Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shaving Thread

I've often spoke to a few of my friends regarding shaving, and it never has been like this.
    I'm 44 and since I was old enough to see my Grandfather shave (he is deceased) he always had a wooden bowl a badger brush and one sharp razor, I always would sit by him and watch this routine each morning during the summer, as he whisked up the cream with the brush and applied it to his wet face.
    It wasn't until about 20 years ago, I was in a pharmacy where I saw a bowl and soap for shaving which brought back some pleasant memories. I purchased the kit and went home and shaved immediately, what a blast!
    Since that day I have been using this system each morning with much pleasure, I did three years ago go onto a site and purchase a Merkur razor and the solingen blades, which are great.
    I've purchased some good soaps as well and really enjoy the Almond fragrance.
    The only problem I have seen is that after I apply the lather, it is quickly to dry and I did find that I have to do one side of my face than the next.
    It is a great way to begin the morning and I look forward each day to my 15 minutes of alone time.
    “ Laughter relaxes. And relaxation is spiritual.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bucnak View Post
    I've often spoke to a few of my friends regarding shaving, and it never has been like this.
    I'm 44 and since I was old enough to see my Grandfather shave (he is deceased) he always had a wooden bowl a badger brush and one sharp razor, I always would sit by him and watch this routine each morning during the summer, as he whisked up the cream with the brush and applied it to his wet face.
    It wasn't until about 20 years ago, I was in a pharmacy where I saw a bowl and soap for shaving which brought back some pleasant memories. I purchased the kit and went home and shaved immediately, what a blast!
    Since that day I have been using this system each morning with much pleasure, I did three years ago go onto a site and purchase a Merkur razor and the solingen blades, which are great.
    I've purchased some good soaps as well and really enjoy the Almond fragrance.
    The only problem I have seen is that after I apply the lather, it is quickly to dry and I did find that I have to do one side of my face than the next.
    It is a great way to begin the morning and I look forward each day to my 15 minutes of alone time.
    Hey Bucnak,

It does definately become a ritual, I find it enjoyable and relaxing. I can't always do it the way I did last night... especially on those hangover morning (though I tend just to skip chaving on them ).

About the lather. The Kent soap, as well as a really good one from Germany I use as my travel soap, never seems to have this problem. I have the Clinique and Art of Shaving cremes, but the first time I tried them I didn't realize you needed to mix them with water in a bowl and lather it up . Whoops. You might just need to find a different soap for that. I really like the "Art of Shaving" products which I discovered by accident one day while working in New York and walking down the street. Saw an old school style barber shop which turned out the be their store.

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

From what I've read, 99.9% of the time when your lather is "dry", you just need to add a little water.

Normally, a decent badger brush will hold enough water to whip up the lather, and a good one will hold too much so you need to shake or squeeze a bit out before making the lather.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Hey Newf,

So, I can never seem to get a proper shave with my straight razor. It always seems like I'm pulling the hairs out one at a time. Now, I know the angle you are supposedly supposed to go at. How do you do it? What have your experiences been? (I'm wondering if the damnt thing has just never been properly sharp? No clue.)

-W.

5. Default

This whole thing seems a bit metrosexual and narcissistic to my unsophistocated self. But each to his own.

I'll continue to keep it simple -- Edge gel and a Gilette in the shower.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Hey Newf,

So, I can never seem to get a proper shave with my straight razor. It always seems like I'm pulling the hairs out one at a time. Now, I know the angle you are supposedly supposed to go at. How do you do it? What have your experiences been? (I'm wondering if the damnt thing has just never been properly sharp? No clue.)

-W.
    My guess is it needs to be honed Will. Ever hear of the "Hanging Hair Test"?? It's exactly as it sounds. With a properly honed & stropped razor, the hair will slice itself off just from the weight of itself "hanging" across the edge of the blade. "Honemeisters" say it takes years to learn it properly. Check out www.straightrazorplace.com for more info, and there's a few guys from T.O there.

Quote Originally Posted by HabanoHo View Post
    This whole thing seems a bit metrosexual and narcissistic to my unsophistocated self. But each to his own.

Hey Ho, 2 things:

• I spent 30 years using the same shaving method you do now, and I hated every bloody minute of it. Now, I look forward to "me" time I spend shaving and I wish I had known about what it's like to "really shave" 30 years ago (probably before you were hatched).
    • You like to use big words don'cha??? I'll admit that "metrosexual" and "narcissistic" aren't a part of my daily vocabularly. So that being said, I checked a couple of on-line sources in my attempt to grasp exactly what you were trying to say, and basically, from what I can gather, you were saying that anyone who goes through this "....has gay tendencies and seems to be wayyyyyyy too enamoured with themselves..............". Tell me I'm wrong???

As of this writing, you have 11 posts on this site, and the way I see it, only 3 can even be remotely considered as valuable info towards this place. You, my fine feathered friend, are a classic example of what the FOGs here are referring to when they say "Read more and post less".

