Thread: recalibrate the hygrometer-pls help

1. Question recalibrate the hygrometer-pls help

Hi,
    I was told by a cigar shop to recalibrate your hygrometer. This is what the cigar shop told me to do.

"A simple test which will recalibrate you hygrometer, wrap the hygrometer in a damp cloth for half hour and the reading should be 100%. If not adjust the hygrometer dial to read 100% and place it back in the humidor, this should then give you an accurate reading. You should recalibrate your hygrometer every six months"

I wrapped the hygrometer in a damp cloth for half hour but I could only get the reading to 92.

Is that ok? Also how do I adjust the hygrometer dial to read 100%?

Your best bet would be to get a digital hygrometer and use a Boveda calibration kit every year or so.

3. Default

Hi,
    Thanks for the reply. What is a Boveda calibration kit? ALso I'm using de-ionised water-is that ok?
    Last edited by EWan154; 06-03-2007 at 06:22 PM. Reason: frogot to add something.

Yeah I would think that water is ok since it has been purified. I don't have any experience with it though, I have only used distilled water in Viper's beads:

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=14

He also is selling the calibration kits:

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=23

And one stop shopping:

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=10

Using the beads will be one of the best things you can do for your personal storage.

yeah, the salt test or calibration kit is preferable to the damp cloth test... also, not all hydros are adjustable... sometimes you just gotta jot down how many % points your hydro is off and add or subtract that many from whatever the reading is..

also, where the hell are you getting de-ionised water? unless thats the same as distilled water... the only place i've heard the term 'de-ionised water' was in a chem. lab... in just about any drug store you can pick up a gallon of 'distilled' water for a couple bucks or less... its right there with the regular bottled water. anyone know the difference between de-ionised and distilled water?

Blog Entries

Get a digital and calibrate it using this...Herfers Guide to Setting up the Humidor
    Last edited by Lopaka; 06-03-2007 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    Get a digital and calibrate it using this...Herfers Guide to Setting up the Humidor
    Take this guys advice!

I got a digital hygrometer at Wally World for like $7. Did the salt test and it was 3% low. Now my little humi is runnin' like a charm.

Plus I have beads on the way for my inevitable coolerdor.

spiffy

Quote Originally Posted by ReV View Post
    anyone know the difference between de-ionised and distilled water?
    This was discussed in a different thread, deionized water has just been run through a filter where distilled water has been evaporated and re-collect without impurities...they both are cleaner than regular tap.

Quote Originally Posted by cls515 View Post
    This was discussed in a different thread, deionized water has just been run through a filter where distilled water has been evaporated and re-collect without impurities...they both are cleaner than regular tap.
    right-o, so i guess deionized would work fine as well...

Deionized water pretty much takes out all the minerals from water. The only thing deionizing would leave behind is organic compounds, so if its been filtered as well, you should be fine. Deionized water is used in lab experiments almost as much as distilled water.

spiffy

12. Default

hi,
    thanks for all the replies

Thinking about buying this Digital Thermo-Hygrometer-do you think it would be any good?

http://www.simplycigars.co.uk/credo-...ded-p-689.html

I have two Credos in my coolidor now. I wouldn't go with anything else, the accuracy is very good.

14. Default

I have two Credos in my coolidor now. I wouldn't go with anything else, the accuracy is very good.
    Thanks

15. Default

I have just done the salt test,will post the results back tomorrow

16. Default

Got the results back for the salt test. The hygrometer is at 75

Thread Information