Thread: Greast Smoke! Is it just me?

Default Great Smoke! Is it just me?

I have mentioned this cigar in a few of my posts and no one has commented on it and I am curious if other have tried it and their opinions.

Recently I have been hooked on La Aroma De Cubas. Mostly the Robustos but also a couple of Figuardos. I think the flavor is quite smooth while being very full bodied. Not overpowering in the least. The only downside I have experienced with these is a slightly uneven burn but it is very slight. Cigar Aficionado rated the robustos a 93 back at the end of 2003 which doesn’t surprise me. Even my wife, who doesn’t smoke but likes the smell of a good cigar burning, said she really enjoys the scent of these more than most of the others I smoke. I have tried many other quality cigars in the past 6 to 8 weeks and none seem to be living up to these. Is this just me or are these smokes really hitting their peak?
    I would love to hear from others that have smoked these recently.

Guenzak
    Last edited by guenzak; 06-03-2005 at 01:37 PM.

SFG75 Guest

Hmmmm, can't say that I've ever had, let alone heard, of those. You got a link where one can get those online? I would definitely be interested in reading up about them.

I think I may have had a few of these about 4 years ago. Real fancy band with a chick on it? Lots of blue? Came in glass top boxes I believe.

If this is the cigar I'm thinking of I thought they were ok. Reminded me alot of the Dominican Red Dot Cohibas at a fourth of the price. Not a bad smoke for the price but I never got into them.

I'd go Mayorga for the price range. Just my .02.

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

Those are a nice cigar - I like them as well for exactly the same reasons as you say - and very reasonably priced!!! Good call

Here ya go, Scotty...

La Aroma de Cuba Cigars

Oh, BTW - Scotty - what DID your sigtag mean???

Here are a few places that these are available...

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/default....ist&brand=LADC
    http://store.pipesandcigars.com/laaromadecuba.html very low $83.99 per 25
    http://www.mdcigars.com/aromadecuba.htm

Very good for the price as you have said.

I also just noticed as I was getting these links that these are made by Ashton. That could have something to do with the quality.

These arent bad but in my opinion arent that great either. Id rather have a JdN or a Punch for the money.

Personally I dont give much weight in ratings from the mags, especially CA. Look at the cigars they rated and then look at the full page ads. Its no coincidence that the companies taking out the big money ads get the high ratings. The rating is in direct correlation with the size of the ad.

Im not trying to sound mean. If you like them thats all that matters, Hell I really like Jericho coronas and those are as cheap a smoke as you can get.

Blog Entries

I've pulled a few of these out of passes and had a few gifted to me. It seems they are popular among some cigar smokers but they did nothing for me. I thought they were kind of flat, construction was below average and I remember having burn problems due to stems. I also remember that the draw was too easy, like sucking on straw.

I won't be looking for these in the future.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Default Sorry to say......

that I wasn't impressed with LAdC's either.

I have tried several over the past year at varying times since my tobacconist recommended them (of course he would! he sells them!). I will also add that he seems to sell alot of them too.

BUT, and this is very important Quenzak.......

If you enjoy them THAT'S OK!!! Cigar smoking is very subjective. A cigar I like may be disliked by others and vice versa. One of my favorite cigars, the Fuente Double Chateau Sungrown has received some seriously bad reviews. But I happen to think it's a great cigar.

Everyone's taste is different

Quote Originally Posted by MMAB
    that I wasn't impressed with LAdC's either.

I have tried several over the past year at varying times since my tobacconist recommended them (of course he would! he sells them!). I will also add that he seems to sell alot of them too.

BUT, and this is very important Quenzak.......

If you enjoy them THAT'S OK!!! Cigar smoking is very subjective. A cigar I like may be disliked by others and vice versa. One of my favorite cigars, the Fuente Double Chateau Sungrown has received some seriously bad reviews. But I happen to think it's a great cigar.

Everyone's taste is different

Right on - Absolutely... I agree wholeheartedly...

