Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The Shaving Thread

Quote Originally Posted by b.read View Post
    It took me awhile to find what worked best for me...started using a generic puck my wife bought me at the grocery store (I do not recommend this ) to Proraso, to C.O. Bigelow, was then given some Cremo Cream for Christmas last year as well as a kit from Art of Shaving. Tried both and liked both, but ended up sticking with the AOS cream. It's a bit pricey in the store, but it can be found cheaper online. I've found that a tub will last about 6 months or so.

That said, I found that having a decent brush made the most difference- my wife also bought me a generic (synthetic) brush from the same grocery a few years back. Upgrading to a better brush was night and day.
    I was mistaken, I have not tried the Cremo...This is what I tried
    http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Cell...00g_p_359.html
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Yeah...even though my current brush is a huge improvement over the first one I had, I wouldn't mind upgrading again in the next few months or so. I had previously looked around at westcoastshaving.com as that's where I go for my blades but I like the selection on the site you posted there better. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm betting the super badger brush is really nice, is there really any point to step up to "silver"? I've never used one...

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    I was mistaken, I have not tried the Cremo...This is what I tried
    http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Cell...00g_p_359.html
    Ah! Haven't tried that...I was given this:

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Crem...eam_p_114.html

Not bad, but I preferred the AOS.

Ah! Haven't tried that...I was given this:

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Crem...eam_p_114.html

Not bad, but I preferred the AOS.
    You don't find the AOS too loose? I found it hard to control the amount I get when I dip my brush in the pot.
    I tried the Lemon and loved the lather and scent, I just wished it was a bit more firm.
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Yeah...even though my current brush is a huge improvement over the first one I had, I wouldn't mind upgrading again in the next few months or so. I had previously looked around at westcoastshaving.com as that's where I go for my blades but I like the selection on the site you posted there better. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm betting the super badger brush is really nice, is there really any point to step up to "silver"? I've never used one...
    BMOC syndrome
    I really don't think so.
    ~ Gerry Adams

You don't find the AOS too loose? I found it hard to control the amount I get when I dip my brush in the pot.
    I tried the Lemon and loved the lather and scent, I just wished it was a bit more firm.
    Not really...I get a satisfying amount of drag when using my merkur 34c and feathers, but that may be due to my so-so technique. I was given the sandalwood kit and while I'm not usually a fan, I like the scent. I may give them lemon a shot next go around or see if I can get a sample next time I'm near the shop here.

BMOC syndrome
    I really don't think so.

You're probably right...I'm sure it will lead to another acquisition disorder which is the last thing I need.

Are you using a seperate bowl to work the lather in?
    Nah, I face lather with soaps.

Been using Mama Bears for quite some time as well. Dragon's Blood and Spellbound Woods are my favorites. Have them in cologne as well.
    Yay! Cigars!

Blog Entries

Well, after lurking in this thread for some time, I noticed that the local drug store had Paraso soap like Paddy posted, and the Nivea shaving cream mentioned earlier. I picked up the Nivea cream because it was on sale, tried it today ... and it bugged my skin more than my usual Edge gel or shaving oil or, ah, regular soap. (I have a Gillette razor with some ridiculous number of blades.)

I suspect that because I have oily skin, only need to shave twice a week, can and do shave in all directions, and don't have much density of facial hair (my Movember mustache is pathetic), that it doesn't matter what I use?

The stuff sounds neat, though ... :-)

A five year old thread. Let's restart it:

So last Wednesday was the day. I had acquired all of the basics, a razor, blades, soap and a brush. I woke up around 8:30 am and sat everything out, excited, but hopefully about my new path to a better shave..

I had purchased a mini gift set of White Birch and tobacco butter from Burlington Coat Factory. So, it wasn't a puck, nor really cream. It all ready had the yogurt consistency in the jar. It smelled more menthol than anything. No idea what white birch smells like, and the tobacco smell was faint. I then pulled out the synthetic brush that came with the gift set and wasn't impressed..

I picked up my Shave Factory (Derby) razor bought from Sally's Beauty Supply and dropped it onto the tile floor. Should have taken that as a sign, but I inspected it and saw nothing wrong (as if I could tell) and proceeded. I placed the razor and the brush in my mug filled with warm water and took a shower.

After the shower I began. I took a dime sized mount of the cream with water and placed it is the mug and tried to work up a lather .It only made the cream more milky. Another bad sign. No matter how much I tried no lather. I checked the directions. Which were of no help. I finally stuck the brush directly in the cream and applied. I then realized this was possibly a brushless soap. I remembered a few guys mentioning that slightly in the limited reviews I had found online, but never processed what that meant to actually applying it. It proceeded to lather my face and head with the shaving soap. The smell was very minimal. The brush was able to lather ok. But, sadly I could get the blade to catch on my skin. I was able to shave without incident. I didn't have any nicks or cuts, mostly because I followed all the advice of light pressure, but the blade never really came into contact to cut any facial hair (which I had a 3-4 day growth of). Then, it happened, the cream started to run down my head into my eyes. Which made me ask should I be doing my face and head at the same time, or should it be done separately? So, now looking like Carrie (minus the red color of blood) with milky white goo running down my head into my eyes, distracting my rhythm while applying a sharp blade to my face and head-Ah, living the dream! I decided to power through, but sadly had it running down my neck to my chest and stomach. It was a bloody mess, especially compounded by the fact I didn't see any hair in the sink after each rinse. I was not impressed with the.Personna.blade (a last minute substitute from the Astra). It seemed to sit to far in and not set out far enough. Will definitely consider upgrading to VDH, Astra and possibly Feather blades-hell anything else, maybe a rusty soup can lid.

