Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cigar Store

Blog Entries

Default Cigar Store

Alright, I have been thinking about this for quite some time now, and I'm fed up enough with working to line "the mans" pockets that I'm writing my business plan, consolidating capital, and trying to figure out how to get started with a B/M of my very own.

Locally there are 3 discount cigar stores that also sell ciggarettes, pipes, tobacco, etc.....and 2 "upscale" tobacco shops with basically the same line up of merchandise....maybe more lines of cigars than the discounters, better conversation and assistance than the discounters, but that's about the only difference.

Along with the b/m's, there is only one, that's right ONE, cigar bar in town. NONE of the b/m's have a smoking area where you can sit, smoke, chat, etc.......and this is what I hope to exploit.

I've researched local laws, and a smoking area is allowed, especially since there won't be any food or drinks sold initially and it will be strictly a tobacco store. I'm thinking of finding a site that will allow for expansion from a b/m to a sports bar/ b&m.....but I want to start out with the smoking lounge on-site.

I would like to know what things about your local b/m you really enjoy.....what type of "attractions" do they offer? Free coffee? Newspapers and magazines to read? Wireless internet? I'm looking for stuff that I could open with that won't require me to have a 1/2 million dollar bankroll to get started. I also don't know how to get in with the cigar manufacturers, distributors, etc........or what kind of expense in start up cigar inventory I am looking at.

If any retailers can give me a hand there, I would appreciate it. PM me with any suggestions and advice. Thanks in advance.

Wireless internet would be great. It the people are friendly and knowledgeable, it makes for a nice experience as well. Not sure what the local laws and regulations are like in your area, but I really like the idea of a private club and a BYOB policy. Even if it is just a nominal charge to gain "private club" status. A cash bar would be nice as well with a nice selection of scotch/beer/rum, etc.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

What Drew said. Gotta have some kind of way for patrons to BYOB. Some type of coffee bar would be a nice touch imho. You dont have to have anything elaborate. Just a couple of leather sofas and a TV on the wall will get guys to hang out. Most guys hang out for the company not the amenities in my experience. Good luck!

A Friendly and Respectful Fucking Staff. Granted, I'm young, but when I get harassed, followed around constantly like I'm going to steal something, or treated rudely/like I don't know anything about cigars, not only am I going to hold a personal grudge against a store, but I'll be sure to tell others not to go there as well. It's inexcusable (and a dumb idea) to treat ANY B/M customer with a lack of respect, after realizing how many things B/Ms have going against them already (taxes, anti-smoking legal discrimination, the customers' ability to buy cigars online for cheaper, etc). All I ask for is a friendly conversation with the proprietor, possibly a suggestion on a new blend to try, and a simple "thank you" when I go to pay.

First of all, you need a handsome young man as "the face" for the store.

Now that that's squared away, I just look for a nice place to sit and talk. My B&M is just some nice chairs with a tv that we never watch. He also has a very nice selection of imports & microbrews. And next Sunday starts our Beer Club. But most of all is the friendship that he and I have now. We work together on getting new lines in. If he tries to contact a company with no response, I'll call and ask if they sell any where in MS and tell them the only decent shop in my area is his. That speeds things up a little bit. Worked with Tatuaje and Illiosoune (sp?).

It's seems to be good product and good conversation are gonna be the two biggest sellers.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it. Your comments are right along the lines that I expected them to be. I certainly hope to provide an atmosphere that will make people want to hang out and chat and smoke. That's what is lacking at the existing stores.

Being new to cigars myself, just over a year smoking them, I am trying to absorb as much information and knowledge as I can......so the "knowledgeable" staff may be somewhat lacking to start with, but there will be no lack of courtesy and effort put forth to make the customers happy........I just won't have this huge wealth of knowledge to draw from. I mean, I know what I like, but I won't have smoked every cigar that will be in my humidor....unless I start with a very limited inventory.

I think that wireless thing is a great idea!

I go to my B&M for 1 of 2 reasons. Either to try a new cigar / get a recommendation, or because I want to smoke in a comfortable environment and talk with the other people there.

If they had WiFi I would most definitely be there with a laptop doing some work. Now that I am going to be traveling alot for work, this seems like a great thing to find wherever I end up going. You'd need a seperate area for that though, maybe a table or two.