I will refrain from putting my exact thoughts into print because by Hex's newly stated rules about attacks, he'd have every right to ban me.

So, that being said, have a good life and if you don't have anything of value to add to a thread I started, I'd appreciate if you didn't clutter it up.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by HabanoHo View Post

Hey, I'm Metro and my wife loves it, and sometimes I wish I wasn't married because the ladies love it too. haha.

Narcissistic would be getting a nosejob or something for looks (as opposed to medical reasons).

Also, its a lost art. A bit like Cigars in some ways. An escape from the modern world to older times.

-W.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    My guess is it needs to be honed Will. Ever hear of the "Hanging Hair Test"?? It's exactly as it sounds. With a properly honed & stropped razor, the hair will slice itself off just from the weight of itself "hanging" across the edge of the blade. "Honemeisters" say it takes years to learn it properly. Check out www.straightrazorplace.com for more info, and there's a few guys from T.O there.

Hey Ho, 2 things:

• I spent 30 years using the same shaving method you do now, and I hated every bloody minute of it. Now, I look forward to "me" time I spend shaving and I wish I had known about what it's like to "really shave" 30 years ago (probably before you were hatched).
    • You like to use big words don'cha??? I'll admit that "metrosexual" and "narcissistic" aren't a part of my daily vocabularly. So that being said, I checked a couple of on-line sources in my attempt to grasp exactly what you were trying to say, and basically, from what I can gather, you were saying that anyone who goes through this "....has gay tendencies and seems to be wayyyyyyy too enamoured with themselves..............". Tell me I'm wrong???

As of this writing, you have 11 posts on this site, and the way I see it, only 3 can even be remotely considered as valuable info towards this place. You, my fine feathered friend, are a classic example of what the FOGs here are referring to when they say "Read more and post less".

I will refrain from putting my exact thoughts into print because by Hex's newly stated rules about attacks, he'd have every right to ban me.

So, that being said, have a good life and if you don't have anything of value to add to a thread I started, I'd appreciate if you didn't clutter it up.

Hmm, my guess is no way mine would pass that test. I think step 1. would be to get a good fine stone as I saw briefly checking that site out. I'll need to look more on there. You on the forums there too?

As for the other, Metrosexuals are straight dudes like us who like to pamper themselves and look good and who are comfortable in their male sexuality to not give a shit what people think if they use a moisturizer or modern grooming methods Newf.

-W.

snip...Narcissistic would be getting a nosejob or something for looks (as opposed to medical reasons).

...snip
    Quote from Wikipedia.

In psychology and psychiatry, excessive narcissism is recognized as a severe personality dysfunction or personality disorder, most characteristically Narcissistic Personality Disorder, also referred to as NPD.

The terms "narcissism", "narcissistic" and "narcissist" are often used as pejoratives, denoting vanity, conceit, egotism or simple selfishness. Applied to a social group, it is sometimes used to denote elitism or an indifference to the plight of others.
    Nuff said for me.

Hmm, my guess is no way mine would pass that test. I think step 1. would be to get a good fine stone as I saw briefly checking that site out. I'll need to look more on there. You on the forums there too?

As for the other, Metrosexuals are straight dudes like us who like to pamper themselves and look good and who are comfortable in their male sexuality to not give a shit what people think if they use a moisturizer or modern grooming methods Newf.

-W.
    I know mine won't!!!! lmao. Those 4K - 8K Norton stoness they talk about woujld run in the vicinity of $80 US to $120 Canadian (actual quote from a local Norton supplier.

Will, if I may quote Wiki again:

Though the term has undergone a transformation from its original meaning (a heterosexual man who appeared or acted as if he were homosexual or bisexual), current trends have seen the metrosexual label placed upon male embracing of practices usually perceived to be feminine, rather than those specifically associated with stereotypically effeminate homosexuals
    Like I said, I ain't in the habit of using words like that every day, so I'll take Wiki as an ultramodern accurate meaning of the word.

Basically, I really don't give a fuck about who thinks what about if my favourite cologne comes from Crabtree & Evelyn or Chanel, I just don't like snotty-nosed punks (shit, was that my outside voice??) like "him" shittin' on others, be it me, Kev or anyone else.

EDIT:

Yes, I am on that board. Same handle.
    Last edited by Newfie; 05-22-2007 at 01:58 PM.

For Christmas I received a Merkur Futur D/E adjustable safety razor (polished) along with the matching stand, badger brush and soap dish. It even came with classicshaving.com's Bay Rum shave soap. I used up the old razors I had first then started using the Merkur. I have to admit that at first the shave was not as smooth as I hoped it was going to be. However, it seems to be improving with practice. I also looked at badgerandblade.com and though I was only on there a short time, liked what I saw.

Two reasons I left cartridge blades behind:
    1) Waste and cost of the cartridges themselves. All that plastic and crap, plus they want 15 bucks for a small pack? Funk dat! For the same price I get 20 weeks of shaves plus less waste.
    2) A return to a more gentlemanly version of the morning (or evening, in my case, as I often shave at night since I have to be at work at six) ritual. There is a part of me that wishes I lived in turn of the (19th) century England. This helps.

