I should be rewarded. It is somewhat self-centered I know, but sometimes I can't help myself.

Blog Entries

Buy the Jaguar!! I have three of them but they're all old.

Get a used one, you'll save tons of money.

Which model were you looking at? X-type, S-type, XJ8/XJR or XK8?
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

I thought I really made it May 6, 1998, when I married my wife.

Then, I thought I really made it September 7, 2004, when my son was born.

Everything else is just gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Buy the Jaguar!! I have three of them but they're all old.

Get a used one, you'll save tons of money.

Which model were you looking at? X-type, S-type, XJ8/XJR or XK8?
    S-type. Baton Rouge has a Jag dealer, but it's selection is small. My work travels takes me to New Orleans, so I am going to check them out in the next few days.

As far as used goes, we actually are looking into maybe going that way, there are some low mile ones that seemed to be good deals.

You say you have three, what models do you have? Since you have three I would think you like them. Any words of advice as to what I am going to get myself into (read: alot of $ to maintain?)

Blog Entries

CLICK HERE and go to post number 5 for an explanation of my screen name.

I have XJ6s. A 1986, a 1987 and a 1992 which the factory designates as an "XJ40" since it's pretty much a completely different car from the earlier ones (pre 1988). The XJ40s were pretty much the 1988s through 1994 in the United States. In 1995, they did another complete model change to the X300 (still calling it an "XJ6" in the showroom). In 1998, they changed them again calling them "XJ8" but the factory model designation is X308 indicating they now have an eight cylinder engine. 2004 saw another complete redesign (fatory model code is now X350) with an all aluminum body.

The S-Type is supposed to be discontinued in 2008 and will be replaced by the "C-XF" concept car:

I've seen a few X-Types around but I don't really think much about those cars. They are small and meant to compete with the 3-series BMWs but again, I would not recommend them.

I think you're on the right track with an S-Type that isn't that old. Repairs aren't any more than any other high end car, no car is "perfect" but the S-Types are pretty reliable. One thing I do know is AVOID the 1998 - 2002 XJ8s since the engines are no good. If you find one that has had a factory replacement then great but those first year Jaguar V8s were very bad engines. Avoid them in used S-types too until the 2003/2004 time frame.

I hope my next Jaguar is a 1996 or 1997 XJ6 Vanden Plas. I generally buy older cars and work on them myself.

Here's my 1986 XJ6:

The 1987 is identical but is in the process of being painted so it doesn't look anywhere near this at the moment!

My 1992 looks like this but it's blue:

From 1988 to 1994, they all pretty much looked like this which most people don't find as nice as the older ones or even the newer ones starting in 1995 which look more like the 1987s and older.

Here's a photo of a 1996 XJ6 (or X300). Notice how it looks more like my 1986 than my 1992?
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 04-26-2007 at 12:30 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by heftysmokes View Post
    I thought I really made it May 6, 1998, when I married my wife.

Then, I thought I really made it September 7, 2004, when my son was born.

Everything else is just gravy.
    Best answer hands down.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Have I made it? Good question man. If "made it" means I'm happy with my life, definitely! I'm in a wonderful marriage to my best friend, we both have great families and we are doing pretty well financially (thanks to my wife not letting me spend money willy-nilly and making us save ). Hopefully children will be on the way soon. All in all, I don't know how much more I could ask for. Well, that's not true, I could always use a few more cigars. ;)

I have already made it. I learned a while back that you need to love every day God gives you, as you only get so many, and some of those may be pretty shitty, so enjoy the hell out of the great ones, the good ones, the ordinairy ones and hell, even some of the not-so-good ones.

So I enjoy time with my wife, I play the hell out of PC games I love, I read constantly, i enjoy the finer foods and drinks of life, I smoke the best cigars I can afford, I seek companionship with people whose company I enjoy, and I make the damn best of every single day.

You never know, you may get hit by a car or shot and paralyzed tomorrow. Then you'll look back and wonder why the hell you never took advantage of the Good Old Days!!!!

So live strong, enjoy life, and ignore the bastard nanny-staters who try to deprive you of your joy!!!
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Holy crap that XK is looking sweet!
    Congrats on making it to jagU-ar status Korean!

