Thread: Cigar Trivia

Default Cigar Trivia

Groucho Marx favorite cigar was a Dunhill 510 (That would have been select Cuban in the time)

George Burns favorite cigar was an El Producto (That would have been cheap domestic)

Why, you might ask, would the two comedians make that choice, when both could certainly afford the better cigars?

George Burns always smoked a cigar in his stand-up acts. A tightly rolled Havana would go out and he would have to re-light it. When his cigar went out so did his audience. Therefore the El Productos stayed lit and so did his act.

I suspect that he also smoked other cigars, but have not found a testimony to any brand preference.

I've heard that before about Mr. Burns.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Default aficionado

Aye me too. Read it in the Cigar aficionado. What about Groucho though? Why did he smoke those???
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

"Aye me too. Read it in the Cigar aficionado. What about Groucho though? Why did he smoke those???"

I'm not sure why he chose Dunhill, just read it in a biography. However, I can say with some certainty that I would love to have a few pre-embargo Dunhill 510's regardless if they belonged to Groucho or not.

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    I've heard that before about Mr. Burns.

One of my Fav Quotes from Mr. Burns was on his 99th Birthday. He was asked what sex was like at his age. His reply,”Sex at my age is like shooting pool with a wet rope!”

LOL That Kills me every time.

George Burns was 100 when he died. Supposedly he smoked a cigar on that day!

Default Cigar Lighter in my Packard?

Wikipedia...
    "The car cigarette lighter socket or car adapter that most automobile drivers and passengers are familiar with is properly called a cigar lighter receptacle, since it was originally designed as a lighter for cigars — hence its large size and unheated center that makes it less than ideal to light a cigarette."

Actually, they do light a cigar quite well. It evenly "toasts" the foot before it lights. I believe that both Bonnie and Clyde used their lighter quite often.

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    Aye me too. Read it in the Cigar aficionado. What about Groucho though? Why did he smoke those???
    this might answer your question.

Default Groucho

Good read in Aficionado:
    http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...540,19,00.html

BTW - 50 Dunhill 410"s a month, not 510's like I previously posted.

Default Aladdin's Lamp

A small lamp in the shape of an ancient lamp, like the one like that which belonged to the legendary Aladdin. It has a single wick opening. This is, in fact a cigar lighter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lighter.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	746  

interesting stuff

Default Cuban Air

The average relative humidity in La Habana, Cuba is 78%. No wonder those guys always have a few sticks in their shirt pocket.
    During the wet season mold & beetles could be a problem. They most likely "dehumidify" their humidors to keep the RH a little lower? Just curious.

Thread Information