I had planned to do 2 passes WTG only (remember it my first time). But after the 2nd pass left me with a goatee stubble (under the nose, mouth and chin) and virtually no hair removed from the back of my head. I finished and went to take a nap, but couldnt sleep, because I needed to address this. So, I got up and did one final pass against the grain and not duplicating the messy disaster of earlier got mostly all of the hair that remained. I still had some very light hair on my cheeks. But, I felt it was good enough as I concluded I would also need to refine my technique by much more practice. It was the closest shave I have had in a long time.

Immediate takeaways: I got over my anxiety of having the blade contact my skin (when it did) so that's gone. The knowledge that my face has many more subtle contours than I knew, but thankfully no cuts or nicks occured. That I need to do more research on the selection and use of my tools and products. Lastly, I've got to play the long game and the goal is to improve.

So all in all, not dissuaded, just a lot discouraged, because I thought I had prepared well for my first time-not even close: "Beware mileage may vary". I'll be doing it again, but I don't know if I'm suppose to shave everyday or when I have growth after a few days.

I did feel manly, but the little girl in me died a messy death to achieve that.

My second wet shave (last Saturday morning).

I actually waited an extra day because I did have that much beard growth. But, I did have more experience and was brimming with confidence. I soaked the razor in warm water and not the brush. I actually ran into a issue when showering that the water never got cold. Normally, I would have taken that as a bad sign, I powered through and wetted the tip of the brush and dipped it into the shave butter directly and applied. It lathered ok, but I know other products would do much better. I decided to not do my head (I'll alternate days or decide to do that after more shaves). While I placed the razor where my sideburn end and tilted the razor, I still don't feel I've improved getting the best the angle from my first shave. I made to WTG passes, which resulted in patches of stubble still being on both cheeks and my lower jaw and chin (my problem areas) but they were better due to my first shave reducing the majority of the beard. I snapped to my senses and did a third pass ATG. I washed out my brush, razor and blade; I added coconut oil to the blade before storing it away. I rinsed my head with cold water under the shower spicket and patted my face dry with a face towel.

I noticed I had two weepers in the exact same spots just above the tops of the corner of my lips. But, that was all the damage done. My technique is still crap though. I will admit I have taken having a light touch to heart, which has been a godsend, but my strokes and hesitant, too long at times and I go back over the same areas too much from what I've seen in the videos (areas w/o shave foam). My other take away was the feeling I had looking forward to and after the shave. It was a mixture of confidence, as I earlier mentioned, and elation. Not, because I had another shave under my belt, but how great it felt, how I looked forward to the actual shave itself. I was pumped, like answering the bell for a prizefight. It was almost zen like during the shave itself. But, I left renewed, refreshed and feeling good. So, there's something to what several members said about shaving daily for the feeling. I'm starting to get it-it's very therapeutic. While not BBS, I was please with this second attempt.

I feel a little stupid, every time I think, "why hadn't I done this sooner or where has this been all my life?"

Default Unexpected 2nd head shave A-Ok

I had skipped shaving my head yesterday and only focused on my face. After much thought, I decided to either go back to using my multiblade on my head or alternate days with my DE.

Due to my water heater acting up after a couple of power outages during yesterday's thunderstorms. I couldn't shave my head in the shower, so tonight after a cold shower. I decided to shave my head a second time with my DE in the sink.

Intially only have my head, actually gave me a calm demenor about this shave. I lathered up with Tri-coastal White Birch and Tobacco butter. I did three passes, WTG, ATG and XTG. I took my time, swith hands when needed and the result...Wait for it!

An amazing close head shave with no nicks or cuts. I even amazed myself. I rinsed my head with cold water under the shower spicket. I finished with tea tree spray and Dove Care Men's moisturizer.

Yul Brenner, Telly Savales and Mr. Clean eat your heart's out. I'm gorgeously handsome.

Whew! Another small victory.

Blog Entries

It seems like your whole process is a lot more involved than mine. I use a simple Merkur safety razor with open comb and Feather hi-stainless blades (a must). I use a boar bristle brush and Mitchel's Wool Fat soap. I soak the brush in hot water for a minute or 2 while I brush my teeth. Remove brush, load with soap, lather it on my face, then shave with the grain. Super simple, no nicks, little irritation. I either use Nivea or one of the other big name "natural" brands who's name escapes me at the moment. I found a box of really old blades at my grandma's that I'm going to try out next time I shave. Just for giggles.

Default Third wet shave completed...

So, I started to see some stubble on my chin and decided to try my third shave. A friend's suggested I shave at night before bed, to which I agreed. It allows me quiet, a relaxing state after my shower and not time constraints (rushing through the process) like the mornings.