I remember the bar at the student union where I went to school had WiFi in it. During the day it was a great place to hang out and study/work and smoke/drink (before the NY smoking ban).

Good luck man!!

spiffy

Houston, Texas But to a more refined point. 3423 La Seine Lane Spring, TX 77388

Quote Originally Posted by JFellows View Post
    A Friendly and Respectful Fucking Staff. Granted, I'm young, but when I get harassed, followed around constantly like I'm going to steal something, or treated rudely/like I don't know anything about cigars, not only am I going to hold a personal grudge against a store, but I'll be sure to tell others not to go there as well. It's inexcusable (and a dumb idea) to treat ANY B/M customer with a lack of respect, after realizing how many things B/Ms have going against them already (taxes, anti-smoking legal discrimination, the customers' ability to buy cigars online for cheaper, etc). All I ask for is a friendly conversation with the proprietor, possibly a suggestion on a new blend to try, and a simple "thank you" when I go to pay.
    Dude i love you.. lol. you spoke my mind to the fullest of my feelin on that situation..

1. Relaxing atmosphere.
    2. Helpful/Nice employees.
    3. WiFi.
    4. BYOB

I was thinking about starting my own B/M her also, but the amount to lease property here wouldn't make it feasable. That's why all the local B&M in Northern VA mark up their cigars, rent is too expensive.

Having WiFi and BYOB will create that enviroment where people would like to actually stay there long periods of time and just relax. With more customers staying longer, they'll tend to buy more cigars and smoke it there on the spot.

Another idea (might want to make sure you can do this) is to have private rooms with a table. You can rent it out for free for 1 hour or 2 to anyone who purchases $100+ worth of cigars. So, local customers who have weekly poker games can use that room to play poker. You are just providing a room and a table (whether normal table or a felt table), so the customer would have to bring their own poker chips and cards. 6-8 players, that's new customers for the store and you get business for the 2-3 hours they are there drinking and smoking.

There are a lot of ways to improve on a B&M. Just as long as you have cheap rent, and a great selections, it will be successful.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyCold5 View Post
    Another idea (might want to make sure you can do this) is to have private rooms with a table. You can rent it out for free for 1 hour or 2 to anyone who purchases $100+ worth of cigars. So, local customers who have weekly poker games can use that room to play poker. You are just providing a room and a table (whether normal table or a felt table), so the customer would have to bring their own poker chips and cards. 6-8 players, that's new customers for the store and you get business for the 2-3 hours they are there drinking and smoking.
    That is a great idea. Like many of the others here who have answered, I go for conversation, to get out of the house, try new cigars. I think the BYOB is a great idea, a TV with the NFL or NBA package would be a great idea. A lounge is a must in my eyes. WiFi sounds nice, I think my B&M has it but I never use it. Coffee is a goiod idea. And then the obvious: selection good help, and atmosphere. WOXOF is right about a lounge needing nothing more then a sofa or two and a tv.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Blog Entries

O.K.......haven't found suitable property that I can afford. Was thinking of naming the place Ashauler's........yep, I'm not very imaginative. Does it sound alright?

I'm going to make the retail section seperate from the "members" area. In the retail section I will have a relatively small smoking area, newspapers, magazines, coffee and soda.

In the members area there will be a TV, leather sofa and recliners, wi-fi, a couple of tables with some comfy chairs for those that want to spread out and work a little on the intenet or whatever.......I'm trying to find some kind of portable tables or something that will work for people on the sofas that want to work on their laptops and don't want them in their actual laps. Humidified lockers and lockable individual liquor cabinets will be available.

What is the typical fee that is charged for the memberships to places like this? What do you guys feel is reasonable? Base it on a monthly fee with options to pay by the year? Tiered memberships of some type, or one price gets all?

Thanks for the help everybody.

The name might make people think it is a gay bar. I've always read it as Ass-Hauler, even though it's clear on a cigar forum that you probably meant the S and H to stick together, Ash-auler.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU View Post
    The name might make people think it is a gay bar. I've always read it as Ass-Hauler, even though it's clear on a cigar forum that you probably meant the S and H to stick together, Ash-auler.
    ah, never read it like that. i, too, always read it as ass hauler. i just thought maybe you drove around fast.

my screen name should actually read 'chefch ris'. In German it means, "Has the strength of gorilla, that has the strength of five gorilla".
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU View Post
    Wow, never thought of it like that.......don't want to get confused with a gay bar for sure.....I'll have to reconsider. Maybe I'll hold a contest.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    O.K.......haven't found suitable property that I can afford. Was thinking of naming the place Ashauler's........yep, I'm not very imaginative. Does it sound alright?

