Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: inhale?

I know what you mean! Glad it did come across as some fun joking around...I enjoy this board quite a bit. It's- shall I say...lively?

Not really sure how to best describe the atmosphere here, but I dig it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I know you're joking, but seriously, it's not the spirit here. We're not all here just to break people's stones, but when it's needed, it happens.

Will
    That's the thing to keep in mind, imho. More often than not, there is more to the story than what's seen on the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I know you're joking, but seriously, it's not the spirit here. We're not all here just to break people's stones, but when it's needed, it happens.

Will
    Speak for yourself...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Speak for yourself...
    Well, for you, it comes with the corresponding territory.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

How quickly the thread turns into something else... LOL!

For the sake of sharing, I take "partial inhales" at every third of my stogie for the sake of tasting the cigar better. Partial inhale in my case is to take full draw, exhale more than 3/4 of the smoke and inhale the rest and out through my nose to try and detect the rest of the aromas that I might have missed if I only rolled it in my mouth. I am a smoker by the way, so rolling and smoking techniques comes naturally. Though I have to say, I smoke a cigarette these days purely for the nicotine. It tastes horrible. I always look forward to the end of the day where I can wind down after dinner in my smoking room (I built one with ventilation fans) and enjoy my coffee and my stogie.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AshtonGirl View Post
    I feel like an idiot. I've been smoking for a couple years now and this concept still boggles me. How do you draw smoke in without inhaling? I assume I'm not inhaling because I smoke strong cigars and I've never gotten sick from a cigar which is saying something cause I have a terribly weak stomach. I don't get it. I put the cigar to my mouth and suck air in. As far as I know that is inhaling. How do you draw smoke in without inhaling? Just putting it in your mouth isn't going to do it.
    kleefurd, you made my day finding this thread! This little piece of trash "AshtonGirl" was banned from here in 2005 under her original screen name "Amanda" then comes back here in 2009 with this line of bullshit about how she "forgot" her old password (yeah bitch, because you were banned from here for wishing death on one of our members!) she made three posts under this new "Ashton Girl" moniker then crawled back under the rock from which she came and she's never been heard from again.

Look here at post #166 for one of the most outrageous things that has ever happened on this board The Amanda Meltdown Thread
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

I have never smoked a cigar without inhaling. I didn't know people didn't inhale cigars, I am in complete shock. I thought the whole reason for smoking anything was inhaling. I guess Clinton was on to something.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeyebw View Post
    I have never smoked a cigar without inhaling. I didn't know people didn't inhale cigars, I am in complete shock. I thought the whole reason for smoking anything was inhaling. I guess Clinton was on to something.
    On the other hand, I've smoked cigars for over 40 yrs, have never inhaled and don't know any cigar smokers that do. I also used to smoke cigarettes and when I did try inhaling cigars one time, I found that it changed the taste of the cigar for the worse.

Doc.
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

Wow, I guess I do learn something every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    On the other hand, I've smoked cigars for over 40 yrs, have never inhaled and don't know any cigar smokers that do. I also used to smoke cigarettes and when I did try inhaling cigars one time, I found that it changed the taste of the cigar for the worse.

Doc.
    I chain smoked cig's for over 30 years and inhaled, of course. The whole point of a cigarette is it's a nicotine injection system. You sure as heck don't smoke them for the taste. About a year after quitting cig's and say 6 to 8 months after starting cigars, I had a drag off a cigarette and wondered why I ever smoked something that tastes like I imagine a dog's ass would were I to lick it.

Cigars on the other hand, have real flavors and that's the whole point of smoking them. I don't inhale them for two reasons.

1) I smoked cigarettes and inhaled because I was addicted to nicotine. I did not enjoy the withdrawal from said nicotine in the least and do not plan on EVER going through that again.

Yes, I'm aware I end up inhaling a certain amount of smoke and absorbing a certain amount of nicotine either through my lungs or my mouth/saliva. But, I typically only smoke cigars on the weekends (in the summer when it's possible to sit outside for 60 to 120 min's without dieing from hypothermia I might have one on a Wed evening after supper) and do not go through withdrawal or become an ogre for several days in between cigars. Going too long without a cigarette did turn me into a raving lunatic and that only took hours, not days to accomplish. I wouldn't go outside in -40 weather to get laid, but you can bet your ass I've gone out in it to get cigarettes.........LOL. If I ran out of cigars and the only option was going for a road trip in that kind of weather, I'd go without and not suffer.