I even added a twist by making a night of it by lighting up a Ghurka Master Blend cigar earlier, prepared and ate dinner, watched "Person of Interest" and proceeded to shower. Luckily, my neighbor, whose a handyman reset my water heater for $20, so no more cold showers.

I dipped the razor into a mug of warm water as I showered, not the brush (it's a cheap synthetic one). I used a Personna blade (third use). I lathered up w Tri-coastal White Birch and tobacco butter. I had a better handle on how to apply this brushless farce of a cream, now after three shaves. I made three masterful, but measured passes: WTG, XTG, & ATG. I felt a little tug from the razor on the start of the last pass, so realized it was time for a new razor. But, I'm going to see if I can squeeze one more shave before retiring the blade.

I washed my face with warm water in the sink, then rinsed it with cold Thirdwater under the shower spicket, and patted it dry. Not weepers, nicks or cuts. While not BBS, in three face shaves and two head shaves, the result is staggering compared to my old single blade BIC disposables, it was night and day. No irritation, rough patches, stray hairs, nothing. I also realized that in the summer my beard grows less than the winter months, so the hair reduction aspect has been perfect for me. I finished off with a tea tree oil spray and then Kiss My Face Olive & Aloe lotion. It was sheer nirvana to have my face just be calm, and not recovering from the BICs butchering-it was what you'd desire before bed-peace.

So, while not perfect, I'd score it an 86. Still reading up on wet shaving, watching the videos and thinking through what steps to incorporate to make this work best for me, but dare I say it, I'm pleased after only three full shaves to look in the mirror and see my handiwork. I've dubbed this time for me as the "golden hour".

Would welcome any feedback

Blog Entries

You guys must be single, or at least without kids.

I wear a beard to avoid all this.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    You guys must be single, or at least without kids.

I wear a beard to avoid all this.
    I shave about every 2 or 3 months when the wife's complaints about my completely gray beard become unbearable.

Default Fourth DE shave in the shower

Suprisingly, Thursday I decided for the sake of time, my fourth shave would be both my face and head in the shower-risky I know.

I showered, and used a new shave bowl. It was a small plastic salsa bowl that was on sale in the grocery store for $1.20. I had looked at a lot of cups, mugs and bowls many made out of glass, porcelin, etc. But, this one had numerous positives: the size fit my single hand grip amazingly, the textured plastic on the outside of the bowl improved the grip immensely, the cheap plastic ensure no chipping nor destruction if dropped. All for $1.20.
    I finished my shower, used my synthetic brush to dip into Tri-coastal White Birch and tobacco shave butter. I didn't used any water, due to the humidity of the warm shower would have made lather runny. The lather was consistent, but not great: I made more of a point to work the shave butter in. I used a new Personna blade.

The lack of a mirror put me a new distinct disadvantage, but I though that wold be minimized by the fact I shave exclusively with my disposable BICs in the shower on the same face. So, I forged ahead carefully, like your elderly grandma driving her Cadillac home from church.

I made it through three reasonable passes: WTG, XTG, and ATG. The issues were trying to gauge where the blade had been on my face and performing the next stroke exactly where it needed to be. But, I will probably go back to shaving out of shower, with a mirror-that visual reflection will improve my line of sight immensely and my confidence even more. This was a score of 74.
    I moved on to my head and immediately realized, I couldn't gauge the lather thickness of this brushless shave butter without a mirror. Clearly, without experience lacking a mirror is an added disadvantage for a novice. But, with my head I thought I could use my off shave hand to seek out the areas on my head to assist with the shave. After three gingerly passes-WTG, XTG and ATG-I actually did ok. I'd score it a 78.
    Thankful that there were no cuts, nicks or gashes on my face nor head.
    I cleaned my brush and razor, and placed them in my new bowl-which had the perfect depth, despite being on the smallish size. I rinsed off with warm water under the shower spicket. I then, turned off the hot water and did a full body rinse with icy cold water head to toe. I finished by patting my head and face dry with a towel upon exiting the shower. I used a tea tree spray and finished with Kiss My Face Olive oil and Aloe lotion.

Takeaways: I need to keep it simple. That whole shower scene could have ended badly. So, I need to check my ego and put more thought into controlling my environment to assist towards a better shave. Be more aware of the time commitment that is needed to accomplish a good shave-more is better. Also, figure out and commit to a solid shave routine: I saw that I had some wiggle room with shaving my face and head at the same time, but I'm going to stick to alternating days. Lastly, I need to use better products asap.

But, I can say the "golden hour" remained outstanding. I felt like a million bucks while out later shopping for cigar supplies and groceries for the coming bad weather (we're predicted to have 4 days of severe thunderstorms locally).

Yesterday's shave was good, bordering on great except, for a couple of nicks and few weepers under the nose and around the left corner of my mouth. But, a styptic handled those quite well.

Blog Entries

Fortunately I've yet to complete puberty. Not much of a need to shave here.

Yesterday's shave was good, bordering on great except, for a couple of nicks and few weepers under the nose and around the left corner of my mouth. But, a styptic handled those quite well.

Thread Information