Thread: How to Smoke a Cigar?

1. Question How to Smoke a Cigar?

I realize that you shouldn’t inhale, hold a Cigar like one would a cigarette, etc. My question is should I hold it in my mouth and drag on it every moment or two? Or, should I place it in my mouth only when I wish to draw from it? For example, my Father used to love to “chew” (hold them in his mouth) the cigars as well a s smoke them. However, I tend to not like it when a Cigar unravels in my mouth due to saliva. Thanks for you assistance!

Personally i dont like holding the cigar in my mouth and from what i read you not supposed to either(but that could be more opinion then fact).. What i do is i only put it up to my mouth when i draw from it when its not in my mouth its laying flat in my ashtray waiting... I read that this allows it to burn more evenly as well.. Plus cigar smoke stings like hell when it goes in your eyes...

Do whatever gives you the most enjoyment. It's easy to try different techniques and there's nothing to stop you from changing later on. If you feel that you want to hold it like a cigarette, do it. If you want to chew on it, or put mustard and ketchup on it and eat it, do it (ok... maybe not that, but you get the idea.) It's all about personal preference and what gives you the most enjoyment out of smoking.

Your style will develop the more you smoke. My started off all over the place as I figured out what I was most comfortable with, and by now it is second nature, I don't even think about it.

I light up, then I hold in left or right hand, depending on my mood, then I puff on it gently about once per minute and swirl the smoke around in my mouth, exhaling in a cloud or a stream as the fancy hits me. I don't keep it in my mouth, as it gets too wet and I can't draw on it anymore.

So just smoke cigars and figure out what feels right for you.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

i basically just hold mine the whole time and if i need my hands for something else, i set it flat on an ashtray... my friend hold his in his mouth all the time and gets them dripping wet... i hate that, but he likes it... so its really how much you like it.

also, how bout a nice intro and what not.. tell us who you are and what you smoke...

Yeah its all up to whoever is smoking it. I for one pretty much hold it the whole time, maybe set it down if I have to hit the head. Take a drag about once a min, sometimes I blow out inbetween drags, gets the stall smoke out or not LOL. Sounds like you dad had the right ideal, what ever it takes to enjoy the hell out of it!

Yeah, smoking a cigar is really for the enjoyment of it. No need to copy your dad, your friend, or whoever and see how you should be smoking a cigar. You will get to a certain groove on how you yourself will enjoy a cigar.

Sometimes, whenever I'm smoking a Churchill, I enjoy leaving the cigar in my mouth and just smelling the aroma of the blue smoking coming out. I like to bite on the end at times, not too sure if it's to hold it while I talk to someone so it won't fall, or what, but I tend to do it now and then.

Smoke a couple more cigars and find your own niche. Good luck.

Andrew

I do hold mine in my mouth a lot of the time. I sort of hold it with my teeth, as I don't like for it to get too wet and nasty. My suggestion is do what makes you feel comfortable, don't hold it in hand or mouth if it makes you feel odd. Also, don't think about it too much, for me smoking a cigar is a moment to not have to worry about things, not trade out one worry for another.

Just my $.02

Blog Entries

Like everybody above has said, do what you enjoy and is comfortable for YOU!! Smoking cigars isn't about a "method", imho, its about an experience......and whatever lets you have the best experience you can, at that time, with that cigar, is the way to go.

Hell, I sometimes bite the cap off, don't toast the foot, and light up with a bic lighter............and it hits the spot just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    ...Hell, I sometimes bite the cap off, don't toast the foot, and light up with a bic lighter............and it hits the spot just as well.

Geez, do you eat raw chicken, too?

Chris' Basic Rules of Smoking

1) Keep lit end out of mouth
    2) Don't let the hot ash drop onto unprotected skin
    3) Never inhale
    4) Don't scorch mustache trying to relight a cigar with a max length of 1.5"
    5) Try to look as cool as possible
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    Geez, do you eat raw chicken, too?
    Only the slow ones!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post

3) Never inhale
    LMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post

3) Never inhale
    and a few more (great list by the way):

6) never put the grey end in your mouth
    7)if using a torch lighter, check how long the flame is before putting cigar in mouth and pointing lighter at the foot.
    8)Never share cigars.. It's grossly unhygenic. (Three guys came into my B&M the other day and shared one cigar........)
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Thread Information