This may seem like a silly answer, but I kind of believe that you never really "make it."

I mean, if I woke up tomorrow and thought to myself, "I've made it," then what would I spend the rest of my life doing? Just maintaining my made status? Or are there different levels of having it made?
    There are times when I think I've never been happier, and then I think, what if I'm never happier than this moment. That's a downer to me. I like to think that being completely happy and having it made are unattainable statuses, but ones that we spend the rest of our lives, still striving for.

For me, I guess I'll know I've made it when I die, and I know I can do nothing more with my life.

Quote Originally Posted by supergirl View Post
    This may seem like a silly answer, but I kind of believe that you never really "make it."

I mean, if I woke up tomorrow and thought to myself, "I've made it," then what would I spend the rest of my life doing? Just maintaining my made status? Or are there different levels of having it made?
    There are times when I think I've never been happier, and then I think, what if I'm never happier than this moment. That's a downer to me. I like to think that being completely happy and having it made are unattainable statuses, but ones that we spend the rest of our lives, still striving for.

For me, I guess I'll know I've made it when I die, and I know I can do nothing more with my life.

I can agree that you should always seek more in life. It makes perfect sense to always strive for more, or seek more enjoyment out of every day. Otherwise, like you said, what's the point?
    It's a circle of life, sometimes you will feel on top of the world, other times, life will seem to be getting the better of you. IMHO it all depends on how you handle each, don't get too far ahead of yourself, and don't let yourself get stuck in the mud.
    As far as what does "made it" mean? Its up to each person in my opinion. For me, I have reached many of my goals for this point in my life. If I went back 5-7 years ago, and thought of a realistic picture of where I would like to be today, I would say I have met most points, and even exceeded a couple. I have a great family, at a point in my career where I am comfortable and successful, and see where I can be in the future with more hardwork. Like all of us, I have many more things to do in life, so I have many more goals to achieve. Life is a journey, not a destination.....
    Last edited by The Korean; 05-01-2007 at 10:52 PM.

Dunno if you and your wife got the car yet, but go for the S-Type R.

http://skyline-motorcars.ebizautos.c...r-1663956.html

I'm happy for you!

I remember when I first made it. I was 15, she was a cute red-head with big ol titties... Man did I ever love that minute of my life

oh well, back to work.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    I remember when I first made it. I was 15, she was a cute red-head with big ol titties... Man did I ever love that minute of my life

oh well, back to work.
    LMFAO!!!

Classic!
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mauied1101 View Post
    Best answer hands down.
    Ditto!

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyCold5 View Post
    Dunno if you and your wife got the car yet, but go for the S-Type R.

http://skyline-motorcars.ebizautos.c...r-1663956.html

I'm happy for you!

Still shopping, have a work trip planned to Mobile, AL next Friday, they have black one there now, hopefully it will still be there next week.

That S-Type R is sweet. Almost worth the trip to VA.

Yeah, the dealership is actually pretty good AND the prices are freakin amazing. Most of the cars in the lot are from leases. PLUS, the lifetime warranty is an added bonus.

If you are set for a Jaguar and getting a used one, don't pay the same or higher for a lower end, you can't beat V8 power that's supercharged! Plus, when they normally retail in the mid-30s, you can't go wrong on this deal. There's another one in VA a few miles down from this dealership (black 2005 s-type R) that's selling in the low $30k without the Nav. Plus, the mileage is in par for that old of a car.

Good luck with your search. The thing is, print the page out and when you shop around in your area, see if they can match. If they won't, walk out and say I'll have to go to this dealer. AND if they stop you before you get out the door, you can work your magic. They may be able to lower the price, and you just calculate the difference from having to fly to VA and buying this car and driving back. How much is your time worth, and most likely you'll get the price you are happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by The Korean View Post
    Still shopping, have a work trip planned to Mobile, AL next Friday, they have black one there now, hopefully it will still be there next week.

That S-Type R is sweet. Almost worth the trip to VA.

from the future. here are tonights winning lotto numbers

oops, blank.
    Last edited by LeojVS; 05-04-2007 at 11:22 PM.
    Smokey the bear says:.....

Thread Information