Thread: Rounders!!

Default Rounders!!

great movie, highly recommended

anyone else?

Watched the movie before every poker game during college! Gets me psyched before the game. Excellent movie, highly recommend to any avid poker fan.

Andrew

Blog Entries

Love it...except the one scene where Mike McD goes around the professor's table and calls every hand after only looking for 5-10 seconds...I call bullshit.

Also, if you haven't yet Boom, check the commentary section in the DVD. They have some big name hold 'em players putting their 2 cents in. Moneymaker, Chan, that loudmouth asshole Hellmuth, and Ferguson IIRC.

On a side note, how fantastic is Edward Norton? Rounders, American History X, Fight Club, 25th hour, etc. Just an incredible actor.

edward norton and matt damon are outstanding actors in darn near every movie they've ever been in IMO

I love this movie

Rounders started and sustained the poker boom that is just now starting to subside.

Nuff said.

An excellent movie,but for some reason I dont really like Matt Damon,Even though I liked the movie Good Will Hunting.Go figure.

it really sucks to see the boom subsiding, means less profits for us "sharks"

Quote Originally Posted by heftysmokes View Post
    Love it...except the one scene where Mike McD goes around the professor's table and calls every hand after only looking for 5-10 seconds...I call bullshit.
    I read an interview with the director and writer, and they said that they did some research and actually have seen some pros do this. Not necessarily to the exact degree that McD does, but pretty close.

Every once in a while you see pros at the WSOP do it to show off when they're at a table of joes and the camera is on. Helmuth and Neganue in particular seem to do it a lot. Of course, this is generally when there are 2-4 other players in on the hand...

I'll see if I can find the article for you. I remember thinking the same thing that you said when I first saw it though.

Just found it,

Mike McD reading the hands -- he walked in with two cards to come, and the judges were playing stud, so there was a lot more information out there. We've seen Phil Hellmuth and many other pros stand right next to us and put people on exact hands. So, yeah, nod appreciatively.-Koppelman & Levien

Blog Entries

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's impossible, just highly unlikely, especially when McD walks into a room cold and can nail it like that. I'm sure the guys you mention who do it on TV have already picked up the players tendencies and things of that nature so it's a bit easier to call the cards. Just my opinion...

i agree that its total bullshit in the movie to call those hands cold with that kinda accuracy. i could see it happening later on in the evening but not off the first hand. but even so, calling all the players out on one hand is near impossible no matter how bad they may be. but then again its just a movie, and it does give that 'wow' factor to exagerate how good of a player he is and how much luck is really involved for a pro poker player.

Thread Information