2) I smoke cigars for the taste. There are no taste buds in my lungs.

I have a friend who likes to smoke the odd cigar of mine every now and then who does inhale. But for him it's more about nicotine injection/ingestion than it is about relaxing and enjoying a tasty cigar.

The people I smoke with regularly do not inhale.

I feel it's a case of each to their own but having been addicted hardcore to nicotine, I won't intentionally inhale cigars.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Regarding nicotine "delivery"......cigarettes are manufactured, and adulterated, in a manner to provide the tobacco with the proper PH to allow for, and increase the efficiency of, nicotine delivery in the lungs. The PH of cigar tobacco is controlled in such a manner as to provide for nicotine absorption to occur most effectively in the membranes of the mouth and nose. If you believe that you are not getting nicotine delivered through your cigar, whether you inhale or not, you are simply fooling yourself. Said PH control occurs throughout the tobacco production process....from soil management to fertilizer application to harvest time to curing process...etc,etc. PH is not the sole controlling factor, however it is one of the most important and controllable factors.

I think. Of course, I could have just made that shit up.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    <snip>... Said PH control occurs throughout the tobacco production process....from soil management to fertilizer application to harvest time to curing process...etc,etc. PH is not the sole controlling factor, however it is one of the most important and controllable factors...<snip>
    This is pretty damn interesting. Is the goal to keep the soil slightly acidic?

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    I chain smoked cig's for over 30 years and inhaled, of course. The whole point of a cigarette is it's a nicotine injection system. You sure as heck don't smoke them for the taste. About a year after quitting cig's and say 6 to 8 months after starting cigars, I had a drag off a cigarette and wondered why I ever smoked something that tastes like I imagine a dog's ass would were I to lick it.

Cigars on the other hand, have real flavors and that's the whole point of smoking them. I don't inhale them for two reasons.

1) I smoked cigarettes and inhaled because I was addicted to nicotine. I did not enjoy the withdrawal from said nicotine in the least and do not plan on EVER going through that again.
    ...<snippy snip>...
    2) I smoke cigars for the taste. There are no taste buds in my lungs.
    ...<snip snip>...
    I feel it's a case of each to their own but having been addicted hardcore to nicotine, I won't intentionally inhale cigars.
    I too was a slave to cigarettes. It took me ten years to kick the habit. However, I actually enjoyed the flavor of many different blends. Lucky strikes, and Drum come to mind. What really helped me quit was when they introduced the fire safe cigarette papers. Man, those taste like ass! Funny that I actually benefited from the heavy hand of federal regulation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FightingFish View Post
    This is pretty damn interesting. Is the goal to keep the soil slightly acidic?
    ..snip
    Short answer is yes...generally speaking a soil PH of 5.8 - 6.2 is what you're shooting for, or at least I am. Obviously, there are ways to manage the plant beyond simple soil management, but that's a much longer discussion. If you're truly interested, I can point you to a site where you can get this info and resources for more. PM me if you want.

Regarding nicotine "delivery"......cigarettes are manufactured, and adulterated, in a manner to provide the tobacco with the proper PH to allow for, and increase the efficiency of, nicotine delivery in the lungs. The PH of cigar tobacco is controlled in such a manner as to provide for nicotine absorption to occur most effectively in the membranes of the mouth and nose. If you believe that you are not getting nicotine delivered through your cigar, whether you inhale or not, you are simply fooling yourself. Said PH control occurs throughout the tobacco production process....from soil management to fertilizer application to harvest time to curing process...etc,etc. PH is not the sole controlling factor, however it is one of the most important and controllable factors.

