Thread: Cigar Storage Manifesto

Default Cigar Storage Manifesto

I know this has been posted somewhere in here before, but I figured I would repost it so it is not buried because I think it is a good resource.

Cigar Nexus has some good information even though it is rarely updated now, and this overview on cigar storage is a good read for anyone starting out with a humidor.

The Cigar Storage Manifesto by Steve Saka

Paul
    aka
    labmonkey

wow... lots of good info in there...

hmmm said it was alright to keep cigars at below 50 degrees...
    since I dont have airconditioning in the dorms its averaging about 75-85 in my room... way too warm...

i think i could fit my tupperware in the fridge...

you guys think there would be any problem with doing that?
    -=JStrider=-
    ~a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. -- Rudyard Kipling

~Clatto Verata Nicto

Not sure....may not be a bad idea...I have heard that long term storage in higher temps can promote mold growth.

Anyone else have an opinion on this one?

not even mold growth... but above 75ish ya start running the risk of having beatles hatching...
    -=JStrider=-
    ~a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. -- Rudyard Kipling

~Clatto Verata Nicto

Won't temps that low slow down or even stop the aging process?

from the website

"There is no such thing as a high quality inexpensive humidor. Be prepared to spend $300 or more for a 150+ cigar humidor."

Is this guy shopping at real uppity places or are the humidors I am finding online at tampa humidor and humidor central and thompson just pure crap?

Filipino, born and raised. Now living in Sherwood Park Alberta, Canada

Talking

i owe most of my cigar knowledge from good cigar sites, and one of them is cigarnexus.com. great suggestion Paul, especially for the newbies.

stick, i would tend to disagree with that quote. as long as you can keep a constant and ideal temperature and humidity for your cigars, then that's what makes a good humidor. doesn't matter if its glass, wood, plastic, steel, etc. heck, you can even leave them out in the open if your temperature and humidity is at 70/70 (which never happens.)
    You are what you eat. That's why I'm a fat bastard.

Blog Entries

I would not recommend a refrigerator because the problem is refrigerators are very DRY and you'll probably ruin your cigars. You could try it but be sure to monitor the RH in the tupperware closely.

Your probability of encountering mold problems does increase with warm storage temperatures BUT again, I think you'd do more harm to your cigars by putting you cigars in the fridge. While your room may be warm, so long as it's not too humid, I think you'll be fine.

http://store.yahoo.com/appliancedisc...rsewicebc.html

What about a wine fridge. Don't they keep the humidity higher to stop the corks drying out??? plus the temp isn't as cold as a normal fridge. You coudl keep your sippin whiskey cold in there

Blog Entries

It would depend on how high the humidity can be set. If it's between 65% and 75% RH you should be good to go.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

I don't know anything about wine fridges but I think I head something like that. Maybe they just tip the bottles down so the wine can keep the cork's moist. Just a suggestion.

Thread Information