Thread: Waif Java by Drew Estate

Thumbs up Waif Java by Drew Estate

Waif Java by Drew Estate

The Java by Drew Estate is a joint production between Drew Estate and Rocky Patel. A name like Java is a dead give away on what flavors Drew Estate has infused in this cigar. The Waif is definitely one of the most unique shapes I've seen for a cigar. The best description I've heard so far was it looked like a maduro tongue depressor.

My first concern when seeing this cigar is that it would have extremely bad draw problems or issues with the wrapper, but my concerns were unjustified. Each one that I've tried the draw was great. The Waif's small size makes it easy to light and get an even burn. The cigar does round out a bit as it burns but I didn't have any issues with the wrapper at all.

Where this cigar excels is flavor, the balance between the tobacco and infused flavors is amazing. Unlike most flavored cigars the Java by Drew Estate does not mask the tobacco flavor. The first thing you notice is that this cigar has been sweetened at least on the cap. This may be a plus or a turn off depending on your preferences, I have a bit of sweet tooth so it didn't bother me. Anyone who has smoked an ACID by Drew Estate knows that you do not taste the tobacco until you are about half way through the cigar. The Java is a different experience the coffee and tobacco flavors hit from the get go. The tobacco flavor of this cigar reminds me heavily of the Rocky Patel Vintage series with the obvious additions of coffee and a stronger chocolate flavor.

This cigar is not a nicotine bomb and could easily be smoked on an empty stomach. Smoke it as a pick me up with your morning coffee and newspaper or an after dinner dessert cigar. I'm not real fond of flavored cigars but this one does have a good balance between the tobacco blend and the infused coffee flavors that make the Waif Java by Drew Estate a truly enjoyable cigar. Rating: 7.5 of 10

SFG75 Guest

Thanks a million for posting this, I'm a coffee fiend and your description has me very curious about this. Have you tried one of the Mayorga coffee-infused cigar tins? They are absolutely to die for. Oh man, the only thing that would be just as good on a hot Nebraska day would be coffee popsicles.

SFG75 Guest

BTW, allow me to recommend:

http://www.coffeeforums.com

i have a java in my humi. not the waif, though. its about a 6 x 48 i think. smells wonderful. just haven't had the desire to smoke it yet

I've had the Mayorga Coffee Infused which are also made by Drew Estates. I think you can taste more of the tobacco flavor in the Java and it isn't near as sweet.

I tried the Java but not the Wafe or Waif (which is it?) I think I bought my wife the corona . .. the smalest one that is not the Wafe or Waif

I was impressed (and I am not a flavoered cigar smoker) It had a very pleasant but not overpowering coffee flavor and I think a hint of chocolate.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

I've seen both Waif and Wafe. When I see it on the Rocky Patel Site or Drew Estate Site I'll use what they have. When I get the chance I'll check an actual box of them.

Question Good Website?

where would be a good site to purchase some of these fine cigars?

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JRas224
    where would be a good site to purchase some of these fine cigars?
    Hmmmm,

-Box of 40 Waifs for $160.00
    http://www.payless-cigars.com/items....=1&styleid=561

-A tadbit better, $137.00
    http://www.bighumidor.com/showitem.c...ew_Estate.html

Probably better prices around the $90-$100.00 range, just a matter of looking harder.

10. Default

Tried one at a local shop. Good flavored cigar worth about $50 to $75 a box of 25. Flavored cigars are so - so at best IMHO
    The older I get ,the better I was

Watch CBid you can find good deals occasionally on this stuff.

12. Default

Greetings, I paid $5.00 for the small size, slightly bigger than the uniquely shaped Waif. I was a bit ambitious as it didn't appear to be much of a smoke for $5, but I went ahead and tried one as I am a fan of drew estate's cigars (but slowly growing tired of them).

I smoked this cigar at night right before I went to bed, which is my favorite time to smoke flavored cigars next to right when I wake up, around 4-5am. Like most drew estate cigars I did not like this at first. I hated acid and natural when I first tried them but forced myself to continue and explore the line that I had been infatuated in since I was a young lad reading about them in my father's Thompson catalogs (just to clarify, besides the 4 bundle/humidor set my mother bought me for my eighteenth birthday, I do not shop with thompsons). Back to the point, It wasn't until about half way down the stick that I actually enjoyed the smoke. To me it seemed like I was smoking a marshmellow. It tasted creamy, but not the buttery creamy goodiness of many cigars, more like smoking the dry creamer that you put in your coffee. I am a fan of Mayorga as well and these have a completely different personality.

Although I initially didn't like it, I would deffinately try one again and would possibly consider purchasing a box of 24 if the price was right.

BTW, This is my first post here and I have enjoyed following the reviews given here and making my purchases based upon your suggestions. Grasias.

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by entheomation
    Greetings, I paid $5.00 for the small size, slightly bigger than the uniquely shaped Waif. I was a bit ambitious as it didn't appear to be much of a smoke for $5, but I went ahead and tried one as I am a fan of drew estate's cigars (but slowly growing tired of them).

I smoked this cigar at night right before I went to bed, which is my favorite time to smoke flavored cigars next to right when I wake up, around 4-5am. Like most drew estate cigars I did not like this at first. I hated acid and natural when I first tried them but forced myself to continue and explore the line that I had been infatuated in since I was a young lad reading about them in my father's Thompson catalogs (just to clarify, besides the 4 bundle/humidor set my mother bought me for my eighteenth birthday, I do not shop with thompsons). Back to the point, It wasn't until about half way down the stick that I actually enjoyed the smoke. To me it seemed like I was smoking a marshmellow. It tasted creamy, but not the buttery creamy goodiness of many cigars, more like smoking the dry creamer that you put in your coffee. I am a fan of Mayorga as well and these have a completely different personality.

Although I initially didn't like it, I would deffinately try one again and would possibly consider purchasing a box of 24 if the price was right.

BTW, This is my first post here and I have enjoyed following the reviews given here and making my purchases based upon your suggestions. Grasias.

Nice review!. Welcome to CSmokers by the way.

Thread Information