Thread: Cover Letter Help

Default Cover Letter Help

I'm attempting to land an internship at Marriott this summer, and need to complete a cover letter to accompany my resume. This would be my first 'corporate' position, and the first time I've written a cover letter, so I'm a total noob about the whole process. I would love to hear some comments + critiques on my draft below. Thanks in advance for any help:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Marriott International recently celebrated its 80th anniversary, and, as Mr. JW Marriott pointed out, "It is no coincidence that we've chosen to celebrate the company's 80th anniversary through acts of service." It is more than evident that, as a business, Marriott strives not only for excellence in service to its customers, but in service to its community as well. I know that Marriott offers internships in both Sales and Front Office areas, and I am extremely interested in such an opportunity. As an intern with Marriott International, I would be honored to carry on in the company's tradition of not only the pinnacle of customer satisfaction, but of community relationships and service as well.

Just like Mr. JW Marriott, I too am an Eagle Scout, and the importance of service in one's community has been instilled in me my whole life. I'm majoring in International Business and minoring in Spanish, and working in the hospitality industry has always been something that greatly interested me. I see no better target than Marriott. Having already taken years of Business and Spanish courses at college, an internship at Marriott would allow me to directly apply my knowledge and skills (thus benefiting a renowned company) while simultaneously providing me with a unique growth opportunity.Marriott needs dedicated workers that can contribute positively to the organization, while building upon a foundation of ethics and duty. I am such a worker. It is clear that an internship with your company would be the start of an extended and prosperous relationship between myself, Marriott, and the greater community.

Attached you will find my resume, which details my previous work experience, educational background, and noteworthy skills and abilities. I would very much like to meet with you to further discuss my qualifications, and to ascertain how I can best become a member of the Marriott team. Thank you for your time; I eagerly await your reply.

Sincerely,

Jonathan Fellows

(Signature)

5927 Conway Road
    Bethesda, MD 20817
    Phone: 703-220-3113
    Last edited by JFellows; 05-31-2007 at 08:24 PM.

I'll have my wife look at it soon (she does stuff like this for a living).

One thing I can tell you is that a cover letter shouldn't be a re-hash of your resume. Talk more about why you chose the company, not why the company should choose you. People will see the resume anyways so why state things twice.

spiffy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spiffykyle View Post
    I'll have my wife look at it soon (she does stuff like this for a living).

One thing I can tell you is that a cover letter shouldn't be a re-hash of your resume. Talk more about why you chose the company, not why the company should choose you. People will see the resume anyways so why state things twice.

spiffy
    I agree that is not exactly what a cover letter is suppose to read like too much information on what they all ready know about themselves. It suppose to be a synopsis of your resume with a splash of creativity importing some of your personality. But I am pretty old and times have changed lets see what his wife says. You have some grammatical errors too and if I see them you know there must be more. This room use to be very good at picking up errors.
    Good luck it sounds like fun!

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Quote Originally Posted by cinda View Post
    You have some grammatical errors too and if I see them you know there must be more.
    Please point them out! I didn't notice any, but that's why I posted it here; I need a few new sets of eyes.

Also, speaking of grammatical/spelling errors, you may want to say "Go Red Sox", not "Go Red Sox's".
    Last edited by JFellows; 05-31-2007 at 09:30 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JFellows View Post
    Please point them out! I didn't notice any, but that's why I posted it here; I need a few new sets of eyes.

Also, speaking of grammatical/spelling errors, you may want to say "Go Red Sox", not "Go Red Sox's".
    Now I am not going to tell you.....

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Thread Information