Too many times I've smoked a cigar, said I've enjoyed it and others have said "WTF???". I've also found that something that I really liked several months ago, just doesn't do it for me anymore. Sometimes I think "what was I thinking???". I also find myself saying "WTF" when someone mentions liking a cigar I tried but could not stand...

I think people have specific tastes - some are VERY specific (some smokers I know won't take cigars I offer because it's not their brand) while others (including myself) like to experiment.

There are times when I fire up a new cigar I've never tried and just get that "WOW!" feeling. Of course, there are those times I light up a cigar and get the "BLECH" feeling!!! But - so goes the quest...

I hope there's not a day where I come across ONE cigar that just absolutely, positively does it for me. I know that sounds strange, but I really do enjoy trying different cigars and making my own choice about whether I like it or not. I think it's half the fun of smoking cigars - something new every day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese
    I hope there's not a day where I come across ONE cigar that just absolutely, positively does it for me. I know that sounds strange, but I really do enjoy trying different cigars and making my own choice about whether I like it or not. I think it's half the fun of smoking cigars - something new every day!!!
    thats what i like doing, trying different cigars, its fun trying them and rating them

Default strange you should mention.....

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese
    Right on - Absolutely... I agree wholeheartedly...

..............I've also found that something that I really liked several months ago, just doesn't do it for me anymore. Sometimes I think "what was I thinking???". I also find myself saying "WTF" when someone mentions liking a cigar I tried but could not stand...

I think people have specific tastes - some are VERY specific (some smokers I know won't take cigars I offer because it's not their brand) while others (including myself) like to experiment.

There are times when I fire up a new cigar I've never tried and just get that "WOW!" feeling. Of course, there are those times I light up a cigar and get the "BLECH" feeling!!! But - so goes the quest...

Interesting Ggiese.

Now I know that there are many factors that can affect a cigar's taste. What you may have eaten recently, hydration ( a big factor with me ), mood, etc.

I too sometimes smoke a cigar that is a favorite only to be disgusted with it and other times a cigar I normally don't enjoy tastes great.

Of course there is variation to a degree from cigar to cigar in a box, but sometimes the difference is drastic which leads me to believe that it is physiological / psychological in nature.

Blog Entries

Maybe I should have started a different thread for this BUT I've found that my opinion on certain cigars CHANGES over time. Many years back, I thought "Remedios" from JR were one of the best cigars going. I loved the way they tasted. A few years later, I've found these to be nowhere near as good as I did back then.

I used to think very little of Opus X but now I absolutely love them.

Then I got on my Cuban cigar kick and like many, pretty much swore off anything non-Cuban. Over the past year, I have found that half the time I smoke Cuban cigars and the other half the time I smoke domestics in all price ranges. This isn't necessarily a $$ thing because most of the domestics I smoke cost MORE than the Havanas I smoke.

If you had asked me two years ago what I thought of La Aroma de Cuba, I probably would have told you that I liked them but now I do not. AND, it's not because I'm just into "snobby" cigars now because while I love most high end cigars, there are a few inexpensive domestics that I absolutely LOVE like the Torano Exodus 1959s and Oliva "O" Bolds.

A long time ago, one of my friends from college who smokes cigars BUT not anywhere near at the level I do now told me "Don't smoke just ONE brand all the time because you'll get sick of them." Sure enough, that has happened to me, I've kind of "overdosed" on them and got sick of them. That is very good advice which I highly recommend.

So, while I may tell you today that I don't think too much of La Aroma de Cubas, who knows, I may change my mind a few years down the line. For now though, I generally don't smoke them.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 06-05-2005 at 12:01 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

i've had one and wasn't impress. an ashton rep. that was at my local shop talked me into trying one. i guess ashton makes them. along with a few other ashtons. but he gave me a good price. i only liked the VSG and don't remember the other two ashtons. but they were all (other than the VSG) lacking flavor.

Thread Information