Thread: Just curious - Can I sell my cigars?

Default Just curious - Can I sell my cigars?

Hi there,

Having been bitten by the cigar bug pretty hard, I have been rapidly accumulating cigars by picking and choosing good deals and grabbing them up. (Whether I have a good inventory I'm not quite so certain. But I will learn as I go.)

The wife, being concerned for our finances, wondered aloud if we could sell some of them from time to time.

Is there any prohibition against this? I don't feel inclined to do so (and I'd like to build up a nice enough selection that I can do some friendly trading), but now I am curious. Is selling cigars doable? I did not notice any seller's options on cbid, and e-bay appears to have no cigars for sale.

Any thoughts? Sorry if this is a stupid newbie question.

The sale of tobacco on eBay is prohibited, and cbid is only open to cigar international selling off their own inventory.

You can sell cigars on most cigar forums, but it would be very bad etiquette to do so with such a minimum amount of time on a cigar board such as you have. If you stick around, become a trusted member of the community, then you should have no problem selling cigars on cigar forums such as this one. The caveat though is that if you try to do this before you're a trusted member, or pretty close to becoming one, at least on this board, you will be chased away very quickly.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU View Post
    The sale of tobacco on eBay is prohibited, and cbid is only open to cigar international selling off their own inventory.

You can sell cigars on most cigar forums, but it would be very bad etiquette to do so with such a minimum amount of time on a cigar board such as you have. If you stick around, become a trusted member of the community, then you should have no problem selling cigars on cigar forums such as this one. The caveat though is that if you try to do this before you're a trusted member, or pretty close to becoming one, at least on this board, you will be chased away very quickly.
    Thanks for the excellent advice. I do not plan to do so any time soon, if at all. I was just curious.

To add to what BigMacFU said. When selling cigars to your fellow BOTL do not go into it trying to make a profit. Also remember you can get most cigars at a discount on the internet. So to say if a cigar cost you $10 at your locale B&M it might only be a $6 cigar on the net. Also deals are given by CI on cigars all the time. So if you got a box that cost you a $100 CI might have had a deal for the same box at $40 when they sell hundreds of boxes at once.

Best bet is to wait and get involved. Over time you will see how the community works and watches out for everyone. Then when you think you want to sell some thing do the research and then contact a FOG and ask them what they think before you post it. They will tell you if it's fair or not. Also ask about how to ship before you do anything. Not packaging cigars up right will get you into trouble fast.

Read more post less and take it slow.

DG
    DG
    SB
    HST
    AOD
    AOG
    CD

Ditto on what has been said previously. I also wanted to commend you for asking the question before you tried to sell cigars on this site.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka View Post
    Ditto on what has been said previously. I also wanted to commend you for asking the question before you tried to sell cigars on this site.

Me too. Normally a new guy just tries to sell and gets all bitter when people tell him off.

The reason people get jumped on is that a lot of scammers come around and claim to have this or that and then vanish with the money.

I'm not saying your one of those and considering you asked first I'm sure your not.

My advice is smoke two or three cigars a day from here on out and your excess cigar problem will take care of itself.

Thanks for the kind words. I was just asking for the future. I don't even know enough right now to even attempt to make intelligent sales offers anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    My advice is smoke two or three cigars a day from here on out and your excess cigar problem will take care of itself.
    That sounds like fun!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    snip....My advice is smoke two or three cigars a day from here on out and your excess cigar problem will take care of itself.
    Yeah, right.........I smoke 3 a day regularly during all but the cold winter months....and still keep growing coolers. Let me know how it works out for you though.

You got any glass top Cuban Cohiba's? I'm always looking for those!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Yeah, right.........I smoke 3 a day regularly during all but the cold winter months....and still keep growing coolers. Let me know how it works out for you though.
    I know. It's looking that way for me already, although I don't (yet) smoke 3 per day.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    No, sorry. At this stage, even if I did, I would just offer to trade for something else, until I've been around for a while. :) No sales for me until I know what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by King Catfish View Post
    No, sorry. At this stage, even if I did, I would just offer to trade for something else, until I've been around for a while. :) No sales for me until I know what I'm doing.
    And that is why you should wait a while until you even think of selling.
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvin View Post

Well, yes. That's why I said it. Really, I was just curious. I get it now. Stay a while, read some more, learn some stuff. I get it.
    Last edited by King Catfish; 02-01-2008 at 08:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvin View Post
    I think that pretty much goes without saying!!!

Corvin - do YOU have any glass top Cuban Cohiba's you wanna give up... C'mon - everybody's got skeletons in their closet!!!

Corvin - do YOU have any glass top Cuban Cohiba's you wanna give up... C'mon - everybody's got skeletons in their closet!!!

Nope but I got some vintage Cremosas, Pirates Gold and other great cigars if you're in a buying mood.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Nope, but I do have a few left over Primetimes that a buddy gave me.
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

I can roll you some GG. I have all the same tobacco loose so I can send you the actual cigar sans bands and the glass top. Any interest?

WOW!!! This is awesome!!! Pickin 'em off like fish in a barrel!!!

Thread Information