Newfie (and any others who are into the "shave ritual") what is your aftershave of choice? I am currently using Herban Cowboy's Organic Aftershave Balm. I plan on doing some checking around on badgerandblade.com as well, but any immediate recommendations would be appreciated.

Later, gents. Happy shaving!

TampaSupremo
    "Ph-nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"-H.P. Lovecraft

This is all very interesting, and has me rethinking spending so much on those damn machIII blades.

On another note, the last thing I would see as feminine is shaving your face with a straight razor. Well, except for the bearded lady at a carnival.

2:49 am. fucking drunk. shit faced in fact. note: fuck Wikipedia as any source of decency. still love you all. crap my cigar is drying out......

-W.

Shaving eh? I only recently got into using actual blades as opposed to an electric razor. I started using bics which were pretty decent to be honest, but I soon moved onto a mach3. I haven't the time or patience for a big old straight edge, badger brush session.

I've used shaving soap and a brush before, during the first gulf war when entertainment was at a premium and I had some free time. It's nostalgic, so I can see the attraction. These days, I'm short on time, so I stick to the Mach 3 and shave gel in the shower. I use an electric when I'm in a real hurry or getting rid of 5:00 shadow before an evening out. Electric is very irritating to me, so I shy away from it.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Quote Originally Posted by TampaSupremo View Post
    For Christmas I received a Merkur Futur D/E adjustable safety razor (polished) along with the matching stand, badger brush and soap dish
    .....snip....
    Newfie (and any others who are into the "shave ritual") what is your aftershave of choice? I am currently using Herban Cowboy's Organic Aftershave Balm. I plan on doing some checking around on badgerandblade.com as well, but any immediate recommendations would be appreciated.
    ....snip
    The Futur is a nice razor. probably my favourite DE right now of the 5 I own.

As for favourite aftershave, LOL, that's a deep question. Basically I have 2. Old Spice Original. Reminds me of my father shaving when I was young, and the smell of my grand-dad when he was done shaving (RIP). I like mama Bear's Summer Aftersave. It's basically unscented and looks like semi-thick milk. Very nice and refreshing!!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinDVM View Post
    This is all very interesting, and has me rethinking spending so much on those damn machIII blades.

On another note, the last thing I would see as feminine is shaving your face with a straight razor. Well, except for the bearded lady at a carnival.
    Barry, I was thinking the same, but right now I've probably spent more in the last 2 months than I would have in 2 years on M3 blades. But I have enough stuff now to do me for 5 years of DE and straight shaving. But shaving stuff is like cigars, always another purchase on the horizon!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
    I've used shaving soap and a brush before, during the first gulf war when entertainment was at a premium and I had some free time. It's nostalgic, so I can see the attraction. These days, I'm short on time, so I stick to the Mach 3 and shave gel in the shower. I use an electric when I'm in a real hurry or getting rid of 5:00 shadow before an evening out. Electric is very irritating to me, so I shy away from it.
    Kenyth, right now, I enjoy shaving so much I make time for it. I'll often shave at night before bed when The Bride is watching crap on TV, but I'll normally get up 1/2 hour earlier than I used to and shave in the morning. Usually though, I can only shave every 36 hours.

WILL:

How ya feelin' this morning dood!!!!!

WILL:

How ya feelin' this morning dood!!!!!
    Oh my aching head!

Man, I tell ya, don't drink and post!

-W.
    Last edited by Monk; 05-23-2007 at 10:45 AM.

As for favourite aftershave, LOL, that's a deep question. Basically I have 2. Old Spice Original. Reminds me of my father shaving when I was young, and the smell of my grand-dad when he was done shaving (RIP). I like mama Bear's Summer Aftersave. It's basically unscented and looks like semi-thick milk. Very nice and refreshing!!
    One thing that should be noted about Aftershaves. Any containing alcohol will not be good for your skin and a good aftershave should contain moisturiser of some sort.

I have the same memories of Old Spice as you Newf and although I don't use it much for the above reason I just posted, I do keep a bottle around :)

-W.

I have been collecting shaving mugs for years and really enjoy soap shaving.. But my eyes are to bad to use a straight razor, ole spice are my favorite mugs sofar . Thanks for links and this tread

My hands would have been far too shaky this morning for a straight razor!

-W.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaSupremo View Post
    2) A return to a more gentlemanly version of the morning (or evening, in my case, as I often shave at night since I have to be at work at six) ritual. There is a part of me that wishes I lived in turn of the (19th) century England. This helps.

Later, gents. Happy shaving!

TampaSupremo
    Missed answering this last night (on purpose! :) ) but I hear ya on #2 TampaSupremo!

As for my aftershave, I just use my M-Protect SPF21 moisturiser, if I am going out somewhere special then I'll usually wait a bit and spray on a bit of Dolce & Gabanna Eau du Toilette.

Thread Information