Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread

Columbus/Canton, OH (home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame!!!)

If you haven't gotten a chance to try it yet give Samuel Adams Black Lager a chance. I tried this last night and loved it. Full flavor, nice and smooth, and very complex. It came in a variety pack with Honey Porter and Irish Red as well. The Irish Red was alright but a little bitter to me though. Jury is still out on the Honey Porter.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffTheMagicDragon View Post
    I like the creaminess of Boddingtons Pub Ale and the thickness of a Sam Smith Outmeal Stout. I also am a big fan of New Castle Brown Ale and Blue Moon unfiltered wheat.
    "Prost" Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout is a fantastic beer. Their Tadcaster Porter is also very good. If you like darker beers, New Belgium's 1554 is a great beer as wel..

OAK AGED BOURBON PORTER - If that tastes as good as it reads I want one!

Newbie here, just started reading a bit... Was gonna grab a Sam Smith Nut Brown
    tonight with a CAO L'Anniverarie Cammy while watching the ALCS, but this Bourbon
    Porter sounds like the Shizzel!!

First Post... Glad to join y'all...

Quote Originally Posted by wild View Post
    The selling of bad beer is a crime against Christian love. -- Law, the City of Augsburg, 13th Century

I'm definately a fan of beer. Currently I have:
    In the bottle:
    Chimay Grande Réserve
    Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
    Hercule
    La Moinette Blonde
    Bigfoot Barley Wine

On Tap -
    Mirror Pond Pale Ale Clone
    Oak Aged Bourbon Porter
    Espresso Imperial Stout
    Obsidian Stout Clone

Primary - Vanilla Wildflower Mead
    Secondary - American Red Ale

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jamler View Post

tonight with a CAO L'Anniverarie Cammy while watching the ALCS, but this Bourbon

Welcome to the forum Jamler! Start up a thread and introduce yourself to everyone!

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jamler View Post

Welcome to the board....what do you like to smoke? Other then the CAO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wild View Post
    Primary - Vanilla Wildflower Mead
    Secondary - American Red Ale
    Just out of curiosity, as I've seen it on other boards, but what does "Primary" and "Secondary" mean?

I was in Portland weekend before last and found a microbrew in a can. I didn't have my wallet or anything, but wished I did. I think microbrews would be much better if they were in the can.

Does anyone else have access to Deschutes Brewery beers?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Primary is where your fermentation takes place. A secondary is often (wrongly) called a fermenter, but no fermentation should take place. Some people use it as a clearing tank. You move the beer off the sediment in your primary. Secondarys can be used for long term aging or I use them to make extra additions to my beer - coffee, chocolate, chicory, etc ...

Here's my line up.

Primary:
    Coffee Malt Stout
    Coffee/Chicory Stout

Secondary:
    Robust Porter

Bottled:
    Nut Brown Ale
    Gamera's Double Chocolate Stout
    Hall & Oatmeal Stout
    Sweet Stout
    Christmas Ale

Blog Entries

As for beers, my all time favorite is Skinny Dip by New Belgium. It's a summer seasonal, so it's only available in the summer, but it as very refreshing with some great flavors. I am spolied here in CO to have New Belgium Brewery in state and get all of their beers. You guys should try all New Belgium brews you can find and also Odell's which is another Ft. Collins brewery. Good Stuff!
    Smoke em' if you got em'

+1 on CO. I had the opportunity to stay in Cherry Creek this past summer and tasted several of the offering around there. I loved seeing all of the hops growing along the creek. Makes me want to go back during picking season.
    Secondary isn't always a misnomer. I not only use it to finalize my primary fermentation, I also use it for clearing, additional adjuncts, and I may also toss in some more of the same yeast strain just before bottling or kegging a real ale.
    Wild

On Tap -

1. Red IPA
    2. Extreme Red

Secondary - Mesquite Bourbon Mead

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind." - Humphrey Bogart

The local place finally got a shipment of Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout in...I paid $9.99 for a 6er. I'm looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by JFellows View Post
    The local place finally got a shipment of Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout in...I paid $9.99 for a 6er. I'm looking forward to it!
    Ah sweet! I talked to a rep a couple weeks ago and he said they should be shipping out soon. I this beer.

I just picked up a 6er of Tommyknocker Imperial Nut Brown Ale and a Cappucinto Stout by Lagunitas.

I love Florida.

Brooklyn Brewery is awesome. If you haven't already, you should go on a road trip to visit it. I'll even meet you there. It's a good time.

Blog Entries

We have probably 6 breweries in this small little town I live in Oregon. Some are really good, some aren't. I've spent at least a month in upstate NY for the past three years (this past year excluded), and have really become fond of Magic Hat. We just don't see it out here.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    We have probably 6 breweries in this small little town I live in Oregon. Some are really good, some aren't. I've spent at least a month in upstate NY for the past three years (this past year excluded), and have really become fond of Magic Hat. We just don't see it out here.

magic hat is one of my favorites. That brewery is in Burlington, VT though. I can get pretty much any of their brews in NY. Most of time I see #9 and Circus Boy, but the others are around.

I'm envious. I've only been able to brew a clone of that beer without even tasting it. They just don't ship out here to the SouthWest.

+1 On the Cappucino Stout by Lagunitas, it's very tasty
    Last edited by wild; 10-31-2008 at 03:37 AM.
    Wild

On Tap -

1. Red IPA
    2. Extreme Red

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind." - Humphrey Bogart

Today I picked up a 6er of Bear Republic's Racer 5 IPA. I went through an IPA phase several years ago but haven't drank many IPAs recently; this purchase was the result of a strong recommendation of a friend (and the extremely high ratings this beer has gotten online). Time to see how it is!

Blog Entries

JFellows,

When I was living in so Cal, I went through an IPA stage, but some of the locally microbrewed IPA's were simply WAAAAY too hoppy for me. I've had a few up here in Oregon and they are a bit calmer; still with a strong hoppy taste, and you can still taste the beer inside.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of that one.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

My favorite is Chimay Grande Réserve (blue), and particularyl enjoy it with a cigar. I have not founs a Sam Adams that I did not like and I also love English microbrews. I lived in England for a couple months for work a few years back and I enjoyed the beers more than anything else. Smithwick's is also a favorite...

Would love to get my hands on some of Sam Adam's Utopias... Only the price has kept me from getting some so far...

Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    JFellows,

When I was living in so Cal, I went through an IPA stage, but some of the locally microbrewed IPA's were simply WAAAAY too hoppy for me. I've had a few up here in Oregon and they are a bit calmer; still with a strong hoppy taste, and you can still taste the beer inside.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of that one.
    Try the East coast IPAs. They tend to be less hoppy than their West coast counterparts.
    Wild

On Tap -

1. Red IPA
    2. Extreme Red

On the menu for me tonight:

Thread Information