Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer Thread

Default Beer Thread

Any beer lovers on here?

I am just getting into it. Seems to be the natural progression after Scotch. I just had some Big Rock espresso stout. It is a limited holiday release from the local brewery here in Calgary. Very nice. I also picked up a 6er of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from the Winter 07-08 release. Pretty hefty at 10.6% but apparently it drinks nicely. I was surprised to see it locally though. Apparently there are only 180 cases in all of Canada.

Espresso Stout
    Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

2. Default

Beer...The nectar of the Gods. Fall and Winter are the best times for beer lovers. All the full flavored seasonal releases are hitting the market.

I'll come back with a list of my favorites later.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    Beer...The nectar of the Gods. Fall and Winter are the best times for beer lovers. All the full flavored seasonal releases are hitting the market.

I'll come back with a list of my favorites later.
    Yup, I couldn't agree more. Nothing like a nice heavy beer on a cold winter or fall night. I'm a big fan of Sam Adam's Oktoberfest and Winter Spice seasonal beers.

Quote Originally Posted by derivation View Post
    Yup, I couldn't agree more. Nothing like a nice heavy beer on a cold winter or fall night. I'm a big fan of Sam Adam's Oktoberfest and Winter Spice seasonal beers.
    Got em on tap at my local hangout, I think. Fest for sure & I think I had the winter spice the other night. It was winter something. Fruity & light with a hint of sour. Gimme Bass & Guinness draft. And the Guinness should just be chilled. When I want a Guinness, I order something else & a Guinness. Gives the Guinness time to warm up. Always have one on standby coming up to temp.

So far Smithwick's is my favorite beer and is absolutely delicious.
    It's an Irish red ale by the makers of Guinness.

I'm going to agree with the Smithwick's. That's a good beer.
    Yuengling is nice. Nice and cheap. I found a Yuengling beer bottle at 108' a few months ago.
    Anything Shiner.
    Bass Ale
    Had a Dogfish Head Pumpkin something-or-nother last month. It was pretty good.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Yep, beer fan here too. PBR and Natty light for me.

J/K, I've been getting into the BIG beers for a while. I like the Belgian triples and recently really enjoyed some dopple bock and imperial stout.

Just checked the fridge. I've got Flying Dog "in heat wheat" Siera Nevada "pale ale" & Hobgoblin "dark english ale" in there. Anybody ever try Fat Tire? Been at the top of my list for a couple of years. Kinda gave up on ever seeing it east of the Mississippi.

Belgian Abbey Style Beers are my favorite! Try them all
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    Any beer lovers on here?

I am just getting into it. Seems to be the natural progression after Scotch. I just had some Big Rock espresso stout. It is a limited holiday release from the local brewery here in Calgary. Very nice. I also picked up a 6er of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from the Winter 07-08 release. Pretty hefty at 10.6% but apparently it drinks nicely. I was surprised to see it locally though. Apparently there are only 180 cases in all of Canada.

Espresso Stout
    I like the big rock grasshopper, not sure if they have any of the others around here.
    Blue moon belgian white is pretty damn good, had it when I was down in the states, havent ben able to find it here, although it is brewed in Toronto. Rickards white is also a great wheat beer, along with schneider weisse.
    Sleemans original draft is a great summer beer.

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    Any beer lovers on here?

Espresso Stout
    I like the big rock grasshopper, not sure if they have any of the others around here.
    Blue moon belgian white is pretty damn good, had it when I was down in the states, havent ben able to find it here, although it is brewed in Toronto (Atleast thats what the label said). Rickards white is also a great wheat beer, along with schneider weisse.
    I also really like Stella.

Quote Originally Posted by Kass View Post
    Blue moon belgian white is pretty damn good, had it when I was down in the states, havent ben able to find it here, although it is brewed in Toronto (Atleast thats what the label said). Rickards white is also a great wheat beer, along with schneider weisse.
    I also really like Stella.
    I love the Grasshopper as well as the XO which is a Pilsner. I actually had some Stella on the weekend when I was watching the game and forgot how good it was.

I am not a huge fan of the Rickard's White. I got a taster's pack over the summer and really only liked the Honey Brown.

All of the specialty and limited beers is just overwhelming now. The store that I frequent is one of the larger in province and seems to be able to get almost anything.

Beer is great. I like to try some of the local brews around me. The ones I like around Maryland are Clipper City (golden ale, and their heavy seas brands which are 8%+ beers). I also had a beer I liked when I visited Maine (Shipyard Pumpkin Head it tasted like pumpkin pie).

Shiner Bock is my go to beer, but when I'm living large, it's Duvel. Course most of the time I'm a Scotch man, drinking The Macallan 12 or 16, and I've also been known to buy a bottle of Bushmills single malt 16 as that is the finest Irish whiskey ever made.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Beer, and I mean good beer, is one of man's greatest achievements.

Drew, you mentioned the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout. I love that stuff. Every time I go to NYC we hit up the brewery. Last time I was there we ended up carrying home like 4 cases of the stuff on the subway.

McEwans Scotch Ale and also their IPA are probably my 2 favorites right now. I also like Boddingtons Pub Ale.

I wish I lived in the Northeast again because there are so many microbrews up there. I just don't see them down here.

spiffy

Ah yes McEwans Scotch Ale is a great beer. I haven't been able to find it around here but was lucky enough to try some in Scotland.

When I lived in Colorado, I was in beer heaven. Every town had a microbrewery and they were all fantastic. Now that I'm on the east coast, I have to actually look to find good beer. Anythign microbrew and anything from colorado would be my favorites.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

YES! The local place is now carrying Delerium Tremens...ahh, I could live off of this stuff.

Another great beer to add to the list that I had last night. Steam Whistle Pilsner. Brewed out of Toronto, Ontario. Very tasty and refreshing. Steam Whistle Linky

edit: Forgot a link
    Last edited by drew_goring; 11-24-2007 at 12:28 AM.

What a kawinky-dink, I just bought 4 bottles of the Delirium Nocturnum Noel (Christmas one). Hmm Hmm good. The normal Delirium Tremens and Nocturnum are always available in Total Wine. The Noel only comes out during the Holidays, so get as much as you can, if you see it. LOL.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by JFellows View Post
    YES! The local place is now carrying Delerium Tremens...ahh, I could live off of this stuff.

Thread Information