I'm going to make the retail section seperate from the "members" area. In the retail section I will have a relatively small smoking area, newspapers, magazines, coffee and soda.

In the members area there will be a TV, leather sofa and recliners, wi-fi, a couple of tables with some comfy chairs for those that want to spread out and work a little on the intenet or whatever.......I'm trying to find some kind of portable tables or something that will work for people on the sofas that want to work on their laptops and don't want them in their actual laps. Humidified lockers and lockable individual liquor cabinets will be available.

What is the typical fee that is charged for the memberships to places like this? What do you guys feel is reasonable? Base it on a monthly fee with options to pay by the year? Tiered memberships of some type, or one price gets all?

Thanks for the help everybody.
    From what I've seen a lot of places charge a monthly/yearly fee, as well as a per use fee. The monthly makes you a member and then you only pay as much as it is used. Usually with a max and a min for each month.

Sounds like you have some great ideas already.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Like others have said, it more about the atmosphere and staff than anything else. In my area there is a smaller B&M, that I would go visit mainly to support the small businesses. I found that there weren't always as friendly and helpful as one of the others in town. I now just go to the one that has the friendly staff. One other thing that I enjoy is they have events usually on Thursday nights, it cost $5 to get in the door, but you get a smoke or two out of it and a coupon on your purchase that night, there are reps from cigar brands come in and do the normal stuff. Good luck man, I wish you all the success in the world.

Renting/leasing humidor normally range from $25-$250 per month. I noticed the closer you get to the city (Washington, DC) the higher the humidor lease in the B&Ms here.

I say, if they rent/lease a humidor, they should have membership to all that is available. They'll be your "whale", since most likely they'll be your big spenders when it comes to cigars. Separate them in Tiers. Members shelling out $100-$200 month to get a in-house humidor will be Tier A.

Tier B would be regular members who don't want to shell out $100+ for humidor space, but would like to use the Wi-Fi, sit on the couch, watch tv, etc. Charge $50/month or less.

Normaly foot-traffic or now and again customers that don't want to pay for membership can sit on the chairs that are available at the retail section. Get water or soda (they need to pay for it obviously), etc.

This sounds like a great idea. LOL. Hope you don't hold it against another BOTL for opening it up in their own state.

Andrew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyCold5 View Post
    Renting/leasing humidor normally range from $25-$250 per month. I noticed the closer you get to the city (Washington, DC) the higher the humidor lease in the B&Ms here.

I say, if they rent/lease a humidor, they should have membership to all that is available. They'll be your "whale", since most likely they'll be your big spenders when it comes to cigars. Separate them in Tiers. Members shelling out $100-$200 month to get a in-house humidor will be Tier A.

Tier B would be regular members who don't want to shell out $100+ for humidor space, but would like to use the Wi-Fi, sit on the couch, watch tv, etc. Charge $50/month or less.

Normaly foot-traffic or now and again customers that don't want to pay for membership can sit on the chairs that are available at the retail section. Get water or soda (they need to pay for it obviously), etc.

This sounds like a great idea. LOL. Hope you don't hold it against another BOTL for opening it up in their own state.

Andrew
    WOOT....I smell franchise opportunity......naw, just kidding, though that is where the money is. I checked out getting a Tinderbox franchise, but the minimum liquid cash investment was 65,000 - 85,000 and the minimum cash available through financing had to be 275,000....way out of my league.

19. Default

What about something like a live music night. Charge a few bucks at the door and have a live band or dj. Get some 6 foot heros or have some food catered. Make it a once a week or once a month thing.

There is a place about 2 hours north of where i live that has a nice smoking lounge. It's a little bar that sells cigars and stuff so not quite what you're looking at doing but at night it has nice turned down lights and there are really comfortable leather couches and stuff with some corner fireplaces situated around and they have a live music deal where one guy comes in with an acoustic electric guitar and plays. Very nice relaxing atmosphere, exactly what you need when smoking a good cigar. Just an idea man.
    "I'm a leaf on the wind watch how I soar."
    Hoban Washburn

Thread Information