That's actually very interesting and I hadn't known any of the above before. I knew that cigarette manufacturers add chemicals to their tobacco but I always assumed it was just to make it more addictive. Now I suspect the point of the chemicals is the PH balance as you stated along with better nicotine delivery. Wait............well duh!........increased nicotine delivery does equal more addictive........LOL

I do know, and have never kidded myself about it, that I'm getting nicotine from cigars. I always figured it would be substanstially less nicotine per drag due to not inhaling. Years of drug abuse by people has taught us one of the favored methods of consumption is via the lungs. That method is only beaten by direct injection into the bloodstream for intensity and speed with which the drug takes affect. I doubt people who smoke meth, coke, pot, or heroin (or anything else) would get much of a buzz from just holding the smoke in their mouth and occasionally exhaling through their nose.

Anyhow, this was interesting Jamie, thanks for posting that........I like learning new (to me) things!

Quote Originally Posted by FightingFish View Post
    I too was a slave to cigarettes. It took me ten years to kick the habit. However, I actually enjoyed the flavor of many different blends. Lucky strikes, and Drum come to mind. What really helped me quit was when they introduced the fire safe cigarette papers. Man, those taste like ass! Funny that I actually benefited from the heavy hand of federal regulation.
    I had forgotten about drum. That was a good tobacco and always strongly reminded me of pipe tobacco. I haven't touched that stuff since 1976/77....lol.

I should also add, US cigarettes have a completely different flavor from Canadian. To be honest, I always figured US cig's had a bit of a "cigar" taste to them. I will add they certainly had more flavor than Canadian cigarettes and I preferred them. Our (Canadian) cig's are all kind of bland in comparison.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

I should also add, US cigarettes have a completely different flavor from Canadian. To be honest, I always figured US cig's had a bit of a "cigar" taste to them. I will add they certainly had more flavor than Canadian cigarettes and I preferred them. Our (Canadian) cig's are all kind of bland in comparison.
    Canadian cigarettes typically use Virginia tobacco. American cigarettes use Virginia - but also use Burley tobacco (higher nicotene). American cigarettes also use chemicals that are not allowed in cigarette production in Canada. Burley and chemicals are why American cigs smell funny (to Canadians, Brits, and others that smoke Virgina cigarettes) and burn faster. That is also one of no doubt many reasons why cigar manufacturers are fighting FDA oversight in the USA - they will have to declare what is in their cigars other than tobacco, i.e., what is in their 'bethunes' or 'secret sauces' if they use them. (AFAIK, only Padron claims to use only water.)

Drum has burley and Virginia - I just finished off a pouch a couple weeks ago.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Canadian cigarettes typically use Virginia tobacco. American cigarettes use Virginia - but also use Burley tobacco (higher nicotene). American cigarettes also use chemicals that are not allowed in cigarette production in Canada. Burley and chemicals are why American cigs smell funny (to Canadians, Brits, and others that smoke Virgina cigarettes) and burn faster. That is also one of no doubt many reasons why cigar manufacturers are fighting FDA oversight in the USA - they will have to declare what is in their cigars other than tobacco, i.e., what is in their 'bethunes' or 'secret sauces' if they use them. (AFAIK, only Padron claims to use only water.)

Drum has burley and Virginia - I just finished off a pouch a couple weeks ago.
    Ding...ding.....ding.......

The conspiracy theorist in me begs the question...With the sickening number of deaths from lung cancer and emphysema directly attributed to cigarette smoking why would they not "control" the absorption differently as they do in cigars? I understand there are risks smoking anything, but if you can avoid bringing toxins into your lungs and still get the same effect from your preferred drug of choice (nicotine) why wouldn't they? Short answer IMO is Big Pharma and Big Tobacco like it that way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post
    The conspiracy theorist in me begs the question...With the sickening number of deaths from lung cancer and emphysema directly attributed to cigarette smoking why would they not "control" the absorption differently as they do in cigars? I understand there are risks smoking anything, but if you can avoid bringing toxins into your lungs and still get the same effect from your preferred drug of choice (nicotine) why wouldn't they? Short answer IMO is Big Pharma and Big Tobacco like it that way.
    I would not even begin to comment/debate the motivations of "big tobacco".

Blog Entries

I would not even begin to comment/debate the motivations of "big tobacco".
    Profit.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Profit.
    Well, I kinda took that one for granted.

Thread Information