Page 444 of 555 FirstFirst ... 344394434442443444445446454494544 ... LastLast
Results 8,861 to 8,880 of 11083

Thread: Today's smokes......

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Did it just lose too much of the Partagas edge?
    ...so this is exactly what I was most disappointed with. I was looking for that "edge", but did not pick up on it until I was over halfway done. The first 1/2 was pretty unremarkable and fairly "mild" (strange for a Partagas). The last 1/3 was the best - that nice Partagas spiciness and full body I'm used to in the #4's. I actually had difficulty putting it down at the end I was enjoying it so much.

I won't say it was bad - but I also won't say it was great. I'd smoke it again, but won't be seeking it out.

It is so ironic I've been asked about my experience with that cigar - as I smoked it I thought I should write a review. I definitely picked up on the Partagas in the cigar, but was also pretty disappointed in my overall impression. It's fairly easy for me to write a review of the typical PSD #4's I've smoked. This cigar was very different and hard to pin down...
    Last edited by ggiese; 05-22-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Blog Entries

Thanks. The price premium to the SD#4 was pretty steep IIRC, especially given that the cigar is smaller.

LE's and RE's have been hit-and-miss for me (given their price premium), and it sounds like the SD#5 will remain in the "miss" column.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Thanks. The price premium to the SD#4 was pretty steep IIRC, especially given that the cigar is smaller.

LE's and RE's have been hit-and-miss for me (given their price premium), and it sounds like the SD#5 will remain in the "miss" column.
    I have yet to have a RE or LE that blew me away. I personally think it's an awful lotta big deal over nothing. Though i was hopeful that PSD #5 EL would be something like the R&J Short Churchills I've enjoyed, as I was expecting a similar smoking experience with a bit more "oomph" from the Partagas. It did not really pan out that way though (until the final third)...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I have yet to have a RE or LE that blew me away......snip
    A phenomenon that, for me, isn't limited to Island smokes.

Blog Entries

I might be biased, but I thought the Bolivar Simones RE Canada was better than other Boli's that I have from the same year (BBF and Royal Coronas). At about two years they (and the other Boli's) went into a sick period and mine are still very muted, but improving. The Simones supposed-re-pack into 25 count boxes are still available new (and at 2008 prices) and I am tempted.

The Cohiba LE 2006 was not exciting for years, but my last one made me kick myself for not sitting on the box for at least five years. OTOH, sitting on a box of Cohiba Lancero might have ended up just as good.

But yes, the few others that I have had have been disappointments.

I don't see the price premium as being worth it (says the man who just bought a cab of another poorly received RE).

At the other end of the scale, I am currently smoking a Rustico Habano from a bundle that I won at QSH a couple years ago. After they sat for a year, these were a nice $5 cigar in a market full of nice $5 cigars - but now Atlantic has them for half-price, and they would be a great $2-$3 cigar, for the bargain hunter.

Blog Entries

Padron '26 maduro ~ #35 (from the pass)

Absolutely exquisite.

Thank you!
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Ashton VSG Corona Gorda. Great cigar, though the strength is a bit much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Padron '26 maduro ~ #35 (from the pass)

Absolutely exquisite.

Thank you!
    One of my favorites. Thinking about picking up another box while I'm down in Florida.

Had an E.P. Carrillo Golosos Wednesday night. A very good cigar, in my opinion.
    All my ex's live in Texas.

Great end to the week. Took a couple extra days off work this week and got away with my wife. Thursday I had a Liga #9, which was very good. Then yesterday I decided on an HUPMANN Vintage Cameroon. What will today bring?

Blog Entries

PLPC.

To whom it may concern: I am now officially a Cuban cigar snob. I am thinking about selling off a bunch of non-Cubans in a few weeks, with delivery to US addresses when I go to QSH.

Blog Entries

PLPC.

To whom it may concern: I am now officially a Cuban cigar snob. I am thinking about selling off a bunch of non-Cubans in a few weeks, with delivery to US addresses when I go to QSH.
    Put me down for your Black n Milds if you have any please. Thanks.

Last night: Padron 1964 Family Reserve 85 Years Maduro. This was on my wish list and I appreciated having the opportunity to smoke one. The cigar did not disappoint and I will definitely be picking up some more.

Thanks again!

Mark

Team Blowholes owns the Whiny Bitches!

PLPC.

PLPC is a no-brainer. I will know you're a Cuban cigar snob when you tell me how much you "love" a 5 yr old Quinteros Brevas.

Blog Entries

Quintero Londres Extra or Panatella maybe, but the Brevas ... I have 25 (half of a half-wheel?) that have been in a jar for about five years now... but they will stay in that jar for a while.

KB: Sorry, I don't have any milds left - I smoked them all. I only have the strong stuff left.

My Father cigar and morning coffee while sitting in the screen room

Yesterday while visiting with my uncle in Cameron, NC I enjoyed an Oliva Serie V Gordo.
    All my ex's live in Texas.

Blog Entries

Yesterday:
    Monte #4 - this was one of those old sons a bitches I asked about a while back, it was not that bad with my coffee

San Lotano Oval

My first PSD4

San Lotano Maduro

Today:
    Sencillo Platinum

2001 Opus RDC - it was part of an "aged" sampler I bought. I have no way of knowing if it's actually a 2001 but it makes me feel good to believe it, so it is imo. It's good never the less as they say.

Blog Entries

Was the Opus cello yellow? ;-)

Another PLPC earlier today for me. Currently smoking a My Father Le Bijou 1922 Corona Gorda - now two years old, and this particular one isn't as good as the ones I smoked a year ago... or my tastes have changed, or the cigar is too moist, or...

Blog Entries

I took it out when I got it and I really can't remember. It wasn't the pepper bomb that the fresh Opus I have had recently have been. It was definitely more mellow but still very good, whatever it was.

Thread Information