Thread: Any good cigar themed movies?

Default Any good cigar themed movies?

Just wondering if there are any cigar themed movies worth watching.

Something along the lines of what Sideways is to wine movies, The Red Violin is to violins and Freddie Got Fingered is to...

...actually Freddie Got Fingered blew chunks
    "Science is a candle in the dark" - some science guy

MMmmm... scotch. Another love.

The movie Smoke with Harvey Kietel and William Hurt is pretty decent and there is a movie called Blowing Smoke, I haven't seen this myself but I hear it isn't bad.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Quote Originally Posted by prophetic_joe View Post
    The movie Smoke with Harvey Kietel and William Hurt is pretty decent and there is a movie called Blowing Smoke, I haven't seen this myself but I hear it isn't bad.
    I watched Smoke not too long ago. It was terrible. Not about cigars.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

The movie Smoke is not really about cigars at all; it's about life. So don't watch it expecting a movie about cigar smokers.

I have heard that Blowing Smoke is a cool movie about guys who get together to smoke cigars and play cards often, and all goes great until one of them brings a smoking hot girl into the mix and then things go downhill from there.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Just curious, what would be an interesting story line of a hypothetical cigar themed flick?I can't come up with one that the average Joe would find engaging. I can't come up with one that I would find engaging...

I have heard that Blowing Smoke is a cool movie about guys who get together to smoke cigars and play cards often, and all goes great until one of them brings a smoking hot girl into the mix and then things go downhill from there.[/QUOTE]

Looked it up on Amazon and yes there is a girl smoking a cigar on the cover, but on review says the girl on the cover isn't eyen in the movie. And its about smoking dope not cigars, so I guess the one on the cover is a Blunt LOL

Default Blowing Smoke 2004 vs Blowin' Smoke 1999

There seams to be a fair bit of confusion about this at Amazon. Had to look it up on IMDB.

Blowing Smoke (2004) is about cigars:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0432257/plotsummary (contain spoiler so don't look if you don't want to know how it ends).

It certainly doesn't look the equal of Sideways, but I do like the poster (http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0432257/iid_881097.jpg).

Blowin' Smoke, AKA Freak Talks About Sex (1999) doesn't really look like its about cigars at all.
    Last edited by rsanz; 05-19-2007 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyWalker View Post
    Just curious, what would be an interesting story line of a hypothetical cigar themed flick?I can't come up with one that the average Joe would find engaging. I can't come up with one that I would find engaging...

There's always a way to make an engaging movie involving something people are passionate about. I never said it should be for the average (American) Joe. Sideways and Red Violin certainly weren't aimed at the average Joe, while I bet Freddie Got Fingered was

But if there was one for your average joe it might run like this...

Time travelling robots from the future come to earth, sink a large unsinkable ocean liner with an iceberg they broke of the Arctic using glogal warming, all the while discussing the nuances of different fillers and binders and smoking bans. Oh and Lindsay Lohan or Jessica Alba should probably make an appearance somewhere in it too, preferably scantily clad and hugging each other. Throw in some impossibly large explosions, a mini-gun, an analogy to jesus and you've got a blockbuster on your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    I watched Smoke not too long ago. It was terrible. Not about cigars.
    No not about cigars but the movie centers around the cigar shop and the people who go into that cigar shops interactions with eachother. Watch the scene where William Hurt is looking over Harvey Keitel's photos that scene sums up what the movie is about.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Saw part of Blowing Smoke. Not bad, but Sideways has a much better cast. I would like to see the whole thing next time I catch it on cable. Rich guys herf it up right until??? I think the hot girl is named Estella Warren. Still, I have mixed feelings about recomending it.

Thread Information