Thread: Member Only Cigar Clubs...

Default Member Only Cigar Clubs...

I'm curious to know if any of you belong to a 'Cigar Club' in your home city?

Mainly, I'm looking to see if you find value in the club, if membership rates are reasonable, what city it's in, what are the primary benefits of the club in your opinion, etc...

Thanks,

Mark

I know of a new one in Katy and one in Sugar Land (both near Houston) but at $800 to $1,000 a year thats a little rich for my blood so thats about all I know about them.

Thanks Tex,

Appreciate the response...

Out of curiosity, if it were 3-4 hundred annually, would that change your mind? Is it solely a price thing, or could you care less to join a club to be able to smoke in a posh environment.

Cheers,

Mark

I love my local B&M and his has a very nice sitting area with a TV and Golden Tee arcade game all for free. Plus if needed he lockers inside his more than BIG walk in humidor for $100 a year. On top of that the Private Club in Katy is the upstairs of a cigar bar, so I can just sit downstairs wuth friends and enjoy it just as much if not more. I guess if that was the ONLY way I could go somewhere nice and smoke I may join a club but thats just not the case around here.

Hey TX,

Sounds fair, I don't blame you, looks as though you've a really nice set up as it is...

Maybe I ought to move to TX? Hmmmm....:)

Cheers,

Mark

Due to the implementation of non-smoking laws, The Metropolitan Cigar Society (a not for profit corp) had to act. In March of 2006 we formed an LLC, The Metropolitan Society and embarked on setting up a private, members only, cigar club.

Without going into too many details, we rented 4200 sq ft in a commercial complex; away from prying eyes. We now boast of over 150 members.

Our annual dues are 410.00 which includes a large humidified locker where you can store cigars, booze, etc.

We do have a 5.00 daily use charge if you come in. Based on that, we bill 20.00 minimum per month and 50.00 maximum. Also, members have access 24/7. Guest fees are 10.00.

We also have monthly catered dinners in our La Cubana Room, 40.00 for members/50.00 for guests. We always have either a cigar or liquor rep come and give a talk and hand out free stuff plus raffles of premium cigars and accessories.

The club is much more than just cigars. We have a main lounge with a 42" plasma tv, wireless internet and plush furnishings. Our game room has a full size pool table, 42" plasma tv, two poker tables, a texas holdum and dominoes table and dart boards. Also, we have a small kitchen facility.

We are in the process of setting up a business networking system for our members.

It not only has become a real sanctuary for cigar smokers but a great social setting. You never know who you are going to meet when you come in. You could be chatting with a PHD, a Chief of Detectives, a Firefighter, a plumber, etc. Our members come from all walks of life.

Cigars bring people together who otherwise would not have met.

Roscoe
    The Metropolitan Society
    http://www.metrocigar.com
    Last edited by roscoe; 06-27-2007 at 06:55 AM.
    "Crisis occurs when women and cattle get excited"...James Thurber

We have a group set up. If you pay per month its 10$ or 100$ for the year. We have monthly meetings where we always get food, BYOB, and some good cigars. Also members get an additional 5% off box prices.

Roscoe/Merlin,

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated...

Thankfully, the city of Milwaukee hasn't fallen prey to this whole smoking ban nonsense, but Madison, WI did. About a year ago now...Silly.

Roscoe, I've seen your web-site...I tell you what, if I lived in NJ, I'd join. No questions asked...great deal, lots to do, etc...

Again, thank you both for your commentary.

Cheers,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    I know of a new one in Katy and one in Sugar Land (both near Houston) but at $800 to $1,000 a year thats a little rich for my blood so thats about all I know about them.
    I know of the two you are talking about. They are both very expensive, and unless you're going to really use the lounge often, it's just not worth it. Luckily, I have a shop I go to constantly, The Smoke Ring, in Sugar Land, Texas, and their lounge is 100% free.

I wish more cigar shops would see the benefit of having a small, free lounge; all it takes is 3-400sf of space, a few leather chairs and a nice TV with satellite TV and it buys you tons of customers and goodwill and business.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

10. Default

Red Cloud Cigars & Lounge
    Fullerton and Orange CA

The Fullerton location is currently the only one with a lounge, the Orange store is having red tape issues with the city about the lounge, but it's done and ready to pour as soon as issues are resolved.

The dues are currently $250/year for a single membership that gets you and 5 of your guests in. A locker is $900/year for 4 memberships, so you could get 4x5=20 guests in.

I currently hold a single membership, my dad and his buddies have had a locker there for 10+ years and have a locked in yearly membership of $300 total, DEAL and a half!

The Lounge is really nice, 72 in. HD tv, couches, tables, bar tables, large bar from ireland that's over 100 years old, 4 beers on tap, through frozen taps, very cool frost layer. A large scotch selection, and almost any liquor you could want. There is another "back" room that houses a large poker table, large HD tv, pool table, dart board, large hand carved chess table plus many bartables and chairs, 32 in tv's in every corner, 2 bathrooms.

The front of the store is open to the public, has 3 antique barber chairs, the humidor is large with a great selection, but they need to get Pepin brands in there. The prices are normal SoCal inflated rates, and you're supposed to only smoke cigars you buy there, but some do slip through the cracks.

There's also at least one event every month where members and their guests get at least on free featured cigar with prizes and giveaways. Cigar tastings, Beer tastings, Scotch tastings, etc.

All in all a great place to get away